Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Premier Passport - The Math?

I don't really understand the benefit of the new Premier Passport. I know Disney is saying that if you buy an annual pass for both WDW and DL you'll save over $200, but how many people do that? How many people are in both DL and WDW often enough to justify annual passes for BOTH locations?

I'm on the West Coast. So, if I go on a WDW vacation once a year and buy a seven-day, park-hopper ticket with the "Water Parks & More" option, I'm looking at $335. If I add on no expiration so I can split my days into two separate trips, it's $453. If I go really crazy and buy 10 days with no expiration, it's $556 -- and since there is no expiration, I don't even have to make those visits in the same year.

A Southern California resident can buy an annual pass for $215. A deluxe annual pass (for anyone) is $299.

So, really, the ONLY way this new pass is in any way a convenience or a money saver is if the following apply:

* I live outside of Florida or Southern California

* I plan to go to the resorts during blackout dates

* And I plan to go incredibly frequently to resorts on both coasts

Are there people out there that spend every weekend shuttling between Southern California and Central Florida?

Am I missing something? Under what circumstances, exactly, would this pass make sense? The way I'm slicing the numbers, I can get the same benefits with substantially less investment in several different ways.

Is the primary appeal the prestige of having the card? I have to say, it seemed alluring ... and then I started trying to do the math in a way that justified the cost.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Premier Passport - The Math?

It is a savings vs. having PREMIUM Passes for both parks.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    I don't really understand the benefit of the new Premier Passport. I know Disney is saying that if you buy an annual pass for both WDW and DL you'll save over $200, but how many people do that? How many people are in both DL and WDW often enough to justify annual passes for BOTH locations?
    If you have a Premium passport for WDW - this is only an $80 upgrade for you to be able to goto the DLR for the full year, with full perks. That's the value.

If you are a PAP at DLR - you need to make one lavish trip, or multiple trips to WDW to make it worth it for you.

I'm on the West Coast. So, if I go on a WDW vacation once a year and buy a seven-day, park-hopper ticket with the "Water Parks & More" option, I'm looking at $335. If I add on no expiration so I can split my days into two separate trips, it's $453. If I go really crazy and buy 10 days with no expiration, it's $556 -- and since there is no expiration, I don't even have to make those visits in the same year.

A Southern California resident can buy an annual pass for $215. A deluxe annual pass (for anyone) is $299.

So, really, the ONLY way this new pass is in any way a convenience or a money saver is if the following apply:

Are there people out there that spend every weekend shuttling between Southern California and Central Florida?
    Its simple... why do people buy a PAP over a DAP? The same reasoning applies here.. If someone has already justified why they would want a PAP - there is no point in comparing the two resort Premium pass to the cost of a SoCal or Deluxe pass. You're comparing different target audiences.

Am I missing something? Under what circumstances, exactly, would this pass make sense? The way I'm slicing the numbers, I can get the same benefits with substantially less investment in several different ways.
    You can not the same benefits cheaper - you can cut corners and make trips to both parks cheaper - but not at the same features. If those features are important to you - its worth the cost and is a discount if you are a DL PAP and goto WDW for more then one week.

The pass isn't as attractive to a DL local - nor does it necessarily have to be. The product is a premium product - not a discount product.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Not a Minion

My teacher used to work for Disney and one thing, if anything, that I've learned is that Disney does their research before releasing a new product because to find out if the cost of creating and developing the product would really benefit the company and the end user.

To the company, the benefit is profit.

To the end user, it's convenience.

So let's do the math here. Disney probably developed this pass with their audience in mind. They probably saw that there were a good amount of people who carried both annual passes to DL and WDW. It may not be many, but it's enough to justify the cost of creating the Premiere pass.

To the end user (customer), they buy a $700 pass to cover them for both parks, with no blackout dates, and if I recall, included parking. So essentially, a premium pass to both parks combined into one.

For Disneyland, the premium pass is $439 while for WDW, the premium is $489, assuming you're a resident, or $619 if non-resident. Doing the math, this price combines together to be a total of $928 or $1058, depending if you're a florida resident or not. Right away, that's a huge savings of around 228 to $358.

There are those other options of getting multi-day tickets, but I think Disney has a specific audience here - those that travel to the parks frequently, either one or both. For example, I'm a deluxe pass holder, so my passes value is $299. If I were looking to need to buy tickets to WDW and multi day tickets would cost me more than $401, then I would most definitely just get an premiere pass.

It's not a solution for everyone, but for a specific group.

So what is it in for Disney? Well, my only thought is a shared expiration. I guess that with one expiration to both parks, it seems liek guests would be more psychologically enticed to travel and stay at the resorts more often, allowing Disney to make more money from hotel stays and merchandising. In addition, a shared expiration date makes it difficult to make the most out of your money to both parks. So in an sense, even though you could get a lot of value out of this new pass, to me, it seems like Disney is playing a game where they hope you don't so you pay all that extra cash but in turn, won't be using the benefits. An example of this is how theme parks do the buy a day, get a year promo.

Anyways, the last part of this is a somewhat weaker argument, but I think it's easy to say that to get the equivalent value of the premiere pass by getting two premium passes to both resorts, you do save a good amount by getting the newly released pass.

• Rock Star Minion

Spending more = saving more.

really, it's that simple.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Good comments, all. Thank you. Definitely not for me.

Then again, I remember the days of ticket books, when you could use A-E tickets at EITHER Disneyland or Walt Disney World, they wouldn't expire (ever) and parking was $2.

If im currently a PAP holder at Disneyland Resort the upgrade to this premier pass would be around $271 or so. Im sure a 10 day park hopper to all parks in WDW would cost me double that amount... This premier pass just gave me incentive to take my first vacation to WDW this summer

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I'd just like to throw this in, as well: I'm a Premium AP at DL. The price for that now is $439. To upgrade to the Premier Pass would cost me $261. With the Water Parks and More, and Park Hopper options added on, the only ticket that would be cheaper to buy by itself costs $260... for 2 days. 3 days it goes up to $323 and at 7 days it goes up to only $338.

If I ever take a WDW vacation, I'm SO upgrading to the Premier Passport. I'd be a fool not to.
    Last edited by dland_lover; 03-11-2010 at 06:53 PM.

• Jack's Posse

Is the primary appeal the prestige of having the card? I have to say, it seemed alluring ... and then I started trying to do the math in a way that justified the cost.
    does the pass really have blackout dates??? Because technicly speaking you would go whenever you want

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

^No, the Premier Passport does not have any blockout days.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSkellington View Post
    does the pass really have blackout dates??? Because technicly speaking you would go whenever you want
    No it doesn't... but other DL passes do.. so he's highlighting 'why would I want a Premium DL AP' - part of that is avoiding blackout dates.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I go to both parks several times a year. Heck... just look at my sig. Since I have passes to both resorts right now, they will be sending me my new pass in the mail. The HUGE bonus is, my WDW AP was going to expire on May22nd, and I just renewed my DL AP yesterday, which now means my WDW AP was just extended till March of next year! Not to bad!
    Jaxum- Disneyland Aficionado!
    Disneyland, WDW, and DLPR Annual Passholder
    D23 1st Day Charter Member
    My Disneyland and WDW videos and photos!
    http://youtube.com/tkfore21 .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxum_readis/sets/

Disney days for 2009:
    Disneyland:(27) / Tokyo Parks:(4) / WDW:(19)
    Total Days in the parks for 2009: 50!
    Disney days for 2010:
    Disneyland: (27) / WDW:(31) / DLRP: (6)
    Total Days so far in the parks for 2010: 63!
    D23 and Other events:
    Expo '09, Candlelight Spectacular '09, Magic and Merriment '09, D23 Anniversary DL/WDW, Studio Tour April '10, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Destination D: Disneyland 55, Disneyland Scavenger Hunt, Sip and Stroll '10, Tangled Screening, TRON Pop-up Shop, Magic & Merriment '10, Everest Challenge '09, Adventurer's Club Weekend '09, DL Candlelight '09, Gumball Rally '10, WDW Radio 24 Hour Live Show '10, Disneyland's 55th Anniversary, Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet '10, Mickey's Halloween 5k '10,WDW Radio Walkabout '10, ConGaloosh '10, DL Candlelight '10

•   
    • Minion

Anyone know if this new premiere pass has any discounts tied in with it?

When you can't get the So Cal passes, the premier passport makes a whole lot of sense if you're going to be a Disneyland AP and plan on making a normal (5-7 day) visit to WDW.

Off the top of my head, the most likely discounts with the premier passport will mirror the discounts available with the PAP of each resort.

In other words, I'm guessing that if you hold a premier passport, you'll get the following discounts at WDW:

Your World of Disney Store only merchandise discount.
    Ability to purchase the Tables in Wonderland dining card for discounts at most WDW eateries.
    AP room rates as applicable.

At Disneyland you'd receive the usual PAP benefits.

They may offer heavier discounts, but given that Disneyland has better PAP discounts, I'm not sure how WDW will take to that.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxum View Post
    I go to both parks several times a year. Heck... just look at my sig. Since I have passes to both resorts right now, they will be sending me my new pass in the mail. The HUGE bonus is, my WDW AP was going to expire on May22nd, and I just renewed my DL AP yesterday, which now means my WDW AP was just extended till March of next year! Not to bad!
    Not a bad deal.

I also think the examples the OP listed are not fair.
    You have to compare pass to pass (apples to apples, not apples to oranges).

You can't say year pass for Disneyland
    then 7 day pass for WDW.
    Of course it will be cheaper.

and for WDW ppl who go to Disneyland, it's a steal.
    $81 more for all the parks vs buying two AP's.
    If you want to go the apple/orange route. They are paying $9 over the price of a one day pass...but who flies all the way for a one day pass. You can't get a two day pass for $81. Now you get a year....dang!
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast