• Minion

Premium or Deluxe AP

Just looking for other opinions here.

My situation is this.

I will be making a last minute trip in about 2 weeks (March 26-30).

Since I have not been to DL since Spring 2008 my plan is to get an AP and make the next year a Disney trip year. I figure to get 3 trips in, one now, one in the Spring and one this fall/winter.

So my debate is Deluxe vs Premium.

The 26th is a blackout day, so I could not get in on a Deluxe. On the other hand I could get a 4 day pass and take advantage of the Early Entry, which could be very useful since the parks are likely to be packed (Easter week and a cheer competition).

Then again, I would only be able to do that on Saturday as I have other plans for Sunday morning.

The price difference is $ 140 so I would need to justify that.

Normally I get a hotel close to the park and walk in, but I might do parking a few days.

My gut says the Deluxe because I am unlikely to do that many days parking and the food discounts are pretty similar and I don't do much merchandise.

Also, what are the rules for upgrading an AP ?

IE if I buy Deluxe now, then upgrade to Premium in 6 months would I have to pay full cost of upgrade or just proportional ? Or can I even do that ?

So I would love input on what to do as well as any hotel suggestions or tips on where to buy passes/tickets.
    Last edited by tiggerfan; 03-13-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Re: Premium or Deluxe AP

Don't even bother... now that the weather is warming up, the crowds are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfan View Post

Normally I get a hotel close to the park and walk in, but I might do parking a few days.

My gut says the Deluxe because I am unlikely to do that many days parking and the food discounts are pretty similar and I don't do much merchandise.

Also, what are the rules for upgrading an AP ?

IE if I buy Deluxe now, then upgrade to Premium in 6 months would I have to pay full cost of upgrade or just proportional ? Or can I even do that ?

So I would love input on what to do as well as any hotel suggestions or tips on where to buy passes/tickets.

I'm dealing with the same issue right now... My mom and I just went in Feb. but since our last trip was in 2007, we now have Disneyland Fever! LOL...

It's your choice on what AP you want but if you are like us (Will go 2-5 trips, don't want summer dates or Holiday dates) then the Deluxe will do.

(We plan to go the week before Christmas week, then Jan., March/April then in the fall)

BTW: For the parking, you can add it to the Deluxe I believe it's $80 . So just do the math for you... i.e. it's $14 per day to park (w/o Discount) in order for it to make sense you would have to park more than 6 days total in the year of the pass. (Plus, if you're staying motels, you would be able to stay a little further away and that would save $ that way)

About upgrading this is what it says on the disneyland.com website:

What if I want to upgrade to a different Passport type? You may upgrade your Passport type at anytime during your Annual Passport year. The expiration date of your current Pass will not change with upgrades. If you purchase a Blockout day ticket and decide to upgrade your Annual Pass later that same day, you may apply the price of the Blockout Day ticket towards the purchase price of the upgrade. Also, if you paid for parking in the Mickey & Friends parking structure on the same day that you are upgrading to a Premium Annual Passport or are adding the parking option to your current Annual Pass, present your paid parking ticket while upgrading and you will be reimbursed for the parking cost. Upgrades are not available online. Visit any Disneylandģ Resort Main Entrance Ticket Booth or the Annual Passport Processing Center inside Disneylandģ Park for complete details.
    Last edited by metchick01; 03-15-2010 at 02:46 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

We've had success buying a 3-day pass, using the the 3 days (with early entry) and then upgrading to Deluxe on the last day. Then go in on the fourth day on the AP. Also, the first day you use an AP is NEVER blocked out. (That works if your first day is a Saturday.)
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

• DLR Cast Member

I always got the Premium AP when I was buying them. Includes parking, and the discount on meals is 15% v. 10% for Select and below. Maybe not significant if you eat at Village Haus, but with larger tabs at Blue Bayou or other table service restaurants, the extra 5% can add up.

• Wilderness Explorer

If you're only planning on going 3-4 times in a year, then I'd say a Deluxe is the easy decision.

Unless those 3-4 times are trips, maybe 2-3 days per trip, averaging around 10 days in a year... if you're parking at a Disney lot all 4 of those days, there's the $140.
    But chances are, if it's a trip you're staying in a hotel and taking a bus or something over.
    If that's the case, then you won't even need to worry about parking, and if you by chance are there 1 day when it's blacked out, that's only $40 and you're still saving yourself $100 in the long run.

Really a premium pass is geared towards someone who lives close enough to go a lot so that the extra 5-10% of savings and the free parking will really add up.
    I've gone 18 days since I've had mine and I keep track of every $$ saved (including all the % off) and I've easily justified spending the extra on a Premium.

Hope all that helps

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

The premium is also worth the extra cost or justified if you know that you are going to be visiting on multi block out days, which for me I usually do. I would say half my visits are on a block out day. And I always park in the structure, so that alone usually covers the cost. I prefer to drive than to take a shuttle. I've had extrememly few issues with parking in the structure. Maybe that's because I get there at 8am so it's still early.

• Minion

Thanks for the input

At this point I'm looking at a Deluxe. I have a room at Abby's Anaheimer (not spectacular but not bad) and it's walking distance to Simba lot.

If in the future I find the need for parking I might add parking pass
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

When I had a Deluxe pass a few years ago, I had looked into upgrading a Deluxe Pass to a Premium and learned that the cost of upgrade is simply the difference between the two passes regardless of whether you have 11 months or 11 days left on your pass. In other words, there is no "pro-ration" of the difference.

I've looked at it many times and, to me, the Deluxe makes the most sense. If you want a parking upgrade, you can still add that on at $79 (not cheap, but still cheaper than a Premium pass). For me, though, I *don't* want to be at the parks on those super-busy holidays anyway, so most of the blackout dates are fine with me.

• Johnny and Me!

I prefer the Deluxe w/ parking. Mainly because the parks tend to be crowded on the Deluxe blockout days and on the SoCal non-blockout days. You'd only have to go about 4 times for it to be worth it.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

If you at a hotel that is right across from Disneyland, I don't see why you would bother w/ parking at the "resort".
    As ppl have mentioned (in other threads) the parking situation is bad and the spaces fill up quick.
    Plus with free parking at your hotel, not sure why you would throw in the extra cost of parking when you could use that money in other places.

Deluxe is most likely your best bet (unless you go several times or if you go, it's always block out dates).
    And as someone else said, if you upgrade, you pay the difference (no matter how many days are left in the year).
    Another thing to remember with A/P's (doubt it's changed). If you renew your pass by mail/website (saving $20) and during the year you decide to upgrade, that $20 Disney gave to you in discount you'll basically be giving it back to them. They look at what you paid (not the reg. base cost of the pass) and do the difference of what the new cost would be (full price of the Premium or whatever you are looking into). Like I said, I did that one year and that's what happened to me.... don't know if they have changed that rule.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Insanity is catching :D

Quick question - is there any discount on any merchandise for Premium passholders? I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to shopping when I visit, so I was just curious. Thanks

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

There are indeed with the Premium Pass.

The official Disneyland AP site has a tonne of info if you wish to browse.

• Insanity is catching :D

Thank you very much Trevor!
    The oddest thing, when I went to click on the discounts page it only showed the restaurants... I clicked back, and it stayed on the page and a bar dropped down showing the merch discount... weird :S
    Well now I'm *really* chocked I didn't get the premium pass last time... the amount I go crazy on merch I'd have saved a bundle Oh well, next time