Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Future Indy Castmember

Armchair Imagineering: The Fantasyland Theater New Concept

Latley there has been a lot of worry and anger on how the Theater is now being treated. As much as I love going to PFF on most visits, I feel that it's time to have the theater doing what it was built to hold: Live Shows.

But for my idea, it will make the theater somewhat unique.

The Stage will have a giant curtain covering it and to the right of it, there would be the castle turret still there from the Snow White Musical. Here is where we would first see the host. He/she is Fantasylands Storyteller. They will tell the audience what story would be shown. This is where it gets interesting. Instead of having one musical playing, there would be 4 musicals playing! 2 showtimes for each. And it would be random to encourage repeat visits to the theater. Below is a sample of the schedule.

11:00AM- Peter Pan
    12:00PM- Cinderella
    1:00 PM- Mr. Toad
    2:00PM- Hunchback
    4:30PM- Cinderella
    5:30PM- Mr. Toad
    6:30PM- Peter Pan
    7:30PM- Hunchback

Where the Princess Meet and Greet is at right now it can be converted into a covered waiting area filled with the history of the Fantasyland Theater as well as facts of the 4 musicals.

Then when HalloweenTime and the Holidays roll around, there can be a Halloween themed musica and a holiday one playing.

For Halloween it can be a musical revolving the tale of Ichabob Crane and Sleepy Hollow and for the Holidays it can be the Christmas Carol.

What do you think?

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• PERRY SCORES!!!!

Re: Armchair Imagineering: The Fantasyland Theater New Concept

Im not kidding dude, i was just thinking of a new idea for the Fantasyland Theater the other day.I like your ideas!!!

We are the corps The Cavaliers,
    There is no corps we fear,
    We march along and sing this song,
    For we know that we never never will go wrong, so
    March onto victory Cavaliers,
    As we march on through the years,
    We march along and sing this song,
    For we are The Cavaliers.

1...2...3... SPLOOIEEEE

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by padgerfan View Post
    Im not kidding dude, i was just thinking of a new idea for the Fantasyland Theater the other day.I like your ideas!!!
    Thanks! I haven't gotten around of a possible relocation of the princess meet and greet. But having them roam around like they used to do is part of the idea. Theres still going to be a spot for them somehwhere in FL but it won't be on the scale as the ones being done in WDW.

Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum

The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.

• Minion

That's fine, but I would still like to see a Mary Poppins Theater done up with the full Disney treatment, and rotating between Mary Poppins, Peter Pan and Bedknobs and Broomsticks live shows, since all 3 of those are set in London. I can already picture the entire thing in my head from beginning to end.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    That's fine, but I would still like to see a Mary Poppins Theater done up with the full Disney treatment, and rotating between Mary Poppins, Peter Pan and Bedknobs and Broomsticks live shows, since all 3 of those are set in London. I can already picture the entire thing in my head from beginning to end.
    Sure. The rotation of the stories will give Disney the opportunity to do shows on the movies that they haven't represented in the parks yet or not as much like Mary Poppins.

Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum

• Banned User

Rotation would be nice. Great idea. I would like to see Beauty and the Beast and Mary Poppins implemented at one point.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Rotation would be nice. Great idea. I would like to see Beauty and the Beast and Mary Poppins implemented at one point.
    And would also give them a chance to re-do some of the shows they've done before. Like Hunchback and Snow White.

Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum

• Addicted to Disney

I like your ideas, but I see 1 problem. How would they be able to have 4 full sets in the stage. They would have to be very minimal sets for it to work. I would love to see rotating shows, but 2 is the most I thing they could do.

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyManiac View Post
    I like your ideas, but I see 1 problem. How would they be able to have 4 full sets in the stage. They would have to be very minimal sets for it to work. I would love to see rotating shows, but 2 is the most I thing they could do.
    Thank you.
    I'm glad someone else noted this.
    Sets are incredibly important to a good show, and to the telling of a story.
    Having a street show is one thing, but having a stage show is something completely different.
    Hunchback can't take place in London, just like Marry Poppins and Peter pan can't take place in Paris.
    And none of those can take place in any sort of forest.
    And if you're suggesting a set change between shows... how?

Unless all of the sets are cheap cut-outs of trees with awful back drops.. I really can't see this working at all.
    Good idea in theory... it would allow tons of variation...
    But Broadway musicals usually take several days (if not a week) between musical shifts. At the San Diego Civic Center, a gap between 2 Broadway shows will be an entire week to tear down the old set and set up the new one.

Just thought of something else...
    Having 4 completely different shows would either require
    a) 4 different casts
    or b) 1 incredibly talented cast that was able to memorize and perform 4 shows simultaneously without the shows overlapping and interfering with their performance (never heard of anyone that talented before).
    Let's say they do do 4 casts, wow that's a lot of money.

Having multiple shows is a good idea for people that visit the park over and over.

but

You have to remember that the average guest... the one that spends the most money come once a year and having multiple shows will confuse them.

Imagine if a guest wants to see two shows during the day. One at 11am and one at 2pm.

So your saying the guest would have to get to the show by 1045 to get a seat then leave at 1130. Then come back at 145 for the 2pm show. That is a lot of back and forth. Especially when you think how far the Fantasyland Theater is from everything else in the park.

My Idea is...
    1) Expand Toontown with the Toontown Movie Theater and have Phillharmagic play there.
    2) Take some of WDW's plans and make a Beauty and The Beast attraction/restaurant and other princess themed area.

If another attraction is not possible in that space, re creating the Beauty and The Beast restarant/Meet and Greet area from WDW plans is a great idea. There is no castle dining venue in Disneyland and this would make up for that and add a magical dining location much needed in the park.
    Visually it would match the tone and feel of all of Fantasyland and just plain makes sense in that space. Another empty theater venue is not necessary, and for those of us that don't have little girls, The PFF is nothing but a glorified excuse for hawking more product. Surely it was only meant as a placeholder until someone could come up with a better idea.

Come to think of it, I would just combo a Beauty and the Beast restaurant with a Beauty and the Beast ride... maybe one that uses the Tokyo Hunny Hunt technology.

and then you will have a concept similiar to Pirates...ride/restaurant combo

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
    Come to think of it, I would just combo a Beauty and the Beast restaurant with a Beauty and the Beast ride... maybe one that uses the Tokyo Hunny Hunt technology.

and then you will have a concept similiar to Pirates...ride/restaurant combo
    I like this.

I like the idea TFE, and have thought about what they could do with that area myself as well.
    I don't think it'd be possible to have 4 separate broadway quality plays going on in a day like that, unless they find a way to totally revamp the place to make it work (somehow).
    I would love to see a different style of the theater, maybe enclose it, get rid of the tarp covering, and concrete seating. The current design makes it look like a dry shamu stadium.

Bringing in a halloween play would be legit, and I think that if the new villains show does well on the cruise ships, I think they could incorporate a tweaked version of that.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    I like this.

I like the idea TFE, and have thought about what they could do with that area myself as well.
    I don't think it'd be possible to have 4 separate broadway quality plays going on in a day like that, unless they find a way to totally revamp the place to make it work (somehow).
    I would love to see a different style of the theater, maybe enclose it, get rid of the tarp covering, and concrete seating. The current design makes it look like a dry shamu stadium.

Bringing in a halloween play would be legit, and I think that if the new villains show does well on the cruise ships, I think they could incorporate a tweaked version of that.
    My plans would include revamping and redoing the theater. Only then would 4 different shows with their own sets can play in one day.

Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    My plans would include revamping and redoing the theater. Only then would 4 different shows with their own sets can play in one day.

Did you even read my post?

How is it physically possible to not only store 4 sets, but switch them in the 10-20 minute time slot you've left open between shows.
    Changing a detailed set takes at least several days (refer to my above post).

I generally LOVE the Fantasyland Forest deal WDW is getting, but we unfortunately don't have room for such a thing.
    I think a Beauty and the Beast dark ride and dining experience would be nice, but I think Disneyland isn't big enough for a single movie to take up that much real estate.
    A new sit-down dining experience would be nice, as would a new dark ride.
    But both themed after BatB? I think one of them should definitely be themed after it, but maybe a "Be Our Guest" dining experience with a Hercules dark ride or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast