• Addicted to Disney

Cars Land Route 66 Ride

I practically came up with this like 5 minutes ago, so it's still in its VERY rough stages, but here is my idea: I was thinking about how Cars Land really doesn't fit in with the California theme at all, so I thought of an idea to connect the theme to it better. This would go on the Flo's Drive in Diner area. It would be a multi-story showbuilding (2 above ground, one underground.) The facade would display a "Radiator Springs Museum" that would "Showcase the Beauty and Wonders of our Town." The queue would wrap through the museum, with lots of interesting facts about Route 66 along the way. You would then board a ride vehicle(no idea what it would look like.) and you would be whisked off onto your journey into Route 66 history. It would start in the 1920s when Route 66 was started. They would tell about the original route of Route 66. I forget where it started but of course it ended in California. It would then go through a scene where people are migrating along Route 66 during the Dust Bowl. A lot of "Dirt" would be blowing in your face. A narrator would tell about how tough these times were and how many of those people migrated to California. It would then have a scene during WW2 and people are going on Route 66 to California to work on the many facilities they had there for WW2. The next scene would show how Route 66 aged and became replaced by the Interstate. The ending scene would show how Route 66's legacy lives on and all that stuff. One problem is the boredom factor. Pretty much ALL of California history is boring to people and is not what people want to do on their trip to a theme park. I think that is the reason why Imagineers went with all the attractions that LOOSELY fit the California theme.

Ooohhhhhhhhhh! I just came up with a better way to implement this! It would be placed in a more subtle way but would still show why Cars Land is in a California-themed park. They would have Flo's Diner built (themed to being a drive-in movie theater, of course.) The movie that would be showing while people are dining is a movie about Route 66 and how it ended in California. To make it more than just a movie they could have a few animatronics in the show and some live actors. Next to the dining area, there would be another area for people who aren't eating to watch. What do you think?

• Banned User

Re: Cars Land Route 66 Ride

Forgive me for being straight-forward, but this idea lacks excitement, adventure or anything else to make in interesting. This does not belong in a theme park but a California History museum.

• Addicted to Disney

I knew you were coming Ice! That's the problem with DCA. For a ride to truly connect with the California theme it's going to be boring (most of the time.) Like I said in my other post, I think that is why the Imagineers went with a more abstract version of California(The Little Mermaid, Crap Land, exscuse me Cars Land.)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyManiac View Post
    I knew you were coming Ice! That's the problem with DCA. For a ride to truly connect with the California theme it's going to be boring (most of the time.) Like I said in my other post, I think that is why the Imagineers went with a more abstract version of California(The Little Mermaid, Crap Land, exscuse me Cars Land.)
    Then continue with the abstract version that the Imagineers have started and don't put in a boring and out of theme attraction that will close in 5 years.

• Banned User

A ride about California does not have to be boring! That is a flat out lame excuse. DCA is not a museum so do not make museum rides. A mine train themed to the gold rush. A Trolley dark ride that goes winds through the streets of San Fran. An Earthquake simulator type experience. A ride about Native American legends. God, there is so much excitement in California's history that you obviously look over in your ideas.

• Senior Minion

^ There's a difference between critiquing a creative idea, and kicking it in the groin.

The difference is not what is said, but the words that are chosen to say it.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ^ There's a difference between critiquing a creative idea, and kicking it in the groin.

The difference is not what is said, but the words that are chosen to say it.

But he doesn't get it. Me and several other members have told him before and he continues to post ideas that are not exciting. I have given criticism before, and he doesn't take it.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    But he doesn't get it. Me and several other members have told him before and he continues to post ideas that are not exciting. I have given criticism before, and he doesn't take it.
    All of which is off the point of my post.

It's not the criticism, it's the word choice and the 'tude that I'm objecting to.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Ok, not to be a corporate "add characters to rides" guy (I personally go for more creative rides that create characters, and not bring in characters), but this actually could tie into Carsland, by utilizing the idea of this ride, with characters from the movie to tell it.

Edit: and a side note: why be so harsh? I can understand posting your opinion on it, but it's just a idea to toss around. Some people may seem boring with the ride/show/restaurant idea they present, but it doesn't mean it's not a bad idea. Find a way to critique it, but not in a way that comes across as "No, this is boring, get a better idea", instead, offer a better way of it to potentially work.

• keh!

what?! no, California can be very exciting. you just have to expand your imagination to come up with something great and not settle on boring exhibits. there are tons of great things that can be done to DCA. Grizzly River Run isn't a museum, you just have to have a great imagination.

• Armchair Imagineer

I practically came up with this like 5 minutes ago
    I think this is the crux of the problem right here...

The next time you have an idea, let it mature for at least 5 days, preferably 5 weeks, get some details down, hopefully a rendering or two, and THEN post it. People here spend MONTHS on their attraction concepts before they post them in many cases.

And to those who are saying the response is too harsh, let's keep in mind that this poster has posted no fewer than 27 (I counted) of these half-baked ideas, piggybacks flagrantly off of other people's threads, and has ignored any advice that's any more subtle than what ICe101 said.

Like I said on one of his previous threads:

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    It's a question of respect for your readers--if you create a thread, you want people who took the time to click on your thread to read something thoughtful and original. If not, there's a litterbox.
    Honestly, it's threads like these that give Armchair Imagineering a bad name. When I first joined MiceChat I read several "Idea" threads like this until I just skipped reading anything marked "Idea" altogether. Eventually I found out what really creative concepts can get posted here, that I had been skipping over because I was so disillusioned by stuff like this.

I forget where it started but of course it ended in California.
    It's in the lyrics to the song!!
    "It winds from Chicago to L.A./More than two thousand miles all the way."

Really, if you haven't even wikipedia'd basic facts about your attraction topic, it isn't ready to post yet.

One problem is the boredom factor.
    Really, if you think your OWN attraction concept is boring, it isn't ready to post yet.

Ooohhhhhhhhhh! I just came up with a better way to implement this!
    Really, if you come up with changes to your attraction while you're typing, it isn't ready to post yet.

(And if something does come to mind, edit your previous words and incorporate it into something coherent.)

To make it more than just a movie they could have a few animatronics in the show and some live actors.
    Really, if you change your ride system halfway through your OP, it isn't ready to post yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Find a way to critique it, but not in a way that comes across as "No, this is boring, get a better idea", instead, offer a better way of it to potentially work.
    Well, the OP himself hasn't put in that much thought into the idea, so why should we? But, in the spirit of constructive criticism:

DisneyManiac, before you post another thread, please read the following website in its entirety:

ThemedAttraction.com

Try to make an attraction going through every step that they recommend, and fine-tune it. If you are really interested in design, it will teach you a lot.
    Last edited by AGD; 03-20-2010 at 08:49 PM.
    My Armchair Imagineering threads:

Collaborations:

• =)

Hi folks.

One of the great things about forums like MiceChat is that we can post ideas and get input on them from other people. But for that process to work smoothly, two things need to happen.

* Those posting the ideas should respect their fellow posters by taking time to put forth their best work. Different people have different strengths, and that's fine - but do your best to come up with something interesting and original. Everyone has more fun that way.
    * Those posting their comments on the ideas should respect their fellow posters by keeping their comments constructive and welcoming. By all means, say what's on your mind, but say it in a way that will be encouraging, not discouraging. Again, everyone has more fun that way.

Please keep this in mind in this thread and all future "armchair Imagineering" threads. Consider this a friendly warning.

• Minion

Am I the only one that remembers that the main point of the cars movie was to celebrate the long lost and forgotten towns that made Route 66 so special. I feel that the movie was a celebration of Route 66 and the land will be too. Sure its pixar and full of movie tie ins but I am really excited for it and it fits right in to DCA. Too Disneymaniac I like that you are constantly thinking about the park with the thought of how to improve and/or add to it and you have a great enthusiasm for that just do yourself a favor and flesh those ideas out a bit refine them and really put some time in ( I know I always perfer the idea posts where they have really gone all out and added visuals of some sort as I am a little more visual myself) I think everyone will be much more accepting of your ideas at that point! But please don't stop dreaming!