Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

Concession prices

So...

The Churro price increase stirred up this topic I've been batting around in my head for a while now.

As I observered as I wondered the park recently, alot of these mobile cart vendors were pretty bored, they reminded me of the Maytag repairman most of the time.

It got me thinking, a soda, 3.50, water, 3.00...cotton candy 3.50... 1/4 cup of sugar spun onto a paper stick ...? 3.50!!!

Why?

Well, gotta pay the employee salary, gotta pay for maitenance of the carts, electricity, inventory, distibution costs, procurement costs, etc.

So what starts out to be a relatively inexpensive item.. soon becomes expensive due to overhead.

And, due to cause and effect, the less people buy of these items...(which seems quite evident over the decades) the higher the costs go, leading to even less sales. How long until it is no longer cost effective to offer these concessions?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Re: Concession prices

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    Well, gotta pay the employee salary, gotta pay for maitenance of the carts, electricity, inventory, distibution costs, procurement costs, etc.
    All of which is a drop in the bucket compared to the multi-million-dollar compensation packages for Bob Iger and his platoons of Gold-Plated Executives.

So hurry up and eat your churros, kiddies. Executives are going hungry in Burbank!

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    All of which is a drop in the bucket compared to the multi-million-dollar compensation packages for Bob Iger and his platoons of Gold-Plated Executives.

So hurry up and eat your churros, kiddies. Executives are going hungry in Burbank!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• world class bilge rat

Mr Wiggins is right on the dot!

At the risk of being viciously attacked (again), I'll continue to express my dismay at the obscene salaries of the upper management of the Disney Co.

In my opinion, no person anywhere on this entire planet is worth that much money. No one.

But even if Churros cost $10 apiece, and Iger makes $27 BILLION a year, most of us will just pay up.

Sad indeed!

Rob

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Mr Wiggins is right on the dot!

At the risk of being viciously attacked (again), I'll continue to express my dismay at the obscene salaries of the upper management of the Disney Co.

In my opinion, no person anywhere on this entire planet is worth that much money. No one.

But even if Churros cost $10 apiece, and Iger makes $27 BILLION a year, most of us will just pay up.

Sad indeed!

Rob
    True.

But look around ALL corporate America... Disney top execs have plenty of good company in the "overpaid suits" club.

-Walt Disney

• former CM

I like this thread.

What is really obscene is Iger's compensation contrasted with the other Disney employees selling the churros.

And how many minutes of work in Disneyland would it take for that employee to have enough money to buy a stupid churro?

Like Eisner before him, I don't think Iger is a genius; and Disney could easily get a great CEO for just one million dollars a year.

John Lasseter is a genius and I think that the creative talent will have to be compensated differently, often rewarding them for the # of units they cause to be sold to people. So I don't have a problem with J.K. Rowling earning a billion over a couple years, but I do have a problem with Iger earning 100 million over the same period.

I would like a more reasonable ratio
    of the Iger's compensation
    to
    the lowest-paid, full-time D.land & WDW employee's compensation.

• Senior Minion

With apologies to the OP for going OT, my issue isn't executive compensation per se, but the longstanding habit of Disney and its defenders to "cry poor" as a justification for every lowering of quality and raising of price.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    With apologies to the OP for going OT, my issue isn't executive compensation per se, but the longstanding habit of Disney and its defenders to "cry poor" as a justification for every lowering of quality and raising of price.
    No appology ness.

But the cream is separate from the milk, even though they come from the same animal.

Expenses are isolated. I really do think "treats" are over-priced at DLR, I believe MOST people would agree. But when comparing them to Costo or Safeway or any other outlet... you must compare appropriately.

The reason a "mom and pop" grocery store has a snow-balls-chance-in-hell of surviving next to a franchised supermarket seems most obvious to anyone. Disneyland does not prohibit bringing in a candy-bar, or even a subway sandwich. So they are not creating an unfair situation for its guests.

If enough people stopped buying the over-priced goods, they would be force to...

A)Lower the price.

or

B)Stop selling them all together.

-Walt Disney

• let's talk Disney, okay!

look, the simple fact is this: They are impulse items, and people will buy them.

its the same reason grocery stores put magazines, gum, and candy where you check out. you came to the store to get something else, but you see that Gossip Mag and want to read about Brangelina (or Bachelor gossip, which is what i have been succeptible (sp?) to as of late).

I can't tell you how many times I BRING MY OWN SNACKS into the park, but I walk by that pretzel cart, and I can't help myself! I buy it on impulse. Now, whether it is a matter of will power or smart business sense, i choose smart business sense.

I would even go as far as to say its reputation. People hear about the wonderful treats at Disneyland, and they want to try them. Churros, Dole Whips, Frozen Bannanas, Mickey Ice Cream Bars, these are all food items that their reputations preceed them. And guests will buy them!

going a little OT here, "i won't buy a churro at Disneyland cause Iger makes too much" is a completely illogical thought process. If you really want to hurt the Disney company, stop watching ABC, ESPN, ABC Family, Lifetime, A&E, The History Channel, The Biography Channel, don't buy any Disney Media items (dvd's, cd's), don't go to the parks, don't use Hulu... Stay away from everything on this list.

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

God forbid a man who is responsible for the very future of the company, whose decisions have huge impact on how the company does, who worked for the company for years, starting darn near the bottom, attending lots of school, and oh yeah working insane hours should be compensated handsomely.

A multimillion dollar salary is also a drop in the bucket of Disney's operating expenses.

• Rock Star Minion

So...

The Churro price increase stirred up this topic I've been batting around in my head for a while now.

As I observered as I wondered the park recently, alot of these mobile cart vendors were pretty bored, they reminded me of the Maytag repairman most of the time.

It got me thinking, a soda, 3.50, water, 3.00...cotton candy 3.50... 1/4 cup of sugar spun onto a paper stick ...? 3.50!!!

Why?

So what starts out to be a relatively inexpensive item.. soon becomes expensive due to overhead.

And, due to cause and effect, the less people buy of these items...(which seems quite evident over the decades) the higher the costs go, leading to even less sales. How long until it is no longer cost effective to offer these concessions?
    Cause: not enough admission revenue.
    Effect: raise prices on everything else.
    Effect should be: raise admission revenue in the most optimal (and most painful) way.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Yes, I'd definitely agree high attendance with low merchandise and food/beverage consumption would seem to indicate pricing might not be optimal.

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousEndeavors View Post
    look, the simple fact is this: They are impulse items, and people will buy them.

its the same reason grocery stores put magazines, gum, and candy where you check out. you came to the store to get something else, but you see that Gossip Mag and want to read about Brangelina (or Bachelor gossip, which is what i have been succeptible (sp?) to as of late).

I can't tell you how many times I BRING MY OWN SNACKS into the park, but I walk by that pretzel cart, and I can't help myself! I buy it on impulse. Now, whether it is a matter of will power or smart business sense, i choose smart business sense.

I would even go as far as to say its reputation. People hear about the wonderful treats at Disneyland, and they want to try them. Churros, Dole Whips, Frozen Bannanas, Mickey Ice Cream Bars, these are all food items that their reputations preceed them. And guests will buy them!

going a little OT here, "i won't buy a churro at Disneyland cause Iger makes too much" is a completely illogical thought process. If you really want to hurt the Disney company, stop watching ABC, ESPN, ABC Family, Lifetime, A&E, The History Channel, The Biography Channel, don't buy any Disney Media items (dvd's, cd's), don't go to the parks, don't use Hulu... Stay away from everything on this list.

Almost, but a few people switching channels will have little if any IMPACT on the company's revenue flow.

Now assembling groups to boycott quantities of goods and services, adverising with t-shirts and picketting... maybe.

-Walt Disney

• let's talk Disney, okay!

Almost, but a few people switching channels will have little if any IMPACT on the company's revenue flow.

Now assembling groups to boycott quantities of goods and services, adverising with t-shirts and picketting... maybe.
    I forgot to mention stop buying products that advertise on networks owned by Disney... That way, the company loses money and can't spend the money to advertise, and don;t pay Disney for the air time!

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

• Future Imagineer!!

I don't care how high they go I will always buy at least 1 churro any trip!!! Hmmmm although maybe my cap will be like 5 bucks

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast