Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45
  1. #16

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    First off, thanks Darkbeer... It's like getting an update... But Al probably has something up his sleave about all this too... I would be very curious as to what he says, as it seems like much has been added since his last update...

    Second... I agree with the purpose of the arches... One of the problems of the old design was as you looked down the street of the Hollywood pictures backlot is that pedestrians just didn't want to go behinde the facades of the street... The false perspective worked a little too well. No one wanted to turn LEFT... That is Psycological, people want to turn Right first on a city street...

    The first right takes you to the Hyperion and ToT which are some of the more popular attractions in the park...

    However what was to the LEFT became the most unpopular attractions in the park...

    Something needs to be done to invite people back in that area or NO ONE will go back there... And it won't matter what type of retheme you do...
    Check out my other blog:

  2. #17

    • For old time sake
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    coming home
    Posts
    6,681

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    Do people actually buy those "babies?" OMG they are SCARY!!!
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!









  3. #18

    • Behind the refurb walls..
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,976
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    Maybe that's how monster and say the incredibles or cars e-ticket will be brought into the park, the little land in the land... Cause that arch does now tie in monsters-inc, making it acceptable to be there, since it is a movie...






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

  4. #19

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Agrabah
    Posts
    11,103

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    The new arch looks incredibly cheap, and can't comprehend
    what its suppose to do. The land is too small to be subdividing it.
    If you're going to do that, the only logical split it to separate the
    Tower from the rest of the back lot.

    The new arch certainly wont draw people, it's not a weenie.
    If you want to draw people, you put an attractive attraction,
    one that draws people. NOT an arch.

    If they insist on placing an arch there, why not one
    that says "Monstropolis".

    I never had much hope for project spackle,
    (i was secretly hoping to be pleasantly surprised)
    but now I have even less expectations for p.s.
    if that's even possible.

  5. #20

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin

    The new arch certainly wont draw people, it's not a weenie.
    If you want to draw people, you put an attractive attraction,
    one that draws people. NOT an arch.
    I disagree with you in a way... I don't think any attraction would work with the Hollywood Backlot working as it is...

    Look at ToT... That think was supposed to be an "Oil Rig" pumping customers to the park... Where are they?

    If you looked back at that side of the park, you had three dead attractions in a row... I think it has to do with the flow of foot traffic... the area was not inviting...
    Check out my other blog:

  6. #21

    • Darkbeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    FYI, those Geddes "babies", are $27.50 each, plus tax!!!!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

  7. #22

    • Behind the refurb walls..
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,976
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    The arch is clearly not finished, from the pics you could see it needed to be painted...






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

  8. #23

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sierra Madre, CA
    Posts
    290

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    OK, I think everyone is making a big deal out of nothing. Everyone seems to be getting bent-out-of-shape over a stupid sign. A SIGN! An arch! Is it really that important? When you enter Hollywood Pictures Backlot, you're on Hollywood Blvd., right? A street modeled after Hollywood Blvd, correct? When you get past the Award Weiners place and make a left, you're entering the "studio" part of Hollywood. You know, like the ones in Burbank. You know, Hollywood is where movie magic is made. So, I think what California Adventure is doing is setting that half of the HPB area into a studio, probably inspired by the studios in Hollywood/Burbank. And, didn't Al Lutz mention that this new project was going see part of Hollywood Pictures Backlot turned into a studio? I'm assuming everyone has read these articles by Al Lutz, so everyone should already know this. So, a sign has gone up saying, "Hollywood Studios" and everyone (by everyone I mean generally) automatically dislikes it and it's like no one saw this coming. As I just mentioned, it looks like the back half of the Backlot is being turned into a studio-like environment, which I already knew because of what Al Lutz said and also because now we have proof in that a sign has gone up saying exactly what Al Lutz said was coming. I mean, if you guys have read those articles, why are you saying that sign is stupid, because it fits with the whole studio thing as Al Lutz has mentioned, as well as other people.

  9. #24

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,889

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    First off, thanks Darkbeer... It's like getting an update... But Al probably has something up his sleave about all this too... I would be very curious as to what he says, as it seems like much has been added since his last update...

    Second... I agree with the purpose of the arches... One of the problems of the old design was as you looked down the street of the Hollywood pictures backlot is that pedestrians just didn't want to go behinde the facades of the street... The false perspective worked a little too well. No one wanted to turn LEFT... That is Psycological, people want to turn Right first on a city street...

    The first right takes you to the Hyperion and ToT which are some of the more popular attractions in the park...

    However what was to the LEFT became the most unpopular attractions in the park...

    Something needs to be done to invite people back in that area or NO ONE will go back there... And it won't matter what type of retheme you do...

    it HAS been a while since an update (two three weeks? I'm talking about a REAL update here)


    I don't think it's the right hand turn thing at all though

    that area has been dead LONG before ToT ever came on the scene

    without SSL there just isn't reason to go back there and Millionare was only a draw to APers and the occasional visitor who managed to stumble upon it

    Muppets isn't enough reason to go back there if only because it's Muppets (which most people see as has beens) and because it's another 3D attraction

    and the closed eatery doesn't draw much in either

    the stage did look to have a large amount of people watching when I went to DCA this summer though

  10. #25

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,889

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    The new arch looks incredibly cheap, and can't comprehend
    what its suppose to do. The land is too small to be subdividing it.
    If you're going to do that, the only logical split it to separate the
    Tower from the rest of the back lot.

    The new arch certainly wont draw people, it's not a weenie.
    If you want to draw people, you put an attractive attraction,
    one that draws people. NOT an arch.

    If they insist on placing an arch there, why not one
    that says "Monstropolis".

    I never had much hope for project spackle,
    (i was secretly hoping to be pleasantly surprised)
    but now I have even less expectations for p.s.
    if that's even possible.
    I dissagree

    put a large archway and a sign like that in a theme park and it will make alot of people think it actualy GOES somewere and since alot of the facades on the Hollywood backlot only lead to stores an archway into a courtyard might actualy attract people


    and if they added an archway that said Monstropolis it wouldn't make any since thematicaly at all since your in a backlot and that isn't even an activated door (and while the Monsters Inc facade is debatable one could argue that it looks like a bunch of props stacked against a building or whatever it's still not as big as calling a section monstropolis)

    as far as Mini lands go once Monsters Inc opens that area will have about as much to do as Toontown (maybe even more)

  11. #26

    • meganmegaphone
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Franciscoooo
    Posts
    418

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I dissagree

    put a large archway and a sign like that in a theme park and it will make alot of people think it actualy GOES somewere and since alot of the facades on the Hollywood backlot only lead to stores an archway into a courtyard might actualy attract people


    and if they added an archway that said Monstropolis it wouldn't make any since thematicaly at all since your in a backlot and that isn't even an activated door (and while the Monsters Inc facade is debatable one could argue that it looks like a bunch of props stacked against a building or whatever it's still not as big as calling a section monstropolis)

    as far as Mini lands go once Monsters Inc opens that area will have about as much to do as Toontown (maybe even more)
    I could,'t have said it better! & lets not forget my favorite "mini" land: New Orleans Sq.

    "Back off, Lilo... he's all mine!"
    My MySpace... or...My Facebook
    Coldplay = Love

    "Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." - The Office (BBC)

  12. #27

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Agrabah
    Posts
    11,103

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    The first right takes you to the Hyperion and ToT which are some of the more popular attractions in the park...

    However what was to the LEFT became the most unpopular attractions in the park...

    Something needs to be done to invite people back in that area or NO ONE will go back there... And it won't matter what type of retheme you do...
    If you apply the right turn/left turn logic to all of DCA, no one would
    want to go to Hollywood Pictures Backlot in the 1st place. If applied to DL, everyone would be avoiding Indy, Pirates Haunted Mansion and Splash. It comes down to the attractions themselves.

  13. #28

    • JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,077

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    I think the HPB sign at the entrance of the land should be changed to "HollywoodLand" and then you have "real city Hollywood" and the Hollywood Studios sub area. That works for me. It would be nice if they could add covered seating for Award Weiners, or remove that backlot stage and add another store to give the Hollywood Blvd more to do than empty facades.

    I have to say that HPB is about as messed up design wise at TL98. It was just poorly designed from the time the first pencil drawings weremade I think.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

  14. #29

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Agrabah
    Posts
    11,103

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I dissagree

    put a large archway and a sign like that in a theme park and it will make alot of people think it actualy GOES somewere and since alot of the facades on the Hollywood backlot only lead to stores an archway into a courtyard might actualy attract people

    as far as Mini lands go once Monsters Inc opens that area will have about as much to do as Toontown (maybe even more)


    Hahahahaha! That large archway argument could be applied to the
    original opening of all of DCA. "Hey, let's place a 2nd park across from
    Disneyland, It will make a lot of people THINK it actually goes somewhere!

    You can't fool people with an arch. It's the attraction! Make an attraction that the people will want to see again and again. Placing a 2nd gate only makes sense IF there is a 2nd entrance to the Hollywood section.

    Regarding minilands, Monsters Inc really doesn't have much to do with Hollywood Pictures or Hollywood Pictures Backlot. But with Playhouse Disney added to HP, and now Monsters, They might as well change it to "Toon Studio's Backlot" THAT makes a lot more sense. (with exception of the only E-Ticket ToT).

  15. #30

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    well thats none of your buisness
    Posts
    25,263

    Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

    you know, I would love to see the haunted mansion holloween over lay. why is it no one ever posts pics of the decorations and such?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Approx 100 Photos including Osborne Lights, Toy Story Mania, Night Photos
    By nbodyhome in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 02:25 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 05:46 PM
  3. Lotsa Photos: Holiday magic - Disneyland Photos at Night!
    By RobotMirror in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-06-2006, 07:29 PM
  4. Photos of Idlewild's Mister Rogers Neighborhood Ride with photos
    By Guy Hutchinson in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-04-2006, 04:08 PM
  5. Disneyland 12-28-05 trip w/photos (Warning! Large photos!)
    By Demigod in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 01:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •