Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• A Malice in Wonderland...

Does it matter to you if someone is a Disney Legend?

What is the purpose of the Disney Legend program? What does it take to become a Disney legend? Does anybody really care about the process at all. The reason I pose these questions is that in the realm of Disneyland the term "Disney Legend" is thrown out there quite a bit. Disney Legends Bob Gurr, Marty Sklar, Harper Goff, or even Mary Blair are all MAJOR contributors to how Disneyland developed. It made me admire these creative and trail-blazing people even more. Yet lately it seems that many of the inductees are people I've never heard of. (that's not to say i'm so arrogant to think I know everyone who makes a significant contribution to Disney Co) Now I do know that the Disney Legends program covers all divisions of Disney not just the parks, however when people I am aware of like Betty White, or Bea Arthur, or Frank Gifford, with fairly small Disney ties, are inducted as Disney Legends it makes me wonder if this distinction is really relevant anymore or indeed if it ever was.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Does it matter to you if someone is a Disney Legend?

It matters to me more about the folks that really had a part in building Disney parks and movies to the level they are now.

But the more modern inductees... I dunno. Are they just hired a lot by Disney or did they really have a positive impact in the company? Folks like Wayne Alwine I can understand. Others... less so.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It matters to me more about the folks that really had a part in building Disney parks and movies to the level they are now.

But the more modern inductees... I dunno. Are they just hired a lot by Disney or did they really have a positive impact in the company? Folks like Wayne Alwine I can understand. Others... less so.
    Agreed. The only reason I thought adding Robin Williams was cool is because I got to see him at the D23 Expo

But like you said, Cohete, I understand a lot of the classic Imagineers and such who had a significant impact on the company... but since Disney is making this an annual thing, I'm really afraid the "Legends" titled is going to start being thrown around wherever Disney needs to get more publicity.

And I'm sorry, but, the Golden Girls? How did they really impact Disney?

• U. B. Bold

Well, it's not really about me (or you) is it? It's about the people who are honored. It's Disney's way of honoring their own just as the Academy Awards is a love fest for those in the film industry. We fans may watch from the sidelines, and are free to agree or disagree on who really deserves the honor, but in the end it's a Disney prize for Disney's people.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Well, it's not really about me (or you) is it? It's about the people who are honored. It's Disney's way of honoring their own just as the Academy Awards is a love fest for those in the film industry. We fans may watch from the sidelines, and are free to agree or disagree on who really deserves the honor, but in the end it's a Disney prize for Disney's people.

Fair enough.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    And I'm sorry, but, the Golden Girls? How did they really impact Disney?
    Money. The show earned them a lot of money. And a fair amount of Emmys, too.

• MiceChat Moderator

Yah the thing with television is that... I still don't associate it with "Disney". And that's just something I'll have to get used to I suppose.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Well, there's television and there's good television. Unfortunately in recent years Disney hasn't made much if any of the latter. In the early years, however, it was different. And...if it wasn't for tv we wouldn't have Disneyland :-)

• Collision speed....FULL!

What do you mean does it matter to you if someone is a Disney Legend, this site freaks when there's a Tony Baxter siting (and he's not even a Disney legend!).

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    What do you mean does it matter to you if someone is a Disney Legend, this site freaks when there's a Tony Baxter siting (and he's not even a Disney legend!).
    The Disney Legend title is much like a "Hall of Fame". While Tony may not be a "Disney Legend". You could refere to him as a "future Disney Legend" much like athletes like Derek Jeter, Brett Favre, Kobe Bryant etc. can be called "future hall of famer".

It's just a nice way for them to honor their own. I belong to a professional organization that has a "hall of fame" that I'm sure few outsiders would care about, but it's important to the people in my industry.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Jack's Posse

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    The Disney Legend title is much like a "Hall of Fame". While Tony may not be a "Disney Legend". You could refere to him as a "future Disney Legend" much like athletes like Derek Jeter, Brett Favre, Kobe Bryant etc. can be called "future hall of famer".

It's just a nice way for them to honor their own. I belong to a professional organization that has a "hall of fame" that I'm sure few outsiders would care about, but it's important to the people in my industry.
    yeah it is maybe who disney believes had a major impact on the company and who they choose, not our choices

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

What's even cooler than meeting a Disney Legend in person? Having a piece of them in your personal collection!

This particular nametag was given to Legend Bill Sullivan. Each Legend has made a significant contribution to Disney in some way. I am glad to see them honored.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    ... I'm really afraid the "Legends" titled is going to start being thrown around wherever Disney needs to get more publicity.
    You do realize that "more publicity" is the very reason why Disney even has a Legends program, don't you?

In October 1987, the Disney Channel was airing "The Shaggy Dog" and "The Shaggy D.A." (Do you remember when the Disney Channel used to air vintage Disney programming?) To promote "Shaggy Dog Month," the Disney Legends award was created and given to Fred MacMurray - the first person "honored" with this award. So, in essence, the "Legends" title has always been about publicity.

I'm glad the program has been able to recognize through the years some truly deserving, if unheralded, people who have made Disney what it is today. I also agree that there are some truly head-scratching recipients as the Disney empire has expanded. Personally, my jump-the-shark "Disney" Legends recipient is Frank Gifford.
    "I Only Hope That We Never Lose Sight Of One Thing,
    That It Was All Started By A Mouse." - Walt Disney
    http://www.StartedByAMouse.com

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    agreed.

Others is just cuddlin' up to Hollywood (I think).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Closed Account

Funny you should bring this up.

I was recently contacted by the daughter of a gentleman named Earl Vilmer. Earl Who? you say.

Well, Earl's probably one of the more important imagineers you've never heard of.

Earl Vilmer was hired by Disney and Roger Broggie in 1954, in order to actually build the Disneyland Railroad. After the Park opened, he was head of the steam trains, and later, head of Park maintenance. In the 1960s, Roger Broggie again hand-picked him to be in charge of salvaging vintage steam locomotive from the Yucatan for use at WDW. There, he again supervised the construction of the railroad and the rebuilding of the engines. And yet...how many people have ever heard of him--even dedicated Disney fans?

Earl's daughter sent me all of Earl's Disney files and memorabilia, which I've been going through, in order to be able to write the full story of this man and his contributions to the Disney organization. After all, what would Disneyland or Disney World be without their railroads? Earl saw to it that Walt Disney's biggest dream--a Park surrounded by a train--was realized.

Our goal is to see if we can get Earl nominated for a Legend award. I have the contact information for the head of the nominating committee, and will be doing articles and posts here and elsewhere in the near future about Earl. I will be featuring lots of the materials in his collection in order to tell the story--some of which I've already used in recent past threads. I am hoping to raise awareness of this gentleman and his accomplishments.

As noted, some of the more-recent Legend winners seem, at least outwardly, to be slightly less than legendary. Hopefully I will be able to help someone who truly derserves the award to get one--albeit posthumously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast