• Don't block on darkrides and in theaters

39 21.31%
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

No more cell phone use in dark rides

More and more in the parks people are enjoying the use of there lifeline (aka cell phone). Disney, a proactive company, has jumped on this developing the mobile magic activities.

However, there is nothing more annoying than riding through pirates with a texter infront of you, or a caller behind you. To combat this, I present a hypothetical situation. What if Disney installed the currently illegal cell phone jammers in order to end these annoying intrusions just on darkrides? Currently jamming technology is being developed to be adjustable to a specific area, and to be set to allow certain numbers (911, Disney's communication frequencies) to go through unhindered.

What do you think about this possibility? Shouldn't people be able to go 12 minutes without their phone going off in a theater, or texting away in the dark of a Bayou lagoon? I want to make it clear though that I dont think it should be blocked in the park or in the queues. Just in dark rides and theaters.
    Last edited by Trevor; 03-04-2010 at 08:45 PM.

• Shredder

Re: No more cell phone use in dark rides

Oh yes! I FULLY AGREE!

And while they are at it, they can install some kind of flash disruption device as well!

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

I don't like this idea - while I don't really use my phone in the parks, except to keep in contact with the rest of my family if we split up, I do want to have the ability to use my phone.

I just wish that more people would respectful enough to not use their phones while on rides, or in the audience of shows, etc.

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

I think this is a great idea.

I hate when when someone decided to turn on their phone or text, and the light from their phone darkened everything around me. For example, when I ride POTC, when the phone light turns on I can't even see what is in front of me.

Also, it could be illegal for Disney to create some sort of jammer to jam incoming and outgoing data from cellphone.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• The Study of Wumbo

Can't they just ask people not to use cell phones, like they do with flash photography? That should bring it down at least a little bit.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    Can't they just ask people not to use cell phones, like they do with flash photography? That should bring it down at least a little bit.
    They do, but it doesn't work. While riding Pirates I've heard ride PA's say "please turn off your cellphone" to a girl sitting on our boat, and then as soon as the boat rounded the corner she had it out again as if they couldn't see her anymore. Suffice to say, guess what I was looking at instead of the ride...

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chadb14 View Post
    I don't like this idea - while I don't really use my phone in the parks, except to keep in contact with the rest of my family if we split up, I do want to have the ability to use my phone.

I just wish that more people would respectful enough to not use their phones while on rides, or in the audience of shows, etc.
    Note I would never suggest blocking it park wide, just in some of the darker rides and shows.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Excessive cell phone use on rides can be irritating. Though I'm not as irritated if they are trying to locate family or friends.

On some rides like POTC my phone never gets reception anyway so even if I wanted to use it I couldn't. I don't underand why everyone else's seems to get it though.

But Disney can't use jamming systems because they are illegal. I believe that's a Federal law so they would have to lobby Congress to allow it. Disney has a lot of clout when it comes to dealing with local, county, and state politics. But having that kind of influence over Congress just because it irritates some people on a ride is a whole different story.

• Banned User

Last edited by disneyfan07; 03-05-2010 at 08:57 PM.

• Pumpkin Dragon

I dont have a phone yet, so it does'nt bother me much.

But, it is very rude to have exissive texting and calling for the audience as a whole.
    STOP CHEWING MY SHOELACES! D:

Ahh! The project is on fire! D:
    This fire has delayed our signature redesigning, Excuse the smoke...and the burnt pixie dust...
    I SUPPORT THE RETURN OF THE HATBOX GHOST!

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    Note I would never suggest blocking it park wide, just in some of the darker rides and shows.
    I get that, I really do, and I don't like people using their phones on the rides and in the shows, you know, show some respect for those around you, but I think it becomes a slippery slope when you start with just in dark rides and shows, then all of a sudden it's also in the queues, then only usable on Main St. etc., etc.

• Mickatey Mouse

I love my phone and I am practically glued to it, but when I am at Disneyland that thing is STORED away ALL DAY! I can't imagine having it out nonstop...

• show'em yer larboard side

Quote Originally Posted by mickatey View Post
    I love my phone and I am practically glued to it, but when I am at Disneyland that thing is STORED away ALL DAY! I can't imagine having it out nonstop...
    Sometimes I don't even take my phone with me into the parks. It sits in the hotel room most of the day.

Also, I'm totally with the OP on this idea...if only it were possible.

"No fear have ye of evil curses, says you? Properly warned ye be, says I. Who knows when that evil curse will strike the greedy beholders of this bewitched treasure?"

DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

"Perhaps ye knows too much. Ye've seen the cursed treasure, ye know where it be hidden. Now, proceed at yer own risk. These be the last friendly words ye'll hear. Ye may not survive to pass this way again."

• Banned User

Yes, NO cell phones at all. I, for one find it distracting in line and on the rides as well. I want to HEAR the attraction, not a conversation about other's lives. So I agree with the OP.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast