• Future Animator

Old Mill at "A Bug's Land"

I was thinking about different "Disney" touches that could be added to Disney's California Adventure to bring a sense of class to the park. I think Buena Vista Street, Hollywoodland and the new atmosphere to Paradise Pier is solid step in that direction, but I think there can be more. Especially at "A Bug's Land".

First of all, I would change the name of the area from "A Bug's Land" to something that represents California farming. Possibly "Bountiful Valley Farm", but I feel that there could be a better name... I would push the "A Bug's Land" sign back to where the "Flik's Fun Fair" sign currently sits. If the bug fair theme needs to be pushed, then there can be fair posters inside the Cowboy Crunchie's box to boost that story.

Current "A Bug's Land" sign as you enter the farming area

Current "Flik's Fun Fair" sign in the back of farming area

Now that we have a flat, farming area as our backdrop, I thought it would be visually pleasing as well as a clever Disney throwback. I would want the rickety, old mill from the Disney short "The Old Mill" to stand to the right of the "Bug's Land" entrance.

I know this was and has been created at a ferris wheel type ride, but I think it would work best as a visual or maybe a short walk-through.

From the Disney Silly Symphony "The Old Mill"

"Old Mill" miniature on Storybookland Canal Boat

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMwa3ZwTwyA"]YouTube- The Old Mill[/ame]

So what do you think? Does Disney's California Adventure need more visually appealing and, more importantly, classic Disney throwbacks.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• Diva Extrodinaire

Re: Old Mill at "A Bug's Land"

I say we demolish A Bugs Land
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

• Banned User

Yea, let's demo Bug's Land, and put up something better. No mission themes..wine country theme, yes.

• Dream in wonderful color!

^ I disagree. Bugs Land stays! It has amazing detail and themeing, it just needs another attraction (maybe a dark ride.) I love the idea of bringing the Old Mill - I think that would look great. Although I worry that the old mill structure might ruin the illusion of shrinking down to the size of a bug..?
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

i am not sure why people hate bugsland so much. i think its a fun little area. I do think that there could be more done with the area surrounding the bugslife theater queue. The Marquee is also one thing i hate and not because its ugly but because it is too big and overpowers the area by the parade corridor.

i do like the idea of the old mill might give that front section of the land sometime visually interesting and would look better along side the winery across the way

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    i am not sure why people hate bugsland so much. i think its a fun little area. I do think that there could be more done with the area surrounding the bugslife theater queue. The Marquee is also one thing i hate and not because its ugly but because it is too big and overpowers the area by the parade corridor.

i do like the idea of the old mill might give that front section of the land sometime visually interesting and would look better along side the winery across the way
    For me, I feel that it doens't really deserve a whole land. Granted, it is the best spot for little kids, but the last 4 or 5 times I've been in there, no one's there. It seems too out of the way for it to get any traffic, which I guess is a plus for the BL since they opened up that corridor walkway.
    I'd like something better there, but either way, I'm not complaining about it.

For the OP, the addition of a Mill would actually be cool.

• ITS A TRAP

cool idea, I disagree with the people saying demo bugs land
    --------------------------------------------------------------

• Future Animator

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Yea, let's demo Bug's Land, and put up something better. No mission themes..wine country theme, yes.
    For sure, Bug's Land needs to be retooled. Absolutely. Make it more immersive. Make it that we will believe that we are actually bugs. I think it would be cool if they made the majority of the place to be a very detailed version of "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Set" (From Disney's Hollywood Studios). So there is a major portion that is a play area.

Then there is an in depth dark ride too. I picture the queue swirling around down into the ant hill, where the dark ride would be. Maybe it could even be a family coaster, weaving in and out of the anthill. I don't know. Either of those options would be better than what we have. I would much prefer a very detailed play area and a dark ride/family coaster rather than what is there now.

A Bug's Land could work more as Red Creek Forest Challenge area (with a ride) more so than a whole land.

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    ^ I disagree. Bugs Land stays! It has amazing detail and themeing, it just needs another attraction (maybe a dark ride.) I love the idea of bringing the Old Mill - I think that would look great. Although I worry that the old mill structure might ruin the illusion of shrinking down to the size of a bug..?
    I agree. A Bug's Land is a great idea. It just needs to be executed correctly.

As I said in the original post, the whole front area before you enter Flik's Fun Fair would be rethemed to California farming, without the name "Bug's Land". The "Bug's Land" area would be pushed to where Flik's Fun Fair marquee is now.

To the left of the Bug's Land marquee (where Flik's Fun Fair marquee is now) would be The Old Mill. It wouldn't contradict with being a bug. It would be fitting with the farming theme.

For me, I feel that it doens't really deserve a whole land.
    A Bug's Land could work more as Red Creek Forest Challenge area (with a ride) more so than a whole land.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jcman3777 View Post
    For sure, Bug's Land needs to be retooled. Absolutely. Make it more immersive. Make it that we will believe that we are actually bugs. I think it would be cool if they made the majority of the place to be a very detailed version of "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Set" (From Disney's Hollywood Studios). So there is a major portion that is a play area.

Then there is an in depth dark ride too. I picture the queue swirling around down into the ant hill, where the dark ride would be. Maybe it could even be a family coaster, weaving in and out of the anthill. I don't know. Either of those options would be better than what we have. I would much prefer a very detailed play area and a dark ride/family coaster rather than what is there now.

I agree. A Bug's Land is a great idea. It just needs to be executed correctly.

As I said in the original post, the whole front area before you enter Flik's Fun Fair would be rethemed to California farming, without the name "Bug's Land". The "Bug's Land" area would be pushed to where Flik's Fun Fair marquee is now.

To the left of the Bug's Land marquee (where Flik's Fun Fair marquee is now) would be The Old Mill. It wouldn't contradict with being a bug. It would be fitting with the farming theme.

That's the problem we have now. It's not immersive enough, and is just...carny. I would probably enjoy it more if it was more immersive, and on par with HISTK set. A dark ride or rollercoaster would be really cool, actually. What if they took out ITTBAB, and put it in there? It'd be a good guest catcher, being that you'd be able to see it from the Parade route right there.

• Dream in wonderful color!

That's the problem we have now. It's not immersive enough, and is just...carny. I would probably enjoy it more if it was more immersive, and on par with HISTK set. A dark ride or rollercoaster would be really cool, actually. What if they took out ITTBAB, and put it in there? It'd be a good guest catcher, being that you'd be able to see it from the Parade route right there.
    Flik's Fun Faire isn't immersive? Maybe you have a different definition of the word immersive. Why would you want it to be on par with an outdated play area that has no rides?

And yes, opening the temporary walkway from the ToT area has really helped bring more people in. Last week most of the rides had 20-25 min waits and the whole place was really crowded.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Future Animator

Absolutely! I am a fan of ITTBAB, but if it means we could get an immersive ride experience themed to Bug's Life, that would be incredible.

Flik's Fun Faire isn't immersive? Maybe you have a different definition of the word immersive. Why would you want it to be on par with an outdated play area that has no rides?

And yes, opening the temporary walkway from the ToT area has really helped bring more people in. Last week most of the rides had 20-25 min waits and the whole place was really crowded.
    Immersive to me is what Disney is best at. It makes you believe that you are something, somewhere, someplace other than what is reality. I just don't believe "A Bug's Land". It's one of my favorite Pixar movies and personally I just don't think this area is doing ti justice.

I think "play area" should be taken as an interesting environment, stimulaing to children... but all the while there is a detailed ride experience taking you into the Bug world.

And I just thought of another idea for another side attraction. There would be this immersive bug environment, an immersive bug ride experience, and an immersive bug comedy show, P.T. Flea's Circus. Virtually the same from the movie. It would bring another show to DCA and also be fantastic to the environment with a throwback to the film.

All of these are prime examples of great Disney entertainment.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

• Banned User

What I'm getting at (regarding immersive) is that all they did was add a bunch of uber tall trees and bamboo, then threw in standard rides. The HISTK backlot area is just a comparison. I'd love to see something of that detail (that was there when it opened). The statues of The characters are smaller than the people that walk around them, why not make them bigger? Either way, there's some stuff they could do to pluss it.