Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Future Indy Castmember

Re: Why not run all vehicles all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    The only time this all bugs me is on Big Thunder Mountain. After the 10:30 show there's always a sizable line, so why remove the trains so early? They make what could have been a 15/20 minute wait a 35/40 minute wait. Grr...
    Good question. Usually they assume that after the 10:30 fan!, that a lot of those people would leave.

And its usually at the final hour until park closing. THey usually start putting trains away that aren't "supposedly" needed around that time.

As the final hour goes on, the line eventually diminishes to a short wait. On a number of occasions with Indy, when I enter the ride around the last hour, I see the line outside going through the whole outside portion. Then when I come out, the line had amazingly shortened.

I guess once they remove vehciles early, the CM at the loading area has to be quick to make the line faster. From my experience thats been the case.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Future Indy Castmember

[QUOTE=Trainfanbob;1055856790]Yes sir The Forbidden Eye nails another one... As a CM at Indy we have 17 vehicles but this past Tuesday they were having so much trouble with 8 of them.QUOTE]

Amazing how I know all this and i'm not working there yet. LOL

Wow, you guys must've had a hard time running the ride on tuesday.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Johnny and Me!

Space Mountain CAN (and did) run 12 trains at once, but there are never more than 11 trains on the track these days. Why? Too hard to get the trains through the station before they started to back up, causing a breakdown. The losses in capacity due to breakdowns were greater than the gains in capacity from running 12 trains.

• Disneyland Nomad

slow loaders + all vehicle = downtimes.. no no no that is out of frustation. All the ride cars that dlr has are run almost 24 hours. Day its the park guest, night its mantaince. They wear out, even days when all ride cars can be put on, usually one will break down or cause problems and have to be switched out. Its not that they arent being fixed, but look what kind of pressure is put on them. Its like your car at home you fix something something else goes wrong. Even with extras, they all get used so much, that you cant always run on capacity. Ex. my avatar looking at that I know that caterpillar is 50 + years old so are the rest of them, we should be happy they work as best as they do.
    Last edited by karebear286; 03-06-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: *
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

The Beatles

• Seasick

Running less vehicles on a slow day is fine, I expect wait times every day of the year.

However, I'm not sure they don't overdo it. When I was at Disneyland back in October, they only ran one side of the Matterhorn during the week. Consequently, it had a 60+ minute wait all day on a Wednesday in October. I waited far less time to ride it (as well as California Screamin) on the weekend days.

Running a few less trains/cars on the slow days is fine, but when it results in line-ups that are longer than the weekend (with less park hours to fit everything in), something isn't right.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Minion

Because at the end of the day if i could ride every ride in one day at DL why whould i stay for two? DL does not want you to do everything in a day they want it to take forever hence they dont want you to move through the line quickly. Think about it you wait 60 minutes for a three minute ride. If you waited the equivialent for the lenght of the ride you would be home in bed by 8.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• DL Obsessed

Look at Splash Mountain...
    A lot of the times that i have rode splash mountain during the slightly busier times, i have to wait a couple of minutes after the ride is over because there is a backup of like 7 boats.
    So i think it really depends. Obviously they dont want to run too many side on slow days because its not as productive and cost effective, but also sometimes they just try and run as many as they can im sure and cant push it.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Didn't see it mentioned, but the other thing to consider is the risk of 101's. Some rides, specifically coasters go 101 if the cars get to close, meaning that more vigilance is needed during the loading and unloading. If your constantly waiting for people to come down the line, the CM might hold the train just a bit to long in order to get those people on it before it departs. Also, sending an empty train just to clear the section seems like such a waste!

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    ..so I'd have to pay 25% more for my annual pass... WHY?
    Because its already only priced at 50% of its value.

Quote Originally Posted by oo_nrb View Post
    But there's still only one track for those attractions, so the time spent in line wouldn't change with the addition of another line, right? Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible).

In fact, 2 lines would mean you'd move twice as slowly, because they'd have to take people out of line #1, and then line #2, and then line #1 again, so each line would appear to move more slowly than it would with just one line.
    Depends. If loading times are what is slowing down the ride, and there is more space between trains than needed because of this, then opening a second station to speed up loading would indeed quicken the line.

Also, you'd have two lines moving just as fast as the one line of course. Sure, each would take turns moving a train ahead, but the single line would have simply just moved a train ahead twice by the time both have. With the two line method, you would also get closer to the front of the line faster as the queue would be shorter.

• I love my family!

Like has been said before there is a very simple answer.

Park attendance estimates=labor costs=CM shifts Scheduled=number of vehicles on line.

It's just that simple.

I would guess most if not all theme parks use the same process to plan day to day operation and staffing plans.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12