Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    754

    Cool Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    I have always wondered how Disney comes up with the prices for the APís. I am no math wiz yet I tried add it up on paper and failed miserably, so if anyone knows. Please post!!

  2. #2

    • Squaw NO gettum firewood!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,069

    Re: Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    There's a pricing committee that works on it. They have hundreds of seriously confusing factors they work into it - everything from simple stuff like 'how many days use till it's paid for itself' or 'what's it cost to park 6 times' through more complex stuff like the prices of other local attractions. It's not just other theme parks, but even things like Lakers season tickets or a season for the LA Phil. It also includes crazy things like area rent and gas and god-knows-what. Trust me - it's nothing you can figure out on your own in a day or two.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney


  3. #3

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    754

    Re: Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    There's a pricing committee that works on it. They have hundreds of seriously confusing factors they work into it - everything from simple stuff like 'how many days use till it's paid for itself' or 'what's it cost to park 6 times' through more complex stuff like the prices of other local attractions. It's not just other theme parks, but even things like Lakers season tickets or a season for the LA Phil. It also includes crazy things like area rent and gas and god-knows-what. Trust me - it's nothing you can figure out on your own in a day or two.


    Yeah I know.. I tried!! I could not get the price that the premium pass is set at right now.. I was always getting in the thousands .. it didnít make sense..but thank you for your post.. I am not soo confused anymore!

  4. #4

    •   
    • Seasick
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,196

    Re: Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    I have no idea what the official formula is, but I suspect it's priced with the same theory that park hoppers appear to be priced by: figure out how many days the average consumer will pay to access Disneyland, and give them the rest of the year (or their vacation) for free.

    How many days does the average tourist need to spend at Disneyland? I'd say three days, and so we get five day park hoppers for the price of three. Disney wins because the consumer comes back and spends more on food souvenirs, and the consumer wins by getting a deal.

    It's the same reason extra days at Walt Disney World are essentially given for free once you've paid for six or seven days. The average visitor will spend six days to see everything WDW has to offer, but give them free days and they'll come back, and spend.

    Annual passes certainly seem to be ridiculously cheap on the surface, but it makes sense. The average local (not talking about the obsessive fans who post on Disney related internet boards) might very well only visit Disneyland one day a year, or for a weekend. Give them a cheap socal pass and they'll come more often, spending more money.

    Hardcore fans might come once a month or more, so the same theory applies to a premium annual pass.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

  5. #5

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,215

    Re: Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    Quote Originally Posted by love♥dca View Post
    I have always wondered how Disney comes up with the prices for the APís. I am no math wiz yet I tried add it up on paper and failed miserably, so if anyone knows. Please post!!
    Since they don't change all that often, they take the easy way: current price times some factor. Round to nearest 9. Done. Twiddle thumbs for 10 months. Repeat.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  6. #6

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,952

    Re: Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    Dart board

  7. #7

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,147

    Re: Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    First, they chisel a wide variety of prices on small stones, one price per stone, and put them in a big, spinning wheel. Next, they get out an Ouija board, and ask how many times they should turn the handle on the wheel. When that is done, they close the door, spin it around and around, until all the rocks stop moving.

    Then they light three black candles, and a blindfolded Imagineer (who must be the first born of a woman with green eyes) reaches in and picks a rock at random. Whatever number is chiseled on the chosen rock, they multiply by 300 percent and then add tax.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

  8. #8

    •   
    • Seasick
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,196

    Re: Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    Bob Iger browses the classifieds, and finds a nice vacation home on some private island somewhere.

    He divides the price of the vacation home/island by a million, and there you have it.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    754

    Re: Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I have no idea what the official formula is, but I suspect it's priced with the same theory that park hoppers appear to be priced by: figure out how many days the average consumer will pay to access Disneyland, and give them the rest of the year (or their vacation) for free.

    How many days does the average tourist need to spend at Disneyland? I'd say three days, and so we get five day park hoppers for the price of three. Disney wins because the consumer comes back and spends more on food souvenirs, and the consumer wins by getting a deal.

    It's the same reason extra days at Walt Disney World are essentially given for free once you've paid for six or seven days. The average visitor will spend six days to see everything WDW has to offer, but give them free days and they'll come back, and spend.

    Annual passes certainly seem to be ridiculously cheap on the surface, but it makes sense. The average local (not talking about the obsessive fans who post on Disney related internet boards) might very well only visit Disneyland one day a year, or for a weekend. Give them a cheap socal pass and they'll come more often, spending more money.

    Hardcore fans might come once a month or more, so the same theory applies to a premium annual pass.

    Umm I actually that may not be true for all pass holders, the part about ďGive them a cheap socal pass and they'll come more often, spending more money.Ē

    I have Premium, and I spend close to if not $200 almost every time I go to Disneyland.. and I donít go twice a month, I got 9 times a month..now I am sure that not everyone w/AP goes that much or has that kind of time on there hands, but I am sure most PAP holderís visit the park more then twice a month.

  10. #10

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,732

    Re: Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    Quote Originally Posted by love♥dca View Post
    I am no math wiz yet I tried add it up on paper and failed miserably, so if anyone knows. Please post!!
    Prices rarely are calculated from a base. You normally calculate what the minimums you need for your business, etc... but prices are 'what the market will bear' and rarely have a direct correlation to actual costs.

    Most businesses charge 'what they think the customer will be willing to pay' and try to ensure that price x expected volumes is above the minimums they need to make to sustain the profit level they want.

    Prices are about target revenue... not cost.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  11. #11

    • watch what happens
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    no where in particular
    Posts
    113

    Re: Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    The Mouse has a taste for expensive cheese.. it only makes sense!!

  12. #12

    •   
    • Seasick
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,196

    Re: Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    Quote Originally Posted by love♥dca View Post
    Umm I actually that may not be true for all pass holders, the part about ďGive them a cheap socal pass and they'll come more often, spending more money.Ē


    Of course not for all, but on average I'm sure it's true. I don't think Disney would push annual passes as hard as they do if the average user didn't spend at least a little bit of money on each visit. If a guest comes back just once because of the pass, and only buys a coke and a churro, it's still money in Disney's pockets that wouldn't be there otherwise

    Quote Originally Posted by love♥dca View Post
    I have Premium, and I spend close to if not $200 almost every time I go to Disneyland.. and I donít go twice a month, I got 9 times a month..now I am sure that not everyone w/AP goes that much or has that kind of time on there hands, but I am sure most PAP holderís visit the park more then twice a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by love♥dca View Post
    My point (using hypothetical numbers only) is that without an annual pass, a hardcore fan such as yourself might only be able to afford to, or only be willing to pay to, go once or twice a month. Disney sells you a relatively cheap annual pass because they know if you come more often, you'll spend money in the parks you wouldn't otherwise. It's win-win.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    754

    Re: Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

    Of course not for all, but on average I'm sure it's true. I don't think Disney would push annual passes as hard as they do if the average user didn't spend at least a little bit of money on each visit. If a guest comes back just once because of the pass, and only buys a coke and a churro, it's still money in Disney's pockets that wouldn't be there otherwise

    [COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue][COLOR=#000000]

    My point (using hypothetical numbers only) is that without an annual pass, a hardcore fan such as yourself might only be able to afford to, or only be willing to pay to, go once or twice a month. Disney sells you a relatively cheap annual pass because they know if you come more often, you'll spend money in the parks you wouldn't otherwise. It's win-win.


    well what you don't know is.. even when i didnt have my pass, i was still spending the same amount. i got my pass cuase i figured that it just made sense since i go so much..having the free parking and discounts is a bonus--and it does helps to save $2 dollars here and there.

  14. #14

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    754

    Re: Does anybody know how Disney comes up with the prices on the APís?

    but i do see your point. just know that

Similar Threads

  1. Disney Parking Prices increased this week
    By sir clinksalot in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 09:40 AM
  2. [Question] Any ideas when Disney ticket prices will go up? Any warning?
    By fluffatu in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
  3. Disney to raise prices for second time this year- Orlando Sentinel- 8/4/06
    By TheDisneyInquisitor in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 10:54 AM
  4. Will rising gas prices hurt Disney? - CNNMoney 5/8/06
    By cellarhound in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 02:51 PM
  5. Research conducted for Disney prices - News.gov.hk 7/6/05
    By Bass Shakers in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 04:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •