Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: If Bob Iger Was Your Brother (Dad Or Spouse), Would You Push Your Weight At The P

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I wouldn't use such a family relation to my advantage at the expense of others. If it seemed appropriate, I'd certainly enjoy the opportunity to see some of the sides of Disney that most people don't, and I'm sure I'd put in my two cents if my brother/father/whatever were doing something with the company that seemed unwise, but cutting lines and pampering myself silly aren't on my agenda.
    Knowing you as I do Data, I can vouge that no kind of power would ever go to your head. You are primarily motivated to bring out the artistic and technical best in any endeavor that you engage in. Quite the opposite, I engage in every self-serving and cheesy activity that I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    There are many things that even Iger couldn't make happen without repercussions from some sort of outside agency.
    So true. Could you imagine the legal repurcussions and bad press from an angry guest protesting, "Bob Iger crowded in front of me while shoving me aside and stepping on my foot!...while munching down one of his free churros..."
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Special Agent

Re: If Bob Iger Was Your Brother (Dad Or Spouse), Would You Push Your Weight At The P

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The beauty of voicing your criticisms about the park (and the rest of the company) is that Bobbers would have to listen...and you couldn't be fired, regardless of how irritable and mad he might get. I think that you would break him, melonballer...and force him to change the park according to your suggestions.
    I doubt that.

Iger has to follow a precisely laid out script of what to do and what not to do. And all of these cues are taken directly from the board of directors, the institutional investors and wall street.

To put it quite bluntly: If Iger didn't do the things that he does, he would basically be fired and replaced with someone who would.

So I think if you were a family member and you were trying to persuade him to do something that could potentially hurt his career, I think it would do more damage to your relationship with him, than affect actual change.

Of course it could land you a couple nights in the dream suite and maybe some free churros.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I doubt that.

Iger has to follow a precisely laid out script of what to do and what not to do. And all of these cues are taken directly from the board of directors, the institutional investors and wall street.

To put it quite bluntly: If Iger didn't do the things that he does, he would basically be fired and replaced with someone who would.

So I think if you were a family member and you were trying to persuade him to do something that could potentially hurt his career, I think it would do more damage to your relationship with him, than affect actual change.

Of course it could land you a couple nights in the dream suite and maybe some free churros.
    Wow. You paint a picture of Iger as a powerless ventriloquist's dummy. While Iger would be wise not to ruitinely tick guests and CM's off, I assure you that he weilds power, and is in charge of his company and it's board. As a matter of fact, the only way that a person can trach his leadership status in any organization is to work hard and to have a rounded personality.

This means being nice part of the time and not so nice at other times. Being serious, sarcastic, respectful, humorous, gentlemanly, wild and raunchy...each at the right time. Daring to be ones self is what happiness is all about. Iger would not be the head cheese if he attempted to be perfectly politically correct at all times.

• Special Agent

Wow. You paint a picture of Iger as a powerless ventriloquist's dummy. While Iger would be wise not to ruitinely tick guests and CM's off, I assure you that he weilds power, and is in charge of his company and it's board.
    To an extent. But he can still be fired if he does the wrong thing.

He could say tomorrow that he's going to close Disneyland, and he could probably do it too. How long though do you think it would take before the reduction in revenue would eventually lead to him being ousted?

The same goes the other way too though. Lets say that Iger decides he wants to build 10 more E tickets in Anaheim. Well he has to convince the board and Wall Street that he can make money by doing that, and if he can't make the money, they will fire him.

And don't be surprised if he ends up getting replaced if the studios don't start making a turnaround.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    To an extent. But he can still be fired if he does the wrong thing.

He could say tomorrow that he's going to close Disneyland, and he could probably do it too. How long though do you think it would take before the reduction in revenue would eventually lead to him being ousted?

The same goes the other way too though. Lets say that Iger decides he wants to build 10 more E tickets in Anaheim. Well he has to convince the board and Wall Street that he can make money by doing that, and if he can't make the money, they will fire him.

And don't be surprised if he ends up getting replaced if the studios don't start making a turnaround.
    The entire movie studio industry is losing money...because they charge too much admission (especially in this resession) and are driving patrons away. The fact that they share very little of the profit margin with the theater owners causes the owners to make up for their own lack of revenue by jacking up snack bar prices sky high...which also spirits away return business.

With this in mind, Eisner is not about to get ousted on account of lackluster movie profits. Plus, Disney has been turning out boxoffice lemons for years now...and nobody's been canned. Besides, most of
    the theme parks are top fiscal performers. Furthermore, Iger has recently the cranking out of several E-Ticket attractions...Toy Story Mania, World of Color, Little Mermaid, Cars Race Rally, and the Star Tours overhaul and revamp.

With Lasseter at the helm of movies, next year is likely to bolster better figures than this year. Iger's already the most successful Disney Prez...and he's steadily increasing the popularity of the Disney brand. His steady hard work is translating into overall Disney profits.

Bob's earned the right to ride a scooter thru the park, gulp down free dole whips, and to ride the rides (skipping the lines) until he is blue in the face. If I was his son, I wouldn't hesitate to join right in there with him.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 03-06-2010 at 08:22 PM.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I would rather inflluence things behind the scenes, too, for the benefit of improving Disneyand and other aspects of the company. And would love to get behind the scenes of imagineering!
    This.

• no flash photography...

nope, if I needed/wanted anything different I would have it arranged beforehand...probably via personal assistant.

• Nerd

Absolutely! Money = Power = Do what-ever I want at Disneyland!
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    nope, if I needed/wanted anything different I would have it arranged beforehand...probably via personal assistant.

You just brought priveleged pampering to a whole new creative level, SCUBabe. A personal assistant could ensure that your every whim is met...and they could do so way in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    Absolutely! Money = Power = Do what-ever I want at Disneyland!
    You're a MiceChatter after my own heart, CMHusband! Time for you to take your entourage to Pirates of the Caribbean. Disney has closed the ride to the general public for the day.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Oh, I got another one. If Iger was my spouse, I'd be very confused and he'd probably get fired in a round about way. And if he was my brother there would either be a ridiculously large age difference or I'd be OLD!
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Oh, I got another one. If Iger was my spouse, I'd be very confused and he'd probably get fired in a round about way. And if he was my brother there would either be a ridiculously large age difference or I'd be OLD!
    I know what you mean. I'm old and confused...and I'm only a distant 3rd cousin, on his mother's hairdresser's side of the family.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

If anyone deserves a role as an overseer of worldwide park/resort management (and personal confidant to Bob Iger), it is you Bill. Your thorough understanding of Disney, magical ideas and genuine character more than measure up to such a job.
    Wow, I don't know what I did to deserve that, but thank you for the compliment!
    -Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123