Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The Disneyland Story - We were going to get Alien Encounter?!

There was a Disneyland special in 1990 that talked about future plans. They mentioned Indiana Jones (1991), The muppets show (1991), The Little Mermaid (1993), Alien Encounter (1994), Dick Tracy Show (1996), Baby Hermon's ride in what would become ToonTown, and Hollywoodland.

It's interesting to see how all of these things played out or played into what would be a new park, but damn - I wish we could have gotten Alien Encounter.... :-/

Here is the video: YouTube - The Disneyland Story (5/5)

And here is the first video of the five incase you wanted to watch the whole thing (pretty awesome): YouTube - The Disneyland Story (1/5)

On a side note - if anyone knows of anymore videos online like this please reply and add some links! Thanks!
    Last edited by DizMagic; 03-20-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: video embed was acting funky.

• The Study of Wumbo

Re: The Disneyland Story - We were going to get Alien Encounter?!

Alien Encounter would have been part of Tomorrowland 2055, right? That was supposed to be in the new Tomorrowland. And I think Light Magic played in there somehow...

Disney in the 90s... gotta love it.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Hahahaha I love just how wildly inaccurate it was. Not a single one was correct. I don't get it either, if it aired in 1990's, isn't this while ToonTown was in construction, where Hollywoodland was thought to be constructed? Also notice the lack of mention of a second park.

This just goes to show you how much DLP tanking and Frank Wells' death de-railed things.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Hahahaha I love just how wildly inaccurate it was. Not a single one was correct. I don't get it either, if it aired in 1990's, isn't this while ToonTown was in construction, where Hollywoodland was thought to be constructed? Also notice the lack of mention of a second park.

This just goes to show you how much DLP tanking and Frank Wells' death de-railed things.
    Yeah, as far as timing goes they were way off... But most of these things did actually make it into the Disneyland Resort one way or another except for Alien Encounter and the Dick Tracy show. Maybe there's still hope for Alien Encounter? Don't really care much for the Dick Tracy thing.

The Dick Tracy ride made it in the park just got a retheme to Buzz.

Not getting Alien Encounter in Tomorrowland was a blessing in disguise. We already have aliens in TL, and fish and cars and Microsoft.

Tomorrowland should be about the future.

Quote Originally Posted by DizMagic View Post
    Yeah, as far as timing goes they were way off... But most of these things did actually make it into the Disneyland Resort one way or another except for Alien Encounter and the Dick Tracy show. Maybe there's still hope for Alien Encounter? Don't really care much for the Dick Tracy thing.
    First off, Alien Encounter was slated for a big re-do of Tomorrowland in 1994, which never came to fruition. (again, this is DLP's fault) Instead, the idea was recycled into WDW's already-budgeted Tomorrowland re-do, which was quickly despised by parents and their kids everywhere. It was considered far too edgy and scary despite having "Terror" in its name and warning signs. However, older guests really seemed to dig it, but they obviously aren't within Disney World's demographic. The complaints became far too much for Disney and as soon as they thought they found a suitable "replacement" (Stitch), they made the switch. The hilarious irony was that because of the dark segments of the attraction, kids still get scared, parents still dislike it and nobody really likes it period because it's basically an extremely dumbed-down Alien Encounter. Honestly, AE would have done better at Disneyland since unlike the tourist-catering Disney World, there is some room for edge and that kind of consumer does happen upon the park frequently. Swarms of teens would've instantly fallen in love with the attraction, but thanks to Paul Pressler and bad timing, it's a restaurant. To answer you question: there is no hope for Alien Encounter. However, there is hope for Stitch's Great Escape, but I'll pass, thank you. Let the people have their pizza instead.

As for Dick Tracy: if IIRC, the Imagineers really wanted to make this attraction, but Dick Tracy was too much of a bomb to warrant it. It was supposed to be a technological leap in theme park rides. They had scale-mock ups and a ride vehicle and everything, but it got trashed the second the box office receipts were handed in. Not too worry, the technology eventually saw use in two attractions: Indiana Jones Adventure (EMVs) and Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters (Interactivity).
    Last edited by goldenstate5; 03-20-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Not getting Alien Encounter in Tomorrowland was a blessing in disguise. We already have aliens in TL, and fish and cars and Microsoft.

So you're predicting we won't see/meet/discover aliens in the future?

I wouldn't mind it in TL, but most of these attractions in the movie actually made it to DCA anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post

...okay, what about the future do you want? You want us to return to such exciting attractions as The Bathroom of Tomorrow? Then go to Innoventions.

What a generic theme nazi comment.

• Dream in wonderful color!

I'm glad we didn't get it.. did you see what happened to the AE in Florida?
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

First off, Alien Encounter was slated for a big re-do of Tomorrowland in 1994, which never came to fruition. (again, this is DLP's fault) Instead, the idea was recycled into WDW's already-budgeted Tomorrowland re-do, which was quickly despised by parents and their kids everywhere. It was considered far too edgy and scary despite having "Terror" in its name and warning signs. However, older guests really seemed to dig it, but they obviously aren't within Disney World's demographic. The complaints became far too much for Disney and as soon as they thought they found a suitable "replacement" (Stitch), they made the switch. The hilarious irony was that because of the dark segments of the attractions, kids still get scared, parents still dislike it and nobody really likes it period because it's basically an extremely dumbed-down Alien Encounter. Honestly, AE would have done better at Disneyland since unlike the tourist-catering Disney World, there is some room for edge and that kind of consumer does happen upon the park frequently. Swarms of teens would've instantly fallen in love with the attraction, but thanks to Paul Pressler and bad timing, it's a restaurant. To answer you question: there is no hope for Alien Encounter. However, there is hope for Stitch's Great Escape, but I'll pass, thank you. Let the people have their pizza instead.

As for Dick Tracy: if IIRC, the Imagineers really wanted to make this attraction, but Dick Tracy was too much of a bomb to warrant it. It was supposed to be a technological leap in theme park rides. They had scale-mock ups and a ride vehicle and everything, but it got trashed the second the box office receipts were handed in. Not too worry, the technology eventually saw use in two attractions: Indiana Jones Adventure (EMVs) and Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters (Interactivity).
    Nice info there.. Thanks! And I totally agree that DL has room for some edge. I think they need to bring this edge back especially after looking at the promo ride commercials for BTMRR and Space Mountain in this "3 Old Disneyland commercials" thread.

Haha, I was watching the beginning of the special. I'm not sure it was made directly by Disney: it makes a lot of use of the score from "Back to the Future", right down to the famous theme being heard.

Quote Originally Posted by DizMagic View Post
    So you're predicting we won't see/meet/discover aliens in the future?
    Sure, but they'll either be way ahead of us or way behind us and certainly won't resemble little green men fighting Zorg.

...okay, what about the future do you want? You want us to return to such exciting attractions as The Bathroom of Tomorrow? Then go to Innoventions.

What a generic theme nazi comment.
    You didn't read very carefully, I mentioned Microsoft. And, seriously, use your imagination and you won't have to resort to belittling comments.

No, I'm seriously asking: if space and aliens isn't what you want for Tomorrowland, then what do you want to see? I think you're actual want is to be rid of the "abhorrent toons", correct?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast