Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Minion

Re: New photos of the DLR from 10/28

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    you know, I would love to see the haunted mansion holloween over lay. why is it no one ever posts pics of the decorations and such?
    I believe that people did take photos of HMH right when it opened this year, but have since stopped. Try one of Darkbeer's older albums. Give me a sec, I'll provide a link for you (hope that's ok, Darkbeer!).

Edit: OK, here's a link. The pics start on this page (page 10), and continue on for a while.http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/849244/10/38180054
    Last edited by grvtydefy; 10-30-2005 at 08:06 AM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    If you apply the right turn/left turn logic to all of DCA, no one would want to go to Hollywood Pictures Backlot in the 1st place.
    nobody does!

Acutually it is from a conversation I have had with a Police Chief... There is a tendancy for people to always turn Right durring a chase be it a car chase or a foot chase... So when people are not thinking that is what they do on a street, they turn right...

You have to THINK about turning left in order to do it...

When you think about it, it is one of the reasons why people complain about Tomorrowland so much... it is to the right, and for the longest time there is nothing to do there...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Or, Karla, if you want a really comptrehensive tour of the Haunted Mansion Holiday, here's a walkthrough, complete with sounds from the attraction.
    http://www.doombuggies.com/holiday1.htm

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    nobody does!

Acutually it is from a conversation I have had with a Police Chief... There is a tendancy for people to always turn Right durring a chase be it a car chase or a foot chase... So when people are not thinking that is what they do on a street, they turn right...

You have to THINK about turning left in order to do it...

When you think about it, it is one of the reasons why people complain about Tomorrowland so much... it is to the right, and for the longest time there is nothing to do there...
    I'm guessing that whole "turn right during a car chase" thing is probably because it's easier to make right hand turns in traffic. Left hand turns often require you to wait at a stop light or a potentially dangerous unprotected left turn - and if you're running from the cops the last thing you want to do is get stuck at a light or get in an accident - cause then you get caught

For those who keep saying the new arches will make the theme of the land work - or that it will better tie in Monsters Inc... I ask how?
    Hollywood Studios makes me think of live action movies with big budgets and famous people. Not a big colorful animated movie. That's more "toon studios." I would think "Animation Courtyard" would have fit better or something like that... I don't know... To me the "Hollywood Studios" mucks up an already confused and poorly executed theme.

I don't really think the arches will pull in people either. They might see them on their way to the Tower of Terror and then decide theyre of no importance on the way out. Not much of a "weenie" as someone posted. The layout of the land is a big issue, and I think the arches were meant to keep people flowing through there - but who knows if that will work?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    I don't really think the arches will pull in people either. They might see them on their way to the Tower of Terror and then decide theyre of no importance on the way out. Not much of a "weenie" as someone posted. The layout of the land is a big issue, and I think the arches were meant to keep people flowing through there - but who knows if that will work?

OMG! You guys are acting as if Disney is solely relying on those arches to bring people in. I mean, are you really going to hear people say, "Gee, they put new arches in Hollywood Pictures Backlot, we simply must make our way there; and let's not be too slow, the crowds will me monstrous."

That arch is ONE freaking prop they just put up. Wouldn't it be stupid if Disney was hoping that arch would boost up numbers. Disney isn't that stupid. Gosh, everyone is making a big deal out of a freakin' SIGN!

•   
    • Minion

From the looks of it (and I didn't notice this at first) both entrances into that back area get an arch...

(DLResident - Cool your jets, alright? Sheesh!)
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    (DLResident - Cool your jets, alright? Sheesh!)
    I'm sorry...
    I just don't get get why people are getting bent-out-of-shape over the smallest things.

It's a freakin' sign!

• Just Me

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    FYI, those Geddes "babies", are $27.50 each, plus tax!!!!
    That fits since the store looks more like a museum than an actual store.

Hahahahaha! That large archway argument could be applied to the
    original opening of all of DCA. "Hey, let's place a 2nd park across from
    Disneyland, It will make a lot of people THINK it actually goes somewhere!

You can't fool people with an arch. It's the attraction! Make an attraction that the people will want to see again and again. Placing a 2nd gate only makes sense IF there is a 2nd entrance to the Hollywood section.

Regarding minilands, Monsters Inc really doesn't have much to do with Hollywood Pictures or Hollywood Pictures Backlot. But with Playhouse Disney added to HP, and now Monsters, They might as well change it to "Toon Studio's Backlot" THAT makes a lot more sense. (with exception of the only E-Ticket ToT).
    not quite really

a second gate is a bit different since it actualy costs MONEY to go

and then I could point ou the park was poorly advertised to out of staters since most have been unaware that there was a second gate until they make their trip and see it, of course then they just shrug it off because a second themepark isn't part of their plans for a trip through southern Cali so they'll just consider it next time (whenever that may be)

talking to tourists many actualy find DCA pretty pleasent though they too find that they run out of things to do after a bit over half a day

as far as attractions go your not sure what Monsters Inc will be so it COULD be very memorable

arguing the theme angle one could point out we don't know what Monsters Inc's tie in even if (of course it could be without one but nothing is known until it's opend or we get pictures of the inside)

this area is for a group of attractions after all a Stage and Muppet Vision are also open back there with the potential of something eventualy going into the Millionare building and all of these fit the studio theme (well we don't know about Millionare yet)

as far as this "toon studios" thing goes I'd point out Playhouse Disney is a stage show for 1 and for another Bear and the Big Blue house or whatever it's called is in fact a puppet show and is as such live action and matching with the theme and of course the Muppets arn't toons either, seems to me that this area still has plenty besides ToT that really isn't toon based

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    I'm guessing that whole "turn right during a car chase" thing is probably because it's easier to make right hand turns in traffic. Left hand turns often require you to wait at a stop light or a potentially dangerous unprotected left turn - and if you're running from the cops the last thing you want to do is get stuck at a light or get in an accident - cause then you get caught

For those who keep saying the new arches will make the theme of the land work - or that it will better tie in Monsters Inc... I ask how?
    Hollywood Studios makes me think of live action movies with big budgets and famous people. Not a big colorful animated movie. That's more "toon studios." I would think "Animation Courtyard" would have fit better or something like that... I don't know... To me the "Hollywood Studios" mucks up an already confused and poorly executed theme.

the left turn thing in parks is easily refuted simply by the fact that most people hit adventureland first

as for the theme of the land, we've known since this summer that this project was to turn that area into more of a studio campus feel did we not? with lusher surroundings and less industrial backstage type look? these arches are just the beginning I'd think, if anything they're replacing a defective area of the origional theme with something that will work better, you have no idea about how monsters fits into all of this because you haven't been on monsters

and as I already pointed out there is plenty of non toon stuff in the land so I wouldn't call it animation courtyard at all really

I suppose their effectiveness as a Weenie has yet to be proven but it would seem to me that they stand out as a way of highlighting that section as something special

I think that the archways over Adventureland and Fronterland also hylight those areas and the Peoplemover track used to do something similar for Tomorrowland

reading something that's not on the side of a building also helps what with all the stores going down that walkway

• That's Hawt

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/919252/9/41943395

Was that water tower always there???
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yeah, water tower has been there since park opening.

• That's Hawt

Yeah, water tower has been there since park opening.
    Wow, shows you how observent I am!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Minion

I think the sign will help. When I walk by the backlot area, I always felt it was off-limits or something like the back stage area for CM's only. Nothing really invited me in. The sign above will help people put the theme togeather and say "Ow, its just a theme" and will be more likley to visit the theme.

DCA is suffering from a big design flaw in my openion. Lack of flow. Too many dead ends and no real flow to the park. DL is built like a big waggon wheel with a central hub. You can reach any land from the center, or once in a land you can pass into its naiboring land! DCA does NOT have that flow, and the paths are rather useless. The backlot dead-end is a good example of what NOT to do in a park. Never make dead ends. But DL has a few of its own. Toon Town and Critter Country, but at least the park has good flow.

• Disney lover

Creepy giant chicken. He's not so small after all...?? Anyways great pictures!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123