Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1

    • Seeker of Fun
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,327

    World of Color Platform

    Ok...so don't mock me, because I'm sure this has been covered before. I was wondering if the WOC platform will be sub-merged during the day/night when the show isn't "on"?

  2. #2

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: World of Color Platform

    Yes it will be completely under water except during the show and the water will become more blue so you cannot see any of it under water.

  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,184

    Re: World of Color Platform

    Here's my rendition of what ICe101 said.

    (Disclaimer: I am not a professional artist. You have been warned! )

    The World of Color platform has 3 modes: "Maintenance", "Show", and "Sleep" (idk what to call it). What we are currently seeing is "maintenance". Everything is out of the water for construction, tweaking, and programming.



    Once everything is done and we start counting down the days until the show opens, the platform will be lowered to "sleep" mode. The platform will be completely submerged under the water (which will have been dyed) and never been seen by us again during DCA operating hours (under normal circumstances).



    When it's showtime the platform will rise up to "show" level. The platform itself will still be under the water but the nozzle heads will be peaking out.



    At the conclusion of the show everything goes back under the water until the next show.

    EDIT: My drawings look like they were made by a Preschooler with ADD on crack...and I'm ok with that

  4. #4

    • Autobot Weapon Specialist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    6,208

    Re: World of Color Platform

    Close but not quite. The X joints arn't holding it up, they are free-floating, the x-joints just keep the platform aligned.


  5. #5

    • Love HD videos!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water
    Posts
    1,679

    Re: World of Color Platform

    Of course the platform is going to be submerged under water in the daytime. Why would they show all this hideous looking mechanic things.

    One good example, is the Las Vegas Belligio Water Fountain Show.

    When the show is over the platform is submerged, then 1 min before the show start the nozzles are raised out of the water only. You will not see the platform at all only the water nozzles.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360


  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,184

    Re: World of Color Platform

    Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Close but not quite. The X joints arn't holding it up, they are free-floating, the x-joints just keep the platform aligned.
    Yeah I know that. The OP was about whether or not the platform will be visible during non-show periods and I didn't want to go into the unnecessary details like how the platform will be raised/lowered or its composition. My drawings were never meant to be technically/structurally exact. They were only meant to be a visual manifestation of someone's text based explanation.

    The scissor lifts are used to keep the platform locked at whatever level it is currently at and are keeping the platform above the water in the current maintenance level (assisted by the buoyancy created by the ballasts underneath the platform). Ultimately the platform is connected to the lifts which are anchored to the sea/lagoon/bay floor.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    98

    Re: World of Color Platform

    Thanks for the answers! I wanted to know as well...

  8. #8

    • Seeker of Fun
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,327

    Re: World of Color Platform

    Thanks so much!!

  9. #9

    •   
    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Laguna Beach,CA
    Posts
    7,175
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: World of Color Platform

    Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    Yeah I know that. The OP was about whether or not the platform will be visible during non-show periods and I didn't want to go into the unnecessary details like how the platform will be raised/lowered or its composition. My drawings were never meant to be technically/structurally exact. They were only meant to be a visual manifestation of someone's text based explanation.

    The scissor lifts are used to keep the platform locked at whatever level it is currently at and are keeping the platform above the water in the current maintenance level (assisted by the buoyancy created by the ballasts underneath the platform). Ultimately the platform is connected to the lifts which are anchored to the sea/lagoon/bay floor.
    I have No picture of Scissor Jack install, So I think WOC use them
    But "what see that WOC use Screw jack or cable to lock platform in place.

    like (O) Cirque du Soleil Show at bellagoio use water and Platform and a lot of Screw jack that you can swim under the platform.

    There are a lot Air box for buoyancy
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan





    Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

    Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

  10. #10

    • Fountain Fan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    273

    Re: World of Color Platform

    Yes, WoC uses scissor lifts. No cables or screw lifts. But as noted, the lifts exist only to hold the platforms and keep them from drifting and to lock them in place at show or maint. levels. Everything else is done with air tanks and floaters.

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,552

    Re: World of Color Platform

    It is good to see people discussing DCA projects in these last ten post since the project tracker has been pages of bickering over sitelines LOL

  12. #12

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,184

    Re: World of Color Platform

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    It is good to see people discussing DCA projects in these last ten post since the project tracker has been pages of bickering over sitelines LOL
    Seriously...I think a coup d’état is the only way we'll ever do any actual tracking over there

  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: World of Color Platform

    Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    When it's showtime the platform will rise up to "show" level. The platform itself will still be under the water but the nozzle heads will be peaking out.

    Fixed it for ya..


  14. #14

    • ohai
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,131

    Re: World of Color Platform

    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Yes it will be completely under water except during the show and the water will become more blue so you cannot see any of it under water.
    How will the water be more blue?

  15. #15

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,184

    Re: World of Color Platform

    Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    Fixed it for ya..

    Nice!

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRicky View Post
    How will the water be more blue?
    It'll be dyed just like ROA/JC/etc although the exact color is debatable and yet to be determined.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] world of color
    By mickdaddy in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-23-2010, 05:39 PM
  2. [Question] World of Color
    By JohnnyB in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-23-2009, 01:50 AM
  3. [Video] World Of Color, something like this?
    By TimmyTimmyTimmy in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 02:27 PM
  4. [Video] What's to Come to World of Color
    By Abominable Snowman in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 01:52 PM
  5. Small world without color or in color
    By napamaninsocal in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 08:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •