• Diva Extrodinaire

Armchair Imagination:Pocahontas Riverbend Journey

Pardon the crudeness and lack of visuals - I don't have any fancy technology. Just Paint, WordPad, and love for Disney parks! This thread is my submission for the Armchair Imaginition contest in the Competitive- Frontierland category.

My ride in the Frontierland area is the Pocahontas Riverbend Journey, a flume ride in the style of Pirates of the Carribean based off of the 1995 Disney animated film, "Pocahontas." The reason I chose this location for the ride is due to its close proximity to Fantasyland and Frontierland. The combination of rusticness and fantasy will serve as a great transition between lands. Wile it maintains the idea of Indians in Frontierland, it also is a capacity-eater, a Princess ride, and creates a smooth transition to Fantasyland. This idea translates to fantasy scenes, as well as the interactive queue.

The queue will consist of tall, shady trees outside. Some of these trees will have faces and talk to you, in a similar way to Grandmother Willow does in the film. These animatronics will be part of Pocahontas' family and talk to each other, occasionally arguing comically. Only the faces move, however. This outdoors section will have a few switchbacks, as well as hidden misters for the summer. Also, leapfrog fountains jump from the water features. The next part of the queue is indoors. It has blue skies that seem to stretch forever, as well as nearby and distant trees painted on as part of a mural. You will walk on a dirt-colored path with railing that snakes around. There are less switchbacks, but the switchbacks are designed to seem like a trail that moves in many paths. After a few switchbacks, you enter the loading area. The loading area is very simple, and in the style of it's a small world (you enter one side, exit the other, and walk on a bridge over the loading area to the exit). The ride vehicle looks like a wooden canoe, as seen in an illustration near the bottom. I know it's pretty crude, but you get the idea: six rows, each row holds four, which means up to 24 people per boat. There would be 8-10 boats going around at a time. The cast members in the queue and loading area would be dressed in white puffy shirts/blouses with tight blue pants, brown boots, and a brown vest where their name tag would be.

As your boat enters, a curtain seeming to be made of leaves and feathers (aka the wind) parts to reveal a group of tribe member animatronics dancing around a faux-fire pit as you hear the tribal drum beats as voices sing "Steady As The Beating Drum." Next, your boat goes up a 20-foot lift since the ride is a ground level. This top level is used twice in the ride and is outdoors. As you reach this level, you climb another 10 feet or so as you see a Pocahontas animatronic about to jump off this top peak, designed to look like a cliff. Instead, you drop 10 feet to the floor of level 2. As you curve around, you see Nakoma and Pocahontas animatronics (shoulders up) lifting up a canoe that has flipped over, as in the film. This is their dialogue:

NAKOMA: Show-off. Pocahontas? Are you all right.
    POCAHONTAS: I'm fine. Help me turn this thing over.
    NAKOMA: What were you doing up there?
    POCAHONTAS: Thinking about a dream I had. I know it means something, I just don't know what.

You then drop down to level 1, where you see Pocahontas and Chief Powhatan animatronics talking by a real waterfall. Meeko is sitting nearby, eating something.

POWHATAN: Something exciting is about to happen.
    POCAHONTAS: Really, what is it?
    POWHATAN: Kocoum has asked to seek your hand in marriage.
    POCAHONTAS: Marry Kocoum? But heís soÖ serious.
    POWHATAN: He is loyal and strong and will build you a good house with sturdy walls. With him you will be safe from harm.
    POCAHONTAS: But why canít I chooseó
    POWHATAN: You are the daughter of the chief. It is time to take your place among our people. Even the wild mountain stream must someday join the big river.

As you make a small curve, you enter the first major showroom: the riverbend sequence. Here, everything is colorful, birds fly overhead, there are huge and colorful trees, and every once in a while Pocahontas is seen rowing her canoe with Meeko and Flit inside, singing "Just Around The Riverbend" as a symphonic version also plays along with Pocahontas' voice. As color and light fill the space, the almost cartoonish riverbend, with its jumping fish and singing otters, now grows a bit drake and mossier as we see Grandmother Willow talking to us. Pocahontas and animals kneel around the tree.

POCAHONTAS: In my dream, Well, Iím running through the woods and then right there in front of me is an arrow. As I look at it, it starts to spin faster and and faster until suddenly it stops.
    GRANDMOTHER WILLOW: Hmm. Well, seems to me this spinning arrow is pointing you down your path. Your mother had a similar dream. I told her to listen. All around you are spirits, child. They live in the earth, the water, the sky. If you listen, they will guide you. Why do you see?
    POCAHONTAS: Clouds, strange clouds.

The next scene involves John Smith, Radcliffe, and Wiggins. They are standing at the end of the boat that they came on. In the background, singers sing "Virginia Company" or whatever the opening song is called. Wiggins is coddling Percy, on a soft, blue pillow. Ratcliffe is scoping the land as John Smith stands on the boat.

RATCLIFFE: Look at it, Wiggins. An entire New World chock full of gold, just waiting for me.
    WIGGINS: And scores of adventures waiting for us, right, Percy? Do you think weíll meet some savages?
    JOHN SMITH: Itís perfect, Governor. The waterís deep enough, we can pull right up to shore. Iíve got a crew assembled and theyíre ready to go.
    RATCLIFFE: About the natives, Iím counting on you to make sure those filthy heathens donít disrupt our mission. Iím very well aware that this is my last chance for glory. But mark my words, Wiggins, when King James see the gold these peasants unearth success will be mine, at last. Now, gentlemen, to work. You men, get the ship unloaded.

The next scene is the "Mine, Mine, Mine" scene. We see British men digging as faux dirt flies as Ratcliffe dances around. Trees fill the sides as Wiggins help Percy "dig" with a tiny little shovel. A second part of the room, divided by walls designed like big trees, is more of a dream sequence where Ratcliffe wears a golden outfit and the diggers have huge shadows projected. The walls and floors are glowing gold, as is the lighting. In the score, this is the key change. We pass through a shimmering Mylar curtain to reveal John Smith looking around a waterfall. We see a dark shadow behind the live waterfall. As John Smith pulls out his gun, the water parts to reveal Pocahontas, with beautiful blue light shining on her and he puts his gun down. Our vehicles encounters a similar water curtain, but it parts as we enter.

The room is the "Colors Of The Wind". The walls are glowing pink and orange. We see Pocahontas and John Smith running, laying in the grass, and standing. Other animals, including Meeko, are seen around. The trees are more of a purple and the leaves are a radiant pink, shaped to be like hearts. Heart-shaped lily pads and flowers are abound. Leapfrog fountains pass overhead. We also see projections of the chalk versions of the lovers on the walls as they form the wind. At the end, we see their projections kiss in the clouds above our heads (on the wall) as we pass into the next room. The next room is small, showing only Ratcliffe on one of the sides, talking to Thomas and Ben.

THOMAS: They captured John and dragged him off! Weíve got to save him! Heíd do the same for any of us.
    BEN: Thomas is right! Weíve got to do something.
    RATCLIFFE: And so we shall! I told you those savages couldnít be trusted. Smith tried to befriend them, and look what theyíve done to him. But now I say itís time to rescue our courageous comrade. At daybreak, we attack!

As we inch further, we see Chief Powhatan near a fire inside of a large tee pee, with a few others.

POWHATAN: They tried to take our land. As the sun rises, we attack!

The next room is of the fight sequence. You see/hear people fighting and struggling against each other, a dark orange sky, tribal yells, gun shots (as in Pirates), explosions (just lights and smoke), and more. The music so intense, being an instrumental of "Savages." The next room, where the music continues and reaches a climax, is small and simple. On top of a cliff (2-3 feet from the ground) Powhatan is about to bash in John Smith, but Pocahontas leans in, over John.

POCAHONTAS: No! If you kill him youíll have to kill me, too.
    POWHATAN: Daughter, stand back!
    POCAHONTAS: I wonít! I love him, father.
    POWHATAN: My daughter speaks with wisdom beyond her years. Release him.

The next room features Pocahontas and John Smith standing on a dock next to a tied-up boat. On the boat is John Smith's friend, Thomas. The sky is blue with white, puffy clouds and there is a light breeze from fans. A light instrumental of "Colors of the Wind" plays. There are trees on the other side of the boat. Meeko and Percy are sitting on the dock as well, playing with each other.

THOMAS: The shipís almost ready. Weíd better get you on board. Weíll lose the tide.
    POCAHONTAS: John, here is my motherís necklace.
    JOHN SMITH: Come with me?
    POCAHONTAS: Iím needed here.
    JOHN SMITH: But I canít leave you.
    POCAHONTAS: You never will. No matter what happens, Iíll always be with you. Forever.

As we exit this room a dark doorway shows a miniature version of the boat sailing away (like a country's sign on it's a small world). In the following hallway we see a projected silhouette of Pocahontas runs brightly to a symphonic version of the "Farewell" theme. The sky is a golden yellow as the trees are dark, as if shadowed. There are projections and lighting to create "the wind." The hall blends into another room. On one side, an animatronic of Pocahontas is elevated in the blue sky, waving as the music hits a climax. On the other side of you, the boat is sailing away.

After this, you now enter a portion of the ride to approach the loading area. Here, large canopy trees loom overhead, covering a large sky-light roof, as a Grandmother Willow animatronic tree appears. Animatronic/stationary birds and critters are abound, butterflies fly in the trees, and both Flit and Meeko are nestled at the base of the tree. Playing in the background is a symphonic version of "Steady As The Beating Drum." As you then enter the loading area, a waterfall feature creates a feeling as if it flows into the channel you are in.

GRANDMOTHER WILLOW: Come back soon, for your path is just around the riverbend.

This concludes your ride, and you unload by walking on a wooden-style bridge over the water and back to the front. A large canoe-like structure houses "Powhatan and Co." which is the exit shop, of course! This is located near the entrance of the outdoor queue.

Here are my visuals:
    First, here is the track layout:

Outdoor queue - labeled red
    Indoor queue - labeled pink
    Loading area at start - 2nd grey
    Indians dancing scene - 1st red (break=level up)
    Powhatan and Pocahontas - 2nd red
    Riverbend sequence - dark red
    Grandmother Willow - 2nd dark red
    Docking of the boat - 1st light blue
    Mine! Mine! Mine - 2nd light blue
    Waterfall meeting scene - 1st pink
    Colors of the Wind - 2nd pink
    Powhatan plans - 1st olive
    Fight scene - 2nd olive
    Pocahontas intervenes - 3rd olive
    Goodbye - 1st navy
    Small boat doorway - 2nd navy
    Farewell - 3rd navy
    Outdoor portion - 1st gray

This is to show how large the ride will be:

This is a basic idea for the seating, which was talked about earlier in the post. Ignore the Pocahontas and Meeko, but a small Flit may be placed at the head.

Thanks for reading and wish me luck!
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

Re: Armchair Imaginition:Pocahontas Riverbend Journey

Wow, you've given this a lot of thought and it sounds like a fun ride! Good job!

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

yeah i didn't exactly read all of this, but i'm all for anything pocahontas!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Minion

Very nice idea! I do like that it transitions Frontierland and Fantasyland. I also like all the effects, detail, and nature you put into it. Very nice.

• Banned User

I love it. Pocahontas does need more attention in the park.

Hm. Not hating it, but not sure how it would work out. I do like the idea, of course.

• Collision speed....FULL!

I need to see Pocahontas again!

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    I need to see Pocahontas again!
    They re-released it! But they changed the name...Avarice?... Avodart?... Something like that...

It's too bad, though...I think something went wrong with the print when it was in the vault because now all the characters are blue.
    My Armchair Imagineering threads:

Collaborations:

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

man i really need to see avatar now, but i didn't want to contribute my money to that whole all time grossing movie, i think for my next signature i'm definitely putting something pocahontas, cause i'm practically watching that movie every day. sorry for the rant i'm thinking out loud
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Diva Extrodinaire

Thank your for the feedback everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    They re-released it! But they changed the name...Avarice?... Avodart?... Something like that...

It's too bad, though...I think something went wrong with the print when it was in the vault because now all the characters are blue.
    Teeeheee

And I do like this idea very good transition though I see it more on scale with LMR than Pirates.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Diva Extrodinaire

Quote Originally Posted by mistadee View Post
    teeeheee

and i do like this idea very good transition though i see it more on scale with lmr than pirates.
    lmr?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MTdizzle94 View Post
    lmr?
    My guess is The Little Mermaid Ride? But then it would be TLM? My guess is as good as yours.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post

Avodart....sounds like a anti depressant drug or something...

Re: Armchair Imagination:Pocahontas Riverbend Journey

sounds fun! I'd like to see some outdoor water/flume ride that isn't a total splashfest like Grizzly River Run. But would they have to reroute the train? I don't think there were trains when Pocahontas was around