Thread: Amtrak

• MargyDisneylandLover

Question Amtrak

okay so for my upcoming trip in sept we are taking the coast starlight and then the connector train from la to anaheim....i have never riden on a train besides the dl railroad, casey jr and the trains at knotts im very excited for the scenery and the beauty of the experience....anyway i was just wondering if anyone else has done this before and if so what is the range of cash we should bring for food on the train, do they have anyway to connect to the net on it that kind of stuff and i already have my vouchers prepaid for the taxis to and from disneyland so at least i wont have to worry about that
    Last edited by RemainSeatedPlz87; 03-09-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

• Californian Fox-Wolf

Re: Amtrak

There is a snack bar on the first floor of the lounge car (the one with the floor-to-roof windows) and prices typically range between $3 to $10. Breakfast is expensive for what it's worth(about $20 for coffee and prefab pancakes, avoid the bacon at all costs), and is the only meal that you can walk into the dining car at will. Lunch and Dinner must be reserved in advance. Compared to the Amtrak California trains, this one goes a little too fast on the curves which can be a bit scary around Martinez where the train is literally a yard from the water.
    Please...don't call me simmer, call me Mike Folf.
    I am a Canis Lupus Vulpes Americanis Califius, otherwise known as a Californian Folf.

"Cool shades, Mike!"

Art Tweet Comic Tube

• MargyDisneylandLover

thanks for the info we plan to take breakfast and lunch on the first day some sandwichs or something
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    ~* Uncle Walt *~

• Californian Fox-Wolf

Just wondering, are you gonna be in a sleeper car? There are some added perks to that, like complimentary meals and, in starlight's case, an extra lounge. Have fun on your trip!
    Please...don't call me simmer, call me Mike Folf.
    I am a Canis Lupus Vulpes Americanis Califius, otherwise known as a Californian Folf.

"Cool shades, Mike!"

Art Tweet Comic Tube

• MargyDisneylandLover

nope reserved coach couldnt afford the sleeper since i paid off disney up front including all the meals and taxi vouchers etc
    ~* Uncle Walt *~

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

That will be a long trip, however it sounds to be a very nice and scenic one too, so at least there is that. And... no traffic to deal with, nor getting lost and so on.
    I have ridden Amtrak from Northern Ca to Anaheim, and that was over 8 hours, returning it was at least 10, now that trip really made me a bit impatient, for it just never seemed to end. That trip would have been a bit shorter, if it had not been for a driver of a truck I believe it was, that had attempted to cross the tracks in So Ca. ..... and lost.
    I enjoyed the train trip all the same, not so much returning though, because I would have preferred to have stayed longer. You know how that can go. Anyway... have a wonderful and great trip on and off of the train and a magical one at that!
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

I've taken a train from Irvine up to Van Nuys and it's a lot of fun. Of course, that's not as long as you'll be on your train but still.

For food money, bring about 20 - 30 dollars just for yourself. It's pricey like on airplanes, depending on what you get and so it's always good to have extra just in case you want a snack or something along with your meal.

• MargyDisneylandLover

thanks for all the tips it is a long trip leave tuesday morning arrive late wens nite im excited to not fly this time they have taken all the fun out of flying charging for it all and craming you in like sardines and such so this should be fun
    ~* Uncle Walt *~

• 387 Miles from Disneyland

We did Amtrak from AZ so not as long as your trip but here are a few things things I learned.
    Trains are cold. Bring a blanket to help you sleep if you get cold easily.
    Food and drinks are expensive so bring snacks & drinks if possible.
    Trains rarely get anywhere on time. Make sure that you can be flexible with the idea of arriving later than expected.
    Make your own fun. You may want to bring on some sort of reading or puzzle books and entertainment.
    I am not sure how many people you are traveling with but sometimes the trains are full especially connector or originating trains so it can be hard to keep larger groups together.
    The views are AWESOME! It really is a fun way to travel. Have fun!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I did the trip from the station near Vandenberg Air Force Base to Anaheim last May. Took 7 hours. Loved every minute of it! I didn't need to buy food. Might suggest taking along some breakfast items like granola bars, etc. and snacks to save on money.

Here is a picture I took about 5 minutes into my trip:

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• That's a lot of look.

I rode the Coast Starlight from San Francisco to LA when I returned from vacation in February. The trip was actually on-time and the train was only about half-full, making for a very pleasant trip. I attribute both of those to the fact that my trip occurred mid-week, as yours will. I hope you have a very pleasant trip!

Here are some things I learned that may be helpful:

1. You have the option of checking your luggage on the CS. If you do check it, check whether the luggage will be transported by Amtrak to your connector trains/shuttles or if you have to pick it up and lug it over yourself. If you don't, you can stow it in the luggage area (open, unlocked and next to the coach exit -- !) on the lower floor of the coach or (if your bags are small) on the overhead shelf over your seat.

2. The train stops every few hours to pick up passengers. Some of the stops are designated smoke breaks. Get out of the coach and stretch your legs. Your numb butt will thank you.

3. I second the idea of taking your own snacks. I bought a microwave pizza ($6) with a soda ($1.75) and a candy bar ($1.50) for dinner when my own food ran out.

4. Take a blankie. There are travel pillows on board.

5. Sit in the lounge car during daylight hours. The overhead windows let in some gorgeous light. Save the books, magazines and knitting for the post-sunset hours of your trip.

6. It doesn't run along the coast! Well, some of the route does. The beach views last from Paso Robles to about Oxnard.

7. Didn't see if the train had Wi-Fi but I did see plenty of people who plugged their laptops into the sockets along the window rails. Take a movie just in case.

That's waaay more than you wanted to know but I had so much fun on my train trip that I wanted to share. Have a great time!

• MargyDisneylandLover

thanks so much missmonkey...dad and i plan to go up and sit in the dome cars quite a bit too so this is really getting me excited
    ~* Uncle Walt *~

I love the trains! Enjoy your trip!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.