Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's up with the parking?

Hey guys, wondering if you can explain something to me. Disneyland is my childhood favorite, but I currently live in Florida and frequent WDW. A couple of times in the last three years, I visited southern California. I drove up to Disneyland from San Clemente each time. I used my iphone map ap for directions, followed them, found myself in a parking lot, parked there, and got a CM to tell me how to walk to the entrance area from this parking lot (not a big fan of trams). It took me no time at all to park and walk in.

Anyhoo, my brother, a San Clemente resident, just went to Disneyland for the first time in twenty years. He went on a Thursday in February. He followed the freeway signs and found himself in a giant line to enter a garage. He told me it took about an hour to get the car parked in the garage and get into the park due to the huge line infront of him.

I'm trying to figure out what happened here. I went twice on crowded weekend-days and just parked in an out-door lot and walked in, lickety split. My brother goes on the most un-crowded day possible and it takes him an hour to park.

The only thing I can think is that I followed gps directions and he followed freeway signs. I never even saw the garage, I wonder if my gps directions took me some secret way that the average "freeway sign follower" doesn't know about.

So, you southern CA locals, can anyone explain this to me? Thanks!

Elise

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Re: What's up with the parking?

Sounds like such an innocent question...

The short version of this story is that the parking situation at the DLR SUCKS right now. It will continue to suck for some time.

And I assume the parking "garage" you are referring to is the Mickey and Friends parking structure, which is actually the best place to park nowadays.

Your brother was probably sent to the supermassive Mickey and Friends parking structure and then took the tram in. The line for parking and the trams can be quite long if they don't have a lot of CM's on duty.

You most likely parked in either the Simba or the Pumbaa parking lots, both of which are plain flat lots with no tram service. Well, Pumbaa does have buses now, but for the longest time you had to walk.

Did you go through Downtown Disney to get to the park entrance? In that case you were probably in Simba. If you crossed Harbor Blvd to get to the park, you were in Pumbaa.
    "Once upon a time there was a Magic Kingdom
    made of hopes and childhood fantasies
    A timeless place where every land was filled with wonder
    A place where everyone who enters its gates will be given the gift of the
    Young at Heart"

• Disney Pure-ist

The simple answer is approximately 800,000 Annual Passes were issued in 2009, and ontop of that unknown daily AP visit, factor in the tourist market. Disney usually opens up the outside ground level lot(s) as a backup or reserve for use when the multi leveled parking structure is full.

Hmm, not sure where I was, I didn't go through downtown disney. Cross Harbor blvd? I don't think so, but maybe. There was a tram, but I walked the ten minutes or so to the entrance area. I went once in 2009 and once in 2008, arrived in the morning around opening and parked in exactly the same place each time. Last year it was a Sunday in summer. I expected parking to be a bear, but it wasn't at all. No line to pay for parking, no line to park, strolled right in.

My brother said that the line of cars to park (he described a double line of cars into the parking structure) was really long, and that's what took forever, not so much the trams. He arrived in the area at 9:30 for a 10am opening, but didn't get into the park until 10:25. I was completely surprised, because that was not my experience at all, twice.

So there's not more than one way in?

Thanks for the responses, guys!
    Last edited by lily23; 03-08-2010 at 05:43 AM.

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Mickey and Friends is really the best bet. You just have to get there really early, and bring your patience.

Not sure where you parked before, but in 2009 Disneyland's parking situation was severely altered, and it isn't likely to get better in the near future.

I think it's possible that you may have parked in the Lion King parking lot, which was pretty much all that was left of DL's original parking lot. That lot is now gone, it is becoming Cars Land.

Sorry that your brother had an inconvenient experience. However, arriving at the parking structure at 9:30 and getting in the park at 10:25...well, to be honest that's actually making GOOD time.

In order to avoid parking issues, go to the park on a day it opens at eight, get to the parking structure no later than 7:15. Or stay at one of the DL hotels, or go on a rainy day.

I like to avoid 10 a.m. openings now. It almost always seems to be busier at 10 than at 8.

Wow! That is seriously crazy. So what you all are telling me, is they have completely destroyed their parking, and created a situation where guests are exhausted just from waiting in long lines to park before they even start their day, and there's no chance of the situation improving. What a shame...

Thanks everybody!

No. "They" haven't destroyed anything.

The structure was built when the average guest per vehicle was 4. It was more than large enough.

Now average GPV is around 1.5.

Moral of the story is: while Disney responds to this shift (new areas) CARPOOL, CARPOOL, CARPOOL!

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    Wow! That is seriously crazy. So what you all are telling me, is they have completely destroyed their parking, and created a situation where guests are exhausted just from waiting in long lines to park before they even start their day, and there's no chance of the situation improving. What a shame...

Thanks everybody!
    Yup. And it is a darn shame!

Actually, let me edit myself a bit. There are plans for another big parking structure, and that will help the parking situation. But it will be a while as construction hasn't even started yet.
    Last edited by CinderellaStory; 03-08-2010 at 07:55 AM.

• Please pull the yellowtab

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had a bad parking experience. I frequently visit DLR which is on average 2 visits per month. The only reason I can come up with is perhaps maybe it's because I arrive at DLR right before or just as the park opens.

@lily23: Even though everyone says the Mickey & Friends Parking Garage is insane, unorganized, and so on... It's actually the most convenient and closest parking to DLR. Especially on a hot summer day I'd rather have my car parked inside the shady comfort of the M&F Parking Garage. My advice get to Disneyland early! Second, exit Ball Road and follow the signs to Mickey & Friends Parking Garage.
    Last edited by 2ndStar2theRight; 03-08-2010 at 09:15 AM.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

As long as I am not getting back to my car in the middle of a hot day, the parking lot opposite AGW's parking structure (I'm horrible with remembering parking lot names) is my favorite. I don't mind a bit of walking, and the walk from there is better than the walk from M&F, assuming you don't use the trams or busses. Then again my wife and I are both young and fit and it is generally just the two of us when we go, so I can imagine for most other demographics neither walk is very welcome.

It always frustrates me when expansion projects take away parking, and replacement parking is planned for after the expansion starts. They did the same thing at my University. They should have replacement parking lots/structures ready to go before they replace the existing lots with new construction.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Young at Heart View Post
    Your brother was probably sent to the supermassive Mickey and Friends parking structure and then took the tram in. The line for parking and the trams can be quite long if they don't have a lot of CM's on duty.

You most likely parked in either the Simba or the Pumbaa parking lots, both of which are plain flat lots with no tram service. Well, Pumbaa does have buses now, but for the longest time you had to walk.

Did you go through Downtown Disney to get to the park entrance? In that case you were probably in Simba. If you crossed Harbor Blvd to get to the park, you were in Pumbaa.
    Maybe she was in the now defunct Timon Lot.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndStar2theRight View Post
    @lily23: Even though everyone says the Mickey & Friends Parking Garage is insane, unorganized, and so on... It's actually the most convenient and closest parking to DLR. Especially on a hot summer day I'd rather have my car parked inside the shady comfort of the M&F Parking Garage. My advice get to Disneyland early! Second, exit Ball Road and follow the signs to Mickey & Friends Parking Garage.

Pumbaa is the closest lot to the park. Followed by the structure and Simba. And for those of us coming from Central OC and south the structure is very inconvenient to get to because there is no direct route as there is for people coming from the north.

Coming from my direction to get to the structure you either have to get off on Disney Way, go left on Katella, right on Disneyland Dr, then make a u-turn at Ball Rd. Or if you head for Pumbaa and find out it is closed, you need to proceed to Harbor Blvd and go right, then go left on Ball, then go left again onto Disneyland Dr and into the structure. Either way your are looking to at least an extra mile of driving, all the while having to deal with gobs of other cars all trying to do the same thing.

Sure, Pumbaa doesn't have the advantage of shade but IMO it is the best lot in the DLR, if you are lucky enough to get there while it is still open. A new garage in that space will greatly improve things.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaStory View Post
    I think it's possible that you may have parked in the Lion King parking lot, which was pretty much all that was left of DL's original parking lot. That lot is now gone, it is becoming Cars Land.
    I'm certain that this is what happened. There were only two lots that had actual "tram" service at the time and this was one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    I'm certain that this is what happened. There were only two lots that had actual "tram" service at the time and this was one of them.

Absolutely love your avatar! My kids and I have always called it the "no dancing" sign, but "no disco" is much better! Thanks for the laugh...

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Sounds like wherever I parked doesn't exist anymore, and next time I go I better allow a lot more extra time in the morning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast