Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

Why not run all vehicles all the time?

I'm sure it's been discussed. But I don''t recall seeing it.

I'm sure there is some logic behind this. I don't see a huge HUGE expense or wear difference in minimum to maximum, but you may be able to enlighten me.
    Would speed up lines on slower days forsure.

Run rides at full capacity that is.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Future Indy Castmember

Re: Why not run all vehicles all the time?

All vehicles need to have maintence once in a while. Running them all the time would be a problem because certain rides that break down is the cause of one vehicles at certain times (Indy for instance)

And plus, running all of them on a slow day doesn't seem necessary.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

I don't see a huge HUGE expense or wear difference in minimum to maximum, but you may be able to enlighten me.
    It adds up quick.

Wheels and other components would wear down quick.
    Wear and tear on the tracks and show scenes.
    Staffing to run at Max capacity.
    And when you are sending out half full or empty trains it just doesn't make sense to run a ride at max capacity on a slow day.

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    It adds up quick.

Wheels and other components would wear down quick.
    Wear and tear on the tracks and show scenes.
    Staffing to run at Max capacity.
    And when you are sending out half full or empty trains it just doesn't make sense to run a ride at max capacity on a slow day.
    It makes sense to guests who wait far far less time to ride the rides.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    It makes sense to guests who wait far far less time to ride the rides.
    ..so I'd have to pay 25% more for my annual pass... WHY?

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Also remember that when you say all vehicles you have to clarify if you mean "maximum vehicles allowed to run at once" or "all vehicles they have".

There is a big difference between the two. Now I am fan of parks running at the best capacity they can as often as they can, I think going on a slow day to a park and having to wait for rides is one of the worst things. Especially coasters, 1 train OPs kill me. But I understand why they don't/can't do it.

However, a dark ride can only hold so many cars on the track at once before the ride begins to "cascade" meaning they can't cycle/dispatch them fast enough, and they back up into the ride and every car has to stop. The easiest (this is not scientific - don't try to over-analyze it) way to think of the "ideal" number of cars is that there are no backups based off the "ideal" dispatch time: the moment a vehicle leaves the load area it runs perfectly all the way to unload...but at the same time you have enough vehicles that you always have a vehicle loading and unloading and never "starve the load". This is done by a great combination of good operations and the right amount of vehicles. So you could never run all 15 cars on "X Ride", the track is designed for 12.

Sometimes however they push the limits and add vehicles, and subsequently you get your backups. WDW's Jungle Cruise and Snow White are great examples of this. I can't think of anytime in the past YEARS (decade?) where I didn't backup or cascade in Snow White. Pooh is starting to get in that habit too.

• YAY! SUMMER IS OVER!

I really hate when rides such as BTMRR or CS have only 1 side running. And the lines get really long. It wouldn't be that hard to separate the crowds to both sides. Its quicker. >.<
    MEOW.

Quote Originally Posted by itsxxdomoxxkun View Post
    I really hate when rides such as BTMRR or CS have only 1 side running. And the lines get really long. It wouldn't be that hard to separate the crowds to both sides. Its quicker. >.<
    But there's still only one track for those attractions, so the time spent in line wouldn't change with the addition of another line, right? Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible).

In fact, 2 lines would mean you'd move twice as slowly, because they'd have to take people out of line #1, and then line #2, and then line #1 again, so each line would appear to move more slowly than it would with just one line.

^^Unless they add trains to the attraction running both stations would not help with the line.

• Banned User

I think it has to do with how many people are in the line for the specific ride, and also maybe they do not run all the “cars” due to saving electricity. But sometimes I think that it would make more sense to run all the cars on a ride to get the line moving faster.

this is a good thread!! thanks to who started it! i have always wondered also why the reason for not running the rides in full!

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by love♥dca View Post
    I think it has to do with how many people are in the line for the specific ride, and also maybe they do not run all the “cars” due to saving electricity. But sometimes I think that it would make more sense to run all the cars on a ride to get the line moving faster.

this is a good thread!! thanks to who started it! i have always wondered also why the reason for not running the rides in full!
    It all boils down to maintence issues with all the cars on the rides. But it's up to the manageers of each attraction on how many cars to run and how many they can possibly run. Not to mention that the projected attendance for any day reflects on how many to run and how many CM's are scheduled to work at an attraction. For a ride with 2 stations, if there isn't enough CM's then they'll only run one side.

Indy has 17 jeeps in total. but are only able to run 15. The 2 backstage are either both getting a fix or on standby or one is under maintence and one is a spare.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

It boils down to labor costs.
    Some attractions run at the same capacity regardless of staffing (Splash, Pirates, Buzz, all the dark rides). Others have to incur more labor costs, which is determined based on park attendance.
    Maintenance has little to do with it, as does "saving electricity." There are cases where vehicles may not be available (Indy), but mostly it's staffing.

Yes sir The Forbidden Eye nails another one... As a CM at Indy we have 17 vehicles but this past Tuesday they were having so much trouble with 8 of them. We couldn't use both sides even if we had the staffing... But yes it is mainly a labor issue and maintaining those bad boys (very technical indeed)...

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    It boils down to labor costs.
    Mostly this is true.

There are some occurrences though, there running at full capacity doesn't actually net you any more capacity. I gave an explanation about this once before when someone asked why they don't run three Monorails.

The math is pretty complicated but let me give a real simple explanation:

Lets say that you have a roller coaster ride that is about 3 minutes long. When Train #1 leaves the station, you have 3 minutes to unload, load and dispatch however many trains you are running on the track. That means that the more trains you are running the less your dispatch time is. For a ride like Space Mountain, 12 trains leaving the station in 3 minutes comes out to about 15 seconds.

Now if your guest and crew can't cooperate and for some reason a train sits in the station too long, by the time Train #1 comes back to the station, there's no place for it to go (since it's waiting for the train ahead to clear out). Even a delay of a few seconds will cost you a whole cycle in that hour, and if you do it enough, you can lose enough cycles to almost account for a full train of capacity.

So yeah when you look at all the issues, such as maintenance and wear and tear and the stress it puts on the Cast Members operating the attraction and the stress put onto guests to hurry up - AND THEN you take a look at what you actually get out of it, you can see why they don't want to do it that often.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

The only time this all bugs me is on Big Thunder Mountain. After the 10:30 show there's always a sizable line, so why remove the trains so early? They make what could have been a 15/20 minute wait a 35/40 minute wait. Grr...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast