Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Who are you again?

The 'New' Dolls at Small World

this may be 'old news' to some people, but to me Old News is good News (confusing?)
    I was recently on Yesterland and saw the Disney Character dolls in IASW, which triggered a reminder to me and well...this is the reminder

At the end of July and the begining of Augest I'm going to the land down under for an big group of people called People to People, and I remembered that at the first meeting they had they said, in 1956 president Ewisenhower created to group to help spread world peace, he created this in a meeting with some other very important people, one of these people was Walt Disney, after the meeting Walt got the idea for It's a Small World for the 1964 worlds Fair, and it ended up at Disneyland, but, with the addition of Disney Chatacters to the ride, it just defeats the original purpose of the ride: that world peace can be achieved with children, but with characters, to me it just seems like, 'Hey kiddies! we got Mickey and Stich and our Characters in It's a small world! go find them!'

confusing, right?

who thinks there should be a petition to bring back the original, and take out the huge America display? (I just dont like it)
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: The 'New' Dolls at Small World

And I was so missing the thousand threads about this. Thanks for bringing it back!
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Lol
    Yaye!

• Merry 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjack View Post
    this may be 'old news' to some people, but to me Old News is good News (confusing?)
    I was recently on Yesterland and saw the Disney Character dolls in IASW, which triggered a reminder to me and well...this is the reminder

At the end of July and the begining of Augest I'm going to the land down under for an big group of people called People to People, and I remembered that at the first meeting they had they said, in 1956 president Ewisenhower created to group to help spread world peace, he created this in a meeting with some other very important people, one of these people was Walt Disney, after the meeting Walt got the idea for It's a Small World for the 1964 worlds Fair, and it ended up at Disneyland, but, with the addition of Disney Chatacters to the ride, it just defeats the original purpose of the ride: that world peace can be achieved with children, but with characters, to me it just seems like, 'Hey kiddies! we got Mickey and Stich and our Characters in It's a small world! go find them!'

confusing, right?
    At that meeting did they actually say that the characters defeated the original purpose of the ride?
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Minion

As far as I know, Small World was created at the request of a sponsor (I thought it was UNICEF, Wikipedia says it was part of Pepsi's pavillion) for the '64/'65 World's Fair. I remember reading in Disney News magazine that it was done very last-minute compared to the other World's Fair attractions they created.

So I don't know whether or not Walt came up with Small World because of that meeting, but he was always very interested in world peace. On the opening day telecast, they released doves for the opening of Tomorrowland, representing the hope for peace in the future.

I believe the new dolls were used to sell the (long overdue, presumably costly) overhaul to the executives, basically saying, "if you give us this funding, you get a shiny new plush advertisement!"

In and of themselves, the character dolls are cute, but they distract and detract from the rest of the ride. My idea is to relocate them to displays in a revamped Small World Toy Shop, sort of like a post-show. That way, people who like them can still see them, and they'll encourage kids to go in and buy toys, which should make the execs happy.

The America room is cheaped out and completely out of touch with Mary Blair's distinctive style. It looks more like Kuzco's Doodles from the Emperor's New School to me. If they must have an America room, I would have it redone to fit better with the rest of the ride.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Minion

So let me get this straight the original dolls that are very sterotypical and all look exactly alike with some different color tones were ment to reduce the hatred in the world and bring about world peace? Hmmmm I actually reallly like the disney characters and felt that they were done well to the rides look and feel. IMO

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    The America room is cheaped out and completely out of touch with Mary Blair's distinctive style. It looks more like Kuzco's Doodles from the Emperor's New School to me. If they must have an America room, I would have it redone to fit better with the rest of the ride.
    Oh, but didn't you know? The America room is Mary Blair's style! How quickly the Park-going public forgets that Tony fortuitously found a genuine never-before-seen Mary Blair piece at Comic Con, depicting an American West design -- which confirmed that Kim's already-completed design for the America room looked just like Mary's style.

Amazing how those brilliant minds all design alike, eh?

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    So let me get this straight the original dolls that are very sterotypical and all look exactly alike with some different color tones were ment to reduce the hatred in the world and bring about world peace?
    I doubt Disney had any illusions about a mere attraction at the World's Fair having the ability to bring about world peace - that'd be a pretty lofty goal. But the idea of the attraction was clearly to encourage awareness that at the end of the day, we're all just human beings who live together on one little planet.

As for my views on the refurb...I've stated them before, and they're not particularly strong, and I don't really want to get into a debate about the issue, so...have fun.

• Who are you again?

oh god.....what have I created...
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjack View Post
    oh god.....what have I created...
    Find yourself a piece of authentic, genuine, never-before-seen Mary Blair art that looks just like something you designed, and you can create anything you want!

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

What's is done is done.

Timekeeper

• Vroom, vroom!

YOU CREATED A MONSTER!!!!
    seriously, They should out the disney charicters from the ride
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

This just in:

<says in a small voice 'I kinda like the new dolls'>

Just to add my two and a half cents worth, the Disney movies are known all around the world. Anything that can bring people together and make them happy is good!

And now, back to our original discussion....

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    Disney movies are known all around the world. Anything that can bring people together and make them happy is good!
    Tell that to the tourists at Hong Kong Disneyland.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Tell that to the tourists at Hong Kong Disneyland.
    I'd love to! Just find a way to get me there!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast