Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    462

    How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    Just came back from a weekend trip to Disneyland. While reading the usual E-Tickets, I couldn't help but wonder how much power/control do the CM's have on the attraction themselves. For example, Indy. On numerous occasions I notice the attraction become more or less rough. I know this isn't on accident, and it got me thinking how much control does a cast member have on the attraction experience?

    Another example being on the water attractions such as Splash and GRR. I've heard that they can control how wet you get on the attractions based on season or weather.

    Is this the CM's prerogative, or are they told to do this by upper control?

    Maybe a CM can comment, any info would be greatly appreciated!

  2. #2

    • Built for Sin
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    97

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    Quote Originally Posted by d1mex View Post
    Just came back from a weekend trip to Disneyland. While reading the usual E-Tickets, I couldn't help but wonder how much power/control do the CM's have on the attraction themselves. For example, Indy. On numerous occasions I notice the attraction become more or less rough. I know this isn't on accident, and it got me thinking how much control does a cast member have on the attraction experience?

    Another example being on the water attractions such as Splash and GRR. I've heard that they can control how wet you get on the attractions based on season or weather.

    Is this the CM's prerogative, or are they told to do this by upper control?

    Maybe a CM can comment, any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Indy is programmed to ride the way it does, it would really be out of their hands to change it. They just ensure it operates according to plan, and e-stop if some arises.

    Water rides cannot be controlled immediately. The wetness is based on water levels. Less water=less wet ride experience. It takes a while to adjust, hence winter and summer modes, which are different water levels, from my understanding.


    http://www.elementridr.blogspot.com

    Oh, Mother War!
    Sleep in your arms tonight, I'm burning
    I'm burning for your love
    This juggernaut of bronze and alcohol
    Machines of vengeance now are born

    -Black Dahlia Murder

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    72

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    I believe it is a team effort its not just one CM who decides if a vehicle should stop. Many CMs on the E-Tickets will probably spend most of the time making sure the timing for each of the vehicle is as precise and as in sync with the other vehicles as possible and sometimes at the cost of the guest getting more or less wet or "less roughness"

    I think thats mostly right correct me if I'm wrong

  4. #4

    • hi!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,778

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    regarding the Grizzly River Run, i'd like to know what the deal is behind that last huge water geyser near the end of the run. i thought perhaps there would be some kind of pattern to it.. but it seems to be totally at random. would put me at ease knowing whether or not it really is.

    i've fallen victim to that geyser only once. it was going crazy as we approached it, but i thought we were clear since our boat would cover it up as we went over it. totally didn't take into account the water that was already shot up in the air. we covered the geyser just as planned, but the water in the air fell onto everyone. and we're not talking a splash. every single person looked like we had jumped into a pool with our clothes on. haha.
    -plagued

  5. #5

    • Built for Sin
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    97

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    Quote Originally Posted by plagued View Post
    regarding the Grizzly River Run, i'd like to know what the deal is behind that last huge water geyser near the end of the run. i thought perhaps there would be some kind of pattern to it.. but it seems to be totally at random. would put me at ease knowing whether or not it really is.

    i've fallen victim to that geyser only once. it was going crazy as we approached it, but i thought we were clear since our boat would cover it up as we went over it. totally didn't take into account the water that was already shot up in the air. we covered the geyser just as planned, but the water in the air fell onto everyone. and we're not talking a splash. every single person looked like we had jumped into a pool with our clothes on. haha.
    That geyser > the rest of the ride.

    And just when you thought you were getting off dry.


    http://www.elementridr.blogspot.com

    Oh, Mother War!
    Sleep in your arms tonight, I'm burning
    I'm burning for your love
    This juggernaut of bronze and alcohol
    Machines of vengeance now are born

    -Black Dahlia Murder

  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bothell, Wa
    Posts
    3,418

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    Quote Originally Posted by plagued View Post
    i've fallen victim to that geyser only once. it was going crazy as we approached it, but i thought we were clear since our boat would cover it up as we went over it. totally didn't take into account the water that was already shot up in the air. we covered the geyser just as planned, but the water in the air fell onto everyone. and we're not talking a splash. every single person looked like we had jumped into a pool with our clothes on. haha.
    Am I weird for wanting that to happen to me one of these days?
    Trips coming up:

    May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

  7. #7

    • .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,923

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    Quote Originally Posted by d1mex View Post
    Another example being on the water attractions such as Splash and GRR. I've heard that they can control how wet you get on the attractions based on season or weather.
    CMs have basic control. They are in charge of when vehicles are dispatched, responding to downtimes, and the startup and closing of the attractions.

    Attractions such as Indy have separate control systems for the vehicles. It's up to computers as to what kind of ride you'll get.

    Water rides vary based on the weight of the vehicle. That's about it.

  8. #8

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,382

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    Major power of CMs is to ensure safety of the guest. Getting them wet should take a far lower priority. (IMO.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  9. #9

    • Hukuna Matata!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona
    Posts
    3,788

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    Quote Originally Posted by plagued View Post
    regarding the Grizzly River Run, i'd like to know what the deal is behind that last huge water geyser near the end of the run. i thought perhaps there would be some kind of pattern to it.. but it seems to be totally at random. would put me at ease knowing whether or not it really is.
    haha.
    One of the funniest things to do is stand on the bridge and watch the random people get soaked! Great for Laughs!

  10. #10

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    Its really the maintanence workers and ride engineers who have this power as they have the authority and the tools to a) change the programs in the ride vehicles for Indy and b) control the water levels and water effects on GRR.

    The CM is the lowest on the chain as far as having any power to have these effects turned on or off at will. If anything its management that gives the orders to change things in the attraction but as far as having the power to do so? That's in the hands of the engineers/maint workers.

  11. #11

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,382

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    Its really the maintanence workers and ride engineers who have this power as they have the authority and the tools to a) change the programs in the ride vehicles for Indy and b) control the water levels and water effects on GRR.

    The CM is the lowest on the chain as far as having any power to have these effects turned on or off at will. If anything its management that gives the orders to change things in the attraction but as far as having the power to do so? That's in the hands of the engineers/maint workers.
    They're all CMs, last I checked.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  12. #12

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    They're all CMs, last I checked.
    I think that he was referring to the onstage attraction operators as the primary CM.

  13. #13

    • Mischievous Mouse
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    1178 Miles North of Disneyland
    Posts
    2,420

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    I'll address the question of Splash Mountain, I've noticed lot of HOW WET YOU GET depends on three major factors.

    •Water level: earlier in the day "seems" like higher (but I'm reasonably certain water level is maintained at a preset level all the time)

    •Weight in the log: The more weight, the more displacement upon plunges (simple physics)

    •Weight distribution: The more in front, less in back. Less dry up front!


    "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

    -Walt Disney

  14. #14

    • keh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,969

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    i think for indy, it's automatically programmed to which door you enter. i've noticed that the future door is a lot more rough than wealth. especially when you're going under the bridge in the main temple room, the future has two hard jerks, on to the right, and one lunges forward. wealth is not as strong in that section. and of course w/ the programming of the roughness is the lighting which is obvious. as for youth, i don't remember, i don't go through that door much.

    and i too have only ever gotten soaked by the geyser on GRR once, i've wanted to get soaked more times by it, but it usually goes away at the last moment. to which i call their bluff.

  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    157

    Re: How much power does a CM actually have on an attraction?

    Quote Originally Posted by plagued View Post
    regarding the Grizzly River Run, i'd like to know what the deal is behind that last huge water geyser near the end of the run. i thought perhaps there would be some kind of pattern to it.. but it seems to be totally at random. would put me at ease knowing whether or not it really is.

    i've fallen victim to that geyser only once. it was going crazy as we approached it, but i thought we were clear since our boat would cover it up as we went over it. totally didn't take into account the water that was already shot up in the air. we covered the geyser just as planned, but the water in the air fell onto everyone. and we're not talking a splash. every single person looked like we had jumped into a pool with our clothes on. haha.
    Yeah, that's about how my in laws looked after they rode Grizzly and encountered 'Old Faithful,' as I call it. Boy was I glad I got tasked to take the nieces to Playhouse Disney instead....
    "Once upon a time there was a Magic Kingdom
    made of hopes and childhood fantasies
    A timeless place where every land was filled with wonder
    A place where everyone who enters its gates will be given the gift of the
    Young at Heart"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Pictures] Power of Music
    By DreamSweetsLove in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 09:52 PM
  2. [Fun] No will power
    By NemoVir in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 02:56 AM
  3. Theme Park Attraction Themed Attraction
    By Lectrorail in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 08:07 AM
  4. No power!!!
    By FrumiousBoojum in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 10:07 AM
  5. Did the power go out?
    By RZS in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 05:28 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •