Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

does having an AP take away from the magic of disneyland?

does having an AP take away from the magic of disneyland? let me explain by what i mean by this...

before i had my AP, i always saw disneyland as this fanciful place, sort of like a dream where if you were lucky enough to get to experience it, you would find yourself having the time of your life in a fantasy unlike anything else you could experience. it just had a true magic to it and sense of wonder and lore that you couldnt quite grasp with your mind because like many (out of towners), disneyland was an experience that happened so rarely in your life that after you experienced it it left you with memories unlike any others and a feeling in your stomach of longing to relive that magic and have "that" feeling again of being there just from thinking about it.

i had faint memories of the park from when i was very young and made my very first trip to disneyland. and that, along with being raised with disney movies as well planted the seed inside me that grew to a strong love for disney. another trip ten years later rekindled the flame which led to me researching disneyland online and finding out about hidden mickeys which in turn led to me searching for all the disneyland secrets/trivia i could get my hand on. and because of all this, the feelings i described in the last paragraph were exactly the way i felt about the park up until i had got my AP.

when i finally got my first AP about a year ago and made my first trip, it was unreal. i was so excited and just overcome with joy to be experiencing this amazing park that i had spent so much time reading about and so much time longing to be at. the magic was so real and i was in awe as everywhere i looked i could see the amount of detail and thought put into every aspect of the park (i must have overlooked buzz lightyear in my observations ). the way all the stories i grew up with came alive before my eyes, the way the dramatic and distinctive theming of each land transported me into a new environment, the way all the new but somewhat familiar sights brought up distant memories of when i was a child were being relived all added together and completely blew my mind... needless to say i had the time of my life at disneyland and it was a completely perfect day and ill never forget my first AP trip.

and as time passed i made as many trips as often as i could inbetween school and work and being able to afford the expenses of the trips. over the last year id say i that made almost 30 trips to disneyland. and now that my AP has just expired i look back on it and relive every moment and all the highlights of my last year experiencing the park. and ive come to realise that the magic that was there on my first trip is no longer there.

now ive thought long and hard about how i could say this without everyone jumping all over me haha but i feel that after a year of experiencing everything that beloved park has to offer numerous times over the course of 25+ trips, that the magic just isnt the same as it once was. dont get me wrong i LOVE the place and always will and enjoy it just as much as i ever did when i first got my AP. and i still feel there is magic there, but not the same kind of magic. this is what i mean by APs taking away the magic from disneyland...

the wonder that i once felt for the park, wondering how a place like that was even possible, is no longer there due to so many trips and is replaced instead with a knowledge of how everything works and how the park is run. the sense of new things to experience waiting around every corner was replaced with a feeling of familiarity and the element of surprise is now gone. the magic i once felt when first experiencing the park is know replaced by the sense of others experiencing the magic around me, seeing the park through their eyes, feeling the same feelings i once felt before my days as an AP.

i still love the park like no other place and it will always be a magical place for sure. disneyland brings the most joy out of any place ive experienced and i wouldnt hesitate for a second to renew my AP if i had the chance. but there is still a side of me that regrets ever having an AP... ill never again be able to feel the sensations and emotions i felt experiencing the magic of disneyland for the first time, and that is a fond memory ill always hold close to my heart...

so what do you, my fellow micechatters, both long time AP holders and non APs, think about APs taking away the magic of disneyland?

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: does having an AP take away from the magic of disneyland?

In one word... No.

• hi!

you can check out how people feel on this subject on a recent thread: http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...t-magical.html

the general consensus agrees.. while it's a different kind of feeling, the magic is still there..
    -plagued

• When Will It Return?

I don't think so.

Does having season tickets diminish the experience of going to professional sports games?

Does going to the movies weekly diminish the experience of watching a movie in a theatre?

Does having season tickets to the theatre diminish the experience of watching a stage musical?

Does having season tickets to Ski Resorts diminish the experience of skiing/snowboarding down a mountain?

I think it all depends on each individual's perspective, and how exactly familiarity breeding contempt individually affects each individual.

The worst that happens in any of these above senarios is that because more time is spent in the experience, more knowledge about the experience is gained. Is that a bad thing? Again, it depends on the individual. Some people become bored with sports, others become extremely knowledgeable fans who are no less enthusiastic at their 100th game than they were at their first. Some people become bored with Disneyland, while others post on MiceChat everyday.

I think if "magic" to you means "I don't know how this is happening but it is, and it's awesome to see this impossible thing happen" then a Disneyland AP is probably not for you. However, if you're the type who can still greatly enjoy watching a magician perform even though you know exactly how he does his tricks, then you're a perfect candidate for a Disneyland AP.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Oh yay, it's another one of these threads. :P
    The five worst crimes in the world, in no particular order, are genocide, rape, murder, torture, and flash photography on Space Mountain.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I will admit that when I was younger, there was more of a "fantasy" effect that everything there had on me, but now I am 19, and I go A LOT, and I still get that feeling. Not all the time, but it def hasn't gone away. It is a place that for me, I can go & get stuff off my mind and remember being a little kid. I think that's the point of the park, IMO.

• Here's my 2 cents

passholder since '88, and in a word...nope
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Banned User

To me, not at all.

• Future Indy Castmember

I guess it depends on how you see it. For me, it doesn't take away the magic and i've been an AP for 5 years.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Rock Star Minion

It would for me. That's one reason why I don't have one.

You're asking the wrong crowd, though, if you wanted diverse opinions.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

No.

• Banned User

I feel like being creative with my answer so here goes:

no, nein, non,nee,not, negatory, nill, nix, el no o, opposite of yes, antithesis of yes, the alternative of yes, the 360 degree opposite of yes, triple negative, no way jose.

everytime I go the magic is still there. Disneyland is and always be a magical place. everytime I go through the turnstyles (and it does not matter if I have an ap, park hopper, one day one park ticket one day two park ticket, special event ticket, etc) I feel the same that I did the first time I went to disneyland: excited, happy, on cloud nine, like a kid again.

• Dream in wonderful color!

not at all.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Seasick

I only go annually, to one Disney park or another, but I did do a nine day visit a few years back using an annual pass.

There's a certain excitement, a certain thrill when you return after a long absence. When going every day or every week, it can certainly feel a little less special, no question. That doesn't necesscarily mean it becomes boring or dull, but at least a little less magical? For me, sure, but only a little.

But as someone said, this isn't the place to get a balanced view. I've heard from plenty of people who went for a week and were done with Disneyland after two or three days.

A frequent visitor also has the luxury of discovering the different ways Disneyland is magic. When you're not pressured to fit everything into a short vacation visit, you can stop and smell the roses, appreciate the details, soak up the atmosphere without running from ride to ride, etc.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Nope.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast