Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

•   

re: Tron E-Ticket and Big Thunder Trains (Merged Threads)

After thing about the Tron thing, I think that the only way I would really like this if the trains were individual cycles, not multi-cycles per train.

I know that would kill capacity, but it would really make the experience outstanding. Also a dualing track would fit the bill also.

Otherwise, as far as a themed Vekoma Std train (8-12 passenger), I would pass.
    Last edited by SanDiegoAl; 03-05-2010 at 11:49 AM.

• Senior Minion

As wild as it sounds, one rumor going around the Disneyland Resort is WDI is in talks with Vekoma on creating a Tron Lightcycle themed version of their Booster Bike coaster.
    That's not a wild rumor.

A wild rumor would be that Disney is in talks with WDI on creating a unique, first-of-its-kind, totally innovative Tron attraction that is not based on somebody else's amusement park ride.

Rumor or reality, "Booster Bike II: The Tron Sequel" is typical of today's Disney thinking. If someone else hasn't dreamed it, built it and made it a proven hit first, Disney won't touch it.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-05-2010 at 01:09 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    I think using the Big Thunder trains in a Tron E-Ticket would be terrible themeing!

Hmm... maybe I should read beyond the subject line.
    I had the same thought. In fact, as I started to read the thread I thought it might be an absurd rumour to replace Big Thunder with a Tron attraction.

I could live with the Big Thunder change, but it's hardly necesscary or worth spending any money on. If they moved the train engine to the back a la Expedition Everest, I imagine many people would appreciate the improved view from the front of the train.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

I haven't seen Tron all the way though but from all I hear and see, especially with the sad state of current TL, adding in a Tron coster would be awesome. Think of TL with Captain EO back, Tron Coaster, new Star Tours AND if we could get some sort of people mover replacement... it's sounding better all the time.

As far as the cars on BTMRR, I actually like the idea. If it is me and one of my kids sitting with me, the lap bar NEVER touches them at all. I'm a big guy, but not huge and it's still a major issue. Plus it makes it uncomfortable for me since I try to get it down as far as possible. Individual lap bars are ideal, IMHO and not any real detraction from the ride.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    A wild rumor would be that Disney is in talks with WDI on creating a unique, first-of-its-kind, totally innovative Tron attraction that is not based on somebody else's amusement park ride.
    That's what I've heard. (Or maybe they cut the budget since)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Do any of you suppose that Innoventions might become supposed Tron Coaster?

Timekeeper

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Actually, I think an update to the seats on the Big Thunder trains would be welcome. One of the reasons I hesitate to go on that ride is because I often feel like my butt is sliding right out of the seat. I'll admit, it's gotten better with the updated safety stuff, but I still spend half the ride re-situating myself.

A more secure ride would let me enjoy everything more.

Good riddance to the Big Thunder trains. (One photo was from Darkbeer on another Disney site a while ago, another is from some random guy's website).

All of the trains were altered after the 2003 crash. One of the front two wheels that jammed and derailed Train 2 (Now called Train 7) was simply removed from all the trains.

I see no problem with Disney getting new trains. They've looked hacked up for 7 years.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I think the Tron idea is awesome, but am I the only one that isn't seeing this as a fully-indoor coaster?

To create multiple launch zones on a standard Vekoma Booster bike would require a huge stretch of land (even if they followed Intamin's Maverick and put one below the other). To hide this indoors would require a large plot of land and a large showbuilding. Plus to do multiple launch zones on any standard/compact coaster (which anything Disneyland gets will be) would kill the pacing and ruin the ride. You could claim Screamin gets away with something similar (launch and then lift) but screamin is one of the LONGEST coasters in the world, and it is no way compact.

I read this rumor as the current track/layout would (mostly) be replaced by said Vekoma track (hidden/themed of course), subsequently giving a spread out space for launch zones without requiring a massive plot of land OR turning Disneyland into Six Flags. Said twisty finale would be in a new building replacing the current carousel building before the coaster would head back through the Buzz building and onto the current/old PM/RR track layout (though probably skipping the Sublagoon/Autopia section.

It couldn't perfectly follow the existing layout, but it would come across much less "coaster-like", would add kinetics and would allow for multiple launch zones without doing a "launch-break-launch-break" high wear and tear, poorly paced, "kills all the fun" type ride (I'm looking at you Hollywood Suck-Ride And Rockit).

Some of this is my own conjecture/what I would like to see. But when I read that this morning I didn't take it to be a standard booster bike plopped into a building.

• Future Princess

Having never even seen Tron, I quite like the possible idea of a ride along that theme. I don't think anyone could argue that TL needs all the help it can get.

And I also have no issue with replacing the Big Thunder trains. Individual lap bars could be beneficial, especially to larger parents with smaller kids.
    "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by dl1955pounds View Post
    Good riddance to the Big Thunder trains. (One photo was from Darkbeer on another Disney site a while ago, another is from some random guy's website).

All of the trains were altered after the 2003 crash. One of the front two wheels that jammed and derailed Train 2 (Now called Train 7) was simply removed from all the trains.

I see no problem with Disney getting new trains. They've looked hacked up for 7 years.
    I know there the same trains, but I don't recall our version going to the left in the first pic.

I'm interested to see if the new Thunder Trains will happen becuase the new design plan doesn't sound too bad.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

I'm cautiously intrigued by the Tron coaster idea. It all depends on the execution, but so far my dislike of more movie-based rides is being countered by my wish for a more futuristic Tomorrowland.

I'm also split on the Big Thunder train upgrade. On one hand, having a little freedom of movement can be fun and exciting, but lately I do feel a bit more beat up after riding Big Thunder, so maybe there is too much freedom to move.

• Future Cast Member :)

Quote Originally Posted by A113 View Post
    Lawyers are possibly the reason for the new trains, the trains as they are now aren't very "safe." I've been able to slide from side to side on the ride, but that doesn't mean I hate it .

Oh, awesome avatar man ^
    lol I agree. I purposely have the seat bar loose, so on the little drops, your in the air practically :P

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGhost View Post
    lol I agree. I purposely have the seat bar loose, so on the little drops, your in the air practically :P
    Same here! I'm always in my own row so I tend to slide form one side to the next very easily. And the lap bars sometimes don't go all the way down so I do feel air in some parts of the ride.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Not Here / Not Now

^ I once got away with the restraint locked about 5 inches loose at night in the backrow, the CMs made the guests do a manual restraint check to pull on your own restraints (which isn't correct conduct IMHO, regarding safety), and I got a pretty wild experience out of it (really stupid idea, but man was it worth the experience). Kiddies, don't try it at home .
    California Screamin' Ride Count: 111

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast