Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    • șoș Tom șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Posts
    3,600

    3rd Gate Suggestions

    Having spent numerous hours chatting this up with family, friends and cast members I am curious what the real true fans think of a third gate, slightly away from the main lot would do for them AND what it should be, keeping in mind realistic factors like space, money, proximity and obviously the history of the 2nd gate: DCA.

    Don't get goofy people, we all know what properties Disney has under there belt and which ones they don't so be realistic.







  2. #2

    • Kirbyshowcase.com
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    322
    (insert funny comment here)

  3. #3

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    1,063
    Realistic... a water/mini-golf park.

    What I'd really like? A park split down two sides, heros and villans. You'd enter what is now the strawberry patch off Harbor heading East.... You'd go down a Main Street like entrance except castle wall themed. Left side, very clean and happy feeling.... Like Cindy and Sleeping Beauty castle, white brick with gold and silver trim and lots of rounded surfaces. To the right, dark, spooky, castle wall with sharp angles and "evil" feel.

    This entrance way opens into a big hub. To the North (sun shining on its face) would be a hero's castle. To the South, all shadowed, would be a dark, spooky, black villians castle. Lands to the North would be things like Agrobah and Beauty and the Beast's France and Neverland. To the South would be Chernabog's lair and Mt Doom and Dueling Dragons type lands.




    Or, buy up the rights to do a Middle Earth them park and have Rivendale and Shire to the North and Mordor to the South.... Same concept.

    Of course, by this point, DCA woud alread be rename Disney's Adventures.... HPB would be just Hollywood of the '20s. Pier would be "Under the Sealand" with Aerial and Nemo. Grizzly Rec area would expand into Bay/Golden dreams to make more wilderness area. Bugs land would be expanded with some real rides... A web coaster. Wharf would be flatted and serve as the entrance to all new lands in the Timon lot...


    Well, there's my 20-year resort expansion plan.

  4. #4

    • șoș Tom șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Posts
    3,600
    Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    Realistic... a water/mini-golf park.

    What I'd really like? A park split down two sides, heros and villans. You'd enter what is now the strawberry patch off Harbor heading East.... You'd go down a Main Street like entrance except castle wall themed. Left side, very clean and happy feeling.... Like Cindy and Sleeping Beauty castle, white brick with gold and silver trim and lots of rounded surfaces. To the right, dark, spooky, castle wall with sharp angles and "evil" feel.

    This entrance way opens into a big hub. To the North (sun shining on its face) would be a hero's castle. To the South, all shadowed, would be a dark, spooky, black villians castle. Lands to the North would be things like Agrobah and Beauty and the Beast's France and Neverland. To the South would be Chernabog's lair and Mt Doom and Dueling Dragons type lands.




    Or, buy up the rights to do a Middle Earth them park and have Rivendale and Shire to the North and Mordor to the South.... Same concept.

    Of course, by this point, DCA woud alread be rename Disney's Adventures.... HPB would be just Hollywood of the '20s. Pier would be "Under the Sealand" with Aerial and Nemo. Grizzly Rec area would expand into Bay/Golden dreams to make more wilderness area. Bugs land would be expanded with some real rides... A web coaster. Wharf would be flatted and serve as the entrance to all new lands in the Timon lot...


    Well, there's my 20-year resort expansion plan.
    Remarkable I agree with a lot (despite saying not ideas for things they don't own) especially since Lord of the Rings is controlled by the grubby hands of New Line, whose parent is Warner Bros, sworn enemy of the Disney corp.

    I do agree the Strawberry field is by far the best example of land that could be used for a 3rd gate. More so the Villains idea is brillant, simply wonderful.

    I do like the suggestion I read in another thread for a hybred Disney Sea and Animal Kingdom but with direct proximity to the San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park and Sea World suggestions as such seem almost not worth throwing about as they don't make a whole lot of sense.

    Obviously Westcot isn't a viable suggestion but who knows...







  5. #5

    • Reaver of Souls
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Resident of the Etherial...
    Posts
    1,238

    Great idea!

    I love the duel-themed resort idea. Good and evil, yin and yang in the same park. I would never step foot out of the "evil" side, though. Everyone knows that's where the action would be!

    But seriously, ther are 2 main problems with that - 1) DL itself is basically the land you described as the "good" side, so you'd get a lot of repetition. 2) Disney couldn't do the "evil" side as well as people who would want to experience that side (such as myself) would like. They'd have to pull too many punches, and it would end up being watered-down. Sad really. I'm envisioning a Matterhorn-sized mountain with an animatronic Chenobog that opens up at night - "Night on Bald Mountain" blaring Fantasmic!-like through the area... That would be like a dream to me. I'd be there 3 or 4 times a week just to see that...

    Oh, and just out of curiosity, where would stich fall in this good/bad park? If he had his own ride, would it have to be somewhere in the middle?

    But back to reality, a water/mini-golf park is probably more realistic. If only to demonstrate to Knott's that Disney can still bury them... Plus Raging Waters is getting pretty bad these days, and if they can throw a "Crush 'n' Gusher" into a park here, that would be huge...
    Last edited by Reaver; 03-04-2005 at 10:05 AM.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

  6. #6

    • Reaver of Souls
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Resident of the Etherial...
    Posts
    1,238
    Bump!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

  7. #7

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,872
    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Having spent numerous hours chatting this up with family, friends and cast members I am curious what the real true fans think of a third gate, slightly away from the main lot would do for them AND what it should be, keeping in mind realistic factors like space, money, proximity and obviously the history of the 2nd gate: DCA.

    Don't get goofy people, we all know what properties Disney has under there belt and which ones they don't so be realistic.
    http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=745

    all about designing and getting ready for adding a 3rd gate

  8. #8

    • It's all nonsense
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    You'll never guess
    Posts
    2,552
    A water/mini golf park? Are you guys serious? People don't even like that there's a boardwalk theme in DCA, a miniture golf course would be even worse IMO.
    I like the LOTR idea, but that's too specific of a theme, it would exclude alot of people that don't care for that sort of thing.

  9. #9

    • șoș Tom șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Posts
    3,600
    I suppose if Disney can get the rights to any children's property and liscense it the most logical property for a family themed park would be Harry Potter, which only Disney imagineers could do right anyways, right?

    *Hogwarts- imagine the possibilites
    *Quidich matchs
    *Diagon Alley
    *Hogsmeade
    *Etc

    You guys get the idea, but like LOTR, its goes beyond the suggestion of the thread and is merly a whimsical idea with out any hope of seeing the light of day







  10. #10

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    1) DL itself is basically the land you described as the "good" side, so you'd get a lot of repetition.
    There's already repition... Astro-orbitor is dumbo. King Triton's carosel is King Arthurs (just smaller). Toad, Pinoc, Snow, Pooh... same ride. TSI, RCCT same. Bugs, Muppets, HISTA...

    DL has themes from pre-1960s. They'd keep the traditional princesses... Snow, Cindy, Arora.. There are lots of hero-villan, fairytale movies that can be done in the new park. Mermaid and Lion King would be reserved for DCA's makeover, but that still leaves lots of themes for the 3rd gate. Belle, Jasmine.... errrr... ummmm.... Mulan's China, Herc's Greece


    Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    2) Disney couldn't do the "evil" side as well as people who would want to experience that side (such as myself) would like. They'd have to pull too many punches, and it would end up being watered-down. Sad really.
    No more so than pirates and haunted mansion. Oh, oh... Halloween town with Jack and Sally! There goes HMH!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    Oh, and just out of curiosity, where would stich fall in this good/bad park? If he had his own ride, would it have to be somewhere in the middle?
    Disney's Adventures once the silly California is dropped from the title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    But back to reality, a water/mini-golf park is probably more realistic. If only to demonstrate to Knott's that Disney can still bury them... Plus Raging Waters is getting pretty bad these days, and if they can throw a "Crush 'n' Gusher" into a park here, that would be huge...
    What's up with Raging Waters??? As a grad of San Dimas High (class of '85) I used to hang out there all the time... Haven't been back in 19 years though... Raging Waters isn't really 22 years old already, is it??? Where did the time go?)

  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    A water/mini golf park? Are you guys serious? People don't even like that there's a boardwalk theme in DCA, a miniture golf course would be even worse IMO.
    It isn't what I want.... It is what I think could be built with what the budget for a 3rd gate is likely to be.

    You have to take the strawberry patch/employee parking lot, then whack out a chunk for a parking garage to replace timon as DCA grows into that, plus parking for the 3rd gate.

    Of what is left, whack out another chunk for a new hotel. They're not building another park without resort hotel rooms for it to fill up.

    Now, allocate about half a billion dollars to build a 3rd gate on the small chunk of land that is left.....



    +++++++++++++++++++
    Then again.... Disney isn't going to want a third gate that is only open 6 months a year. Impossibe to sell hotel rooms, and they really like their 80%+ year-roud occupancy rate.

    Maybe the 3rd gate will be something else.... I doubt AK like since there is no room for animals. DCA is already too MGM like. World Showcase like would be tough without countries sponsoring their pavellions, and it is getting hard to find those for the Epcot world showcase. Disneyseas like.... Maybe. We do know how they like to reuse ideas.

  12. #12

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,069
    World Showcase, as it is done at Epcot, wouldn't really pan out. But who says Anaheim would have to do it the way they did?

    Sure, Fantasyland already covers England... more England, and maybe a little ambiguous German/Swiss, but there's a whole lot that isn't covered. Why not create a similar kind of fantasy/whimsical World Showcase with more emphasis on E tickets and less movies. People have talked about the Great Wall/Dragon coaster. Replace the Harambe wildlife with state-of-the-art AAs, and get rid of the poaching -- that's a downer that we don't need in an AMUSEMENT park... Have an Amazon flume ride. Just inject a little more ride-consciousness into the World Showcase concept, and you can have a home run.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

    "There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

    "A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

    -- Walt Disney

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] HKDL gate no.2 Vs HKOP gate no. 2
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2009, 05:39 AM
  2. Why a 3rd Gate?
    By techskip in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 10:08 PM
  3. What would you want as a third gate at DLR?
    By pianoman13 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 10:00 PM
  4. Third Gate?
    By DoppelV in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 03:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •