Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Exclamation Armchair Imagineering II

TrevorD's

only on MICECHAT!

What happens when you put Disney Imagineering and competition together for a second time? You get an Imagitition! Sooner than we all thought, the second AI is upon us. I am already excited to see all of the amazing submissions which are just six weeks away. Without further ado, letís get to the details.

All details to follow are subject to change with or without notification by TrevorD, Dustysage, any MiceChat administrator or any Sponsor.

The Details

The team submission deadline is Saturday, April 3rd and the contest will officially start at that time.

The contest will run for five weeks from the official start date (Saturday, April 3rd) ending on Saturday, May 8th. On the Wednesday before that, there will be a call for thread submissions as a reminder. Do not submit threads until this date to avoid cheating and stolen ideas. Submissions received after May 8th will not be in contention for judging the grand prize. The results will be released later in the week, after judging has wrapped up and the winner has been officially determined.

The contestants will choose from two prompts which they will use to create their submissions.

Judging

As before, the judges will be marking the submissions on a predetermined set of criteria. It is highly recommended that contestants review this list and make sure that their submissions touch on all the issues. This will easily improve your final score.

-30 Story/Consistent Plot
    -20 Criteria Met
    -10 Design Creativity & Unique Experience
    -10 Technology gracefully Incorporated
    -10 Cohesiveness with Surroundings
    -05 Technical Design and Detail
    -05 Ride Efficiency (capacity etc)
    -10 Presentation and Description

Hints and Tips

When you think about discussing a future Disney ride, you have to take into account every human sense and emotion. What will riders see, hear, smell, touch, taste and what emotions will they be led to feel? Please consider important attraction details such as Audio, Layout, Effects, Ride/Queue Theme, Capacity, Interaction with Surroundings, Plot and Ride Objective. From there, move into the smaller details if time permits such as technical details (type of ride system, how effects will work, operating procedures, etc.). Another big thing to consider is feasibility. Do you need to remove existing buildings or can they be reworked to suit your needs?

You have wide creative license, but if you can explain why your proposal is more feasible and why the guests will get for the money, you will almost undoubtedly get a higher final score. Similarly, although you might have all of the things listed above in mind for your design, unless you describe how they all work together in your attraction, the judges cannot award you full points. Judges should not be left to fill in the blanks for you. Work everything into your design very clearly and leave no question unanswered. The more concise and complete your entry, the easier your road to winning.

Remember, impressive graphics are only worth a small mark in and of themselves, but using them or another form of communication to enhance your description will help you across the board. You do not need a scale model or anything of that magnitude, but any extra details or audio visual aids you use to make your project interesting or enhance the readers understanding of the project will be greatly appreciated! You would be doing yourself a disservice if you submit a pure text submission as it is much harder to explain what you have come up with. However, if you explain things fully and descriptively, you can still win without audio visual enhancements.

The Contest Requirements

Below are the requirements which we have created for this competition. You must meet all of these requirements in order to win. Please keep these requirements in mind as you construct your new attraction.
    1) Attraction must be a D-E ticket.
    2) Attraction must be appropriate for a family audience of a wide age range
    3) Attraction must capture or enhance the theme of the land it is in
    4) You must work within the space allotted for your attraction and cannot incorporate areas outside of what is described below.

Option 1 - The Innoventions Building
    Tomorrowland

With such a large and prime building for redevelopment, the old Carousel of Progress theatre turned Innoventions building is yours to reimagineer.
    1) Create a unique attraction based on the lifestyle or technology of the future, or an attraction that follows the time line of a technological invention from its conception to the future.
    2) The attraction must fit on the footprint of the building and its backstage building to the East. Failure to meet these recommendations will result in significant deductions.

View the location on Bing Maps - Here:
    http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=33.811982763883755~-117.9165306687355&lvl=19&sty=h&sp=Point.pn1sxp5567 t5_Innoventions____&where1=Disneyland%2C%20CA
    Blueprints and other information about this attraction space may be available online. Take advantage of the internet to aid your research. The building is approximately 190ft in diameter.

Option 2 - The Monsters Inc. Building
    Hollywoodland

Hereís another large building to work with.
    1) Propose a Hollywoodland themed ride set in the 1930's.
    2) Whether movie based, or based on the city of Hollywoodland itself, you must create a unique attraction that fits inside or on the footprint of the current show building and queue.
    3) Failure to meet the requirements of competition and of this option will result in significant deductions.

View the location here on Bing Maps:
    http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=pn18mj5566bt&scene=31461413&lvl=1&sty=b&sp =Point.pn18mj5566bv_Monsters%20Inc____&where1=Disn eyland%2C%20CA
    Blueprints and other information about this attraction are much harder to come by, but the building is approx 176ft North-East and 105ft North-South.

The Grand Prize*

We have a great Grand Prize for this event that only MICECHAT could offer. The project with the highest score** at the end of the contest will receive a 2 night stay for 2 people at the Howard Johnson Anaheim Resort courtesy of Dustysage and MiceChat partner Howard Johnson Anaheim Resort. From their amazing water park to their awesome location, the fantastic Howard Johnson Anaheim Resort is a prime location for any Disneyland stay. The winner and a guest will have two nights to enjoy in this classic retro hotel just steps away from the Disneyland Resort. A huge thanks to Dusty, the HoJo, and MiceChat for arranging this award.

The Judges
    -JungleCruiseFan
    -MainStreetJake
    -TrevorD
    -DustySage
    -Nautilus
    -Flickering Bulb
    -Datameister
    To judge or recommend a category to judge, please PM me.

The Teams

Tomorrowland
    -RegionsBeyond
    -ni_teach
    -TaylorDisney
    -Icepenguin77
    -Omega, Sub_Voyage Fan
    -Scary Scott
    Hollywoodland
    Fire up those imaginations and get out your pencils because this competition has officially begun!

only on MICECHAT!

With Thanks To:
    Howard Johnson Anaheim Resort & DustySage

*Prize may be removed or substituted at any time and for any reason by the organizers of this competition, Dustysage, or the Howard Johnson. Should the prize be unavailable, an attempt will be made for a substitute prize. Exact prize details may not be as listed and any error or omission can be corrected at any time, including after contest end. You are solely responsible for all transportation, tickets, and other expenses should you win the stay at the Howard Johnson Anaheim Resort. There is no cost to enter this competition. It is no one's intention that the Grand Prize will be cancelled, but every contest needs a little legal mumbo jumbo.

**Awarding method is at the sole discretion of the judging team and is subject to change or cancellation at any time, for any reason.
    Last edited by Trevor; 05-09-2010 at 12:23 AM.

• Banned User

Re: Armchair Imagineering II

a month and a half already? oh, you must have meant wonderland time.

im gonna compete this time, and my entry will be as good as my south park mountain

• Looking for America

Yes
    California Screamin' Ride Count: 111

• =)

Most excellent! Team Datameister is definitely onboard. Well, unless I really have no interest in the prompt whatsoever, which I doubt will be the case. But if that happens, I'd certainly be interested in judging.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ckelef1 View Post
    a month and a half already? oh, you must have meant wonderland time.

im gonna compete this time, and my entry will be as good as my south park mountain
    Aha my appologies. For a few reasons, it had to be moved earlier than originally posted, However, there will most likely not be another after this one till August. It is my hope that those who were just part of the original will still be interested in this contest.

• Banned User

I'm in, unless I have no interest in the prompt.

I'd love to join! Albeit I am horrible at art so you can't expect pictures. Sorry. And a lot of people hate all of my armchair imagineering so I probably won't win. But I'll join anyway!
    The five worst crimes in the world, in no particular order, are genocide, rape, murder, torture, and flash photography on Space Mountain.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    Aha my appologies. For a few reasons, it had to be moved earlier than originally posted, However, there will most likely not be another after this one till August. It is my hope that those who were just part of the original will still be interested in this contest.
    august? isnt that a little far off? if the main problem is your schedule, then im sure someone else might want to take it over for the next round.
    and btw, are we seriously talking about round 3 12 minutes after the announcement of round 2!?!?!
    that must be a new micechat record

• It all started on a train

Hemet, Ca (70 miles from Disneyland, just close enough to bike there ;) )

I'm not sure how I'll do, but I'll give it a try....

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." - Alfred Pennyworth - Batman Begins

• Looking for America

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I'd love to join! Albeit I am horrible at art so you can't expect pictures. Sorry. And a lot of people hate all of my armchair imagineering so I probably won't win. But I'll join anyway!
    Hey I had a pretty bada** visuals for round 1 but I then realized that my idea would be an absolute downfall for Disneyland, so don't you worry, I'm sure you'll have a good idea .
    California Screamin' Ride Count: 111

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I shall be there, most likely, and look forward to it.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Tech in Training

I'm in. I need a creative outlet because school definitely isn't one for me.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thermo648 View Post
    I'm in. I need a creative outlet because school definitely isn't one for me.
    School hinders creativity by standardizing and leveling a field which could be used to broaden and intregue the mind. Meanwhile, I makes creativity fun!

On a related note, I was creative once. The fire didn't get to big though.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    School hinders creativity by standardizing and leveling a field which could be used to broaden and intregue the mind. Meanwhile, I makes creativity fun!
    say what?

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Most excellent! Team Datameister is definitely onboard. Well, unless I really have no interest in the prompt whatsoever, which I doubt will be the case. But if that happens, I'd certainly be interested in judging.
    Same here!

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)