Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Why do you prefer Disneyland over Disneyworld...?

Quote Originally Posted by karamie View Post
    Ahh it's painful to read people talk so negatively about Disney World. I guess I just fail to see how it is so far inferior, and especially how the people who have never been can judge it inadequate?

I've been 3 times and as I mentioned above, there are certainly highlights and great attractions, but I don't get the feeling that they "spared no expense".

Wettham1783 above said it perfectly. WDW is supposed to be Disneyland on steroids but it's far from it. With only 12 more attractions than Disneyland resort (mostly shows and walkthroughs), there just isn't enough for me to make a visit until they add a whole lot more.

I actually spaced my three visits far enough apart so that they had nearly a decade to add new things. As it turns out, even though new theme parks and resorts opened, smaller touches and attractions became missing. And the theme parks that opened up were not even completed.

Now, they removed my favorite thing: Adventurer's Club and new attractions are just clones from Disneyland.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I'veI prefer Disneyland because even though it will never be completed, it feels the MOST complete of them all.
    This is how I felt as well when I visited WDW. When you look at each park at WDW individually, all of them feel incomplete. For example, MK's Fantasyland only has about half the content of DL's version and POTC is obviously not as complete as the DL original. Epcot, DHS and DAK all come across to me as 'Lands' that were instead developed as parks of their own and that concept of being singularly themed feels limiting to me as far as completeness.

DL's genius is that it offers many different themes for you to experience, all within the berm of a single park. You can go straight from the wild west to the future by way of fantasy and have completly different feelings all in the same visit. DCA also has this multiple experiences within one park design to it and after the improvement work is complete on it, I think it has the potential to be better than any individual WDW park as well.
    Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
    1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
    1990, 1992, 1993
    2006, 2007, 2009
    2010, 2011, 2014

Walt Disney World
    2000, 2001

• Rrrrreecite!

I love the grandeur of WDW specifically Cinderella's castle. The place is huge but thank goodness we had extra magic hours. We were there for 12 hours in may of 2009. I did every ride 2-3 times and found it to be a beautiful park. However. When I came back to LA and went to DL... I remembered WDW as being soulless. DL has this spirit than can not be replicated. DL feels like home and WDW is your uncle's house.

i have no preference. they're both disney theme parks. i like disney theme parks.

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfanatic View Post
    I am so sorry to hear about what happened a year ago, yet so happy to learn how Disneyland made your life so much better. And I really have to say, that if there was a winner to this thread, I'd pick you.
    Thank you. I really like threads like this, because I'm sure a lot of other people have personal reasons why they may like a park because of memories and the opportunities Disneyland or Walt Disney World presents, like spending time with family, which is my reason. I think that's something else great about Disney parks, many of us grow up with them, and we all have different reasons to like them, because there's so much variety in the parks, and it's really great for the whole family.

I've been to both resorts. Twice I've gone to WDW for free and while I did enjoy myself, I was never impressed or floored.

Disneyland is the first of course, and the one that everyone will compare the others to. There's just no helping it. It's the one that started it all and the only one Walt stepped foot in and molded for 11 years.

Disney World was definitely part of his dream and it's with that idea that EVERYTHING that follows should be equal or BETTER than the first. Walt wasn't happy with the small size of Disneyland and of the neighboring motels that moved in because he was a dreamer. He envisioned so much more for the park. Disney World was his answer but... I don't think it would have lived up to his dream.

WDW is bigger, but definitely not FILLED with as much imagination per square inch as it should be, if we're using Disneyland as a guide. And each park that came afterwards contained even fewer attractions.. but oh yes they were huge.

I prefer Disneyland because even though it will never be completed, it feels the MOST complete of them all. The parks in WDW have their highlights (Epcot) but it definitely feels as if the imagination had run out. MGM Studios (DHS) was supposed to be one single pavilion in EPCOT and then expanded into a theme park. Based on the layout and design, they ran out of ideas to flesh it out. Animal Kingdom is missing some lands that were promised. Yes, it's a gorgeous park filled with lush vegetation, but there needs to be more if my feet are going to ache the way it does after a day here.

DCA was built with the same lack of imaginative thought. Had this park been built in Florida, it would have fit right in. But because it's at Disneyland, it gets $1 billion dollars for improvements.

THAT'S the difference for me. There's passion. I don't feel that the company is passionate enough about WDW for me to feel the same way. I SOO SO SO SO SO want Florida resort to be as amazing as it deserves to be. But it isn't.

At disneyland, I feel as if I'm in control of my time and can do whatever I want, whenever I want.

In Florida, Disney is in complete control. They tell me which park to go to early and which park to stay at late. And since every other resort guest follows the same routine, it's not magical anymore is it? We're herded like cows from location to location.

The entire batch of resort guests are trying to see the very same Fireworks show you are because it's only offered tonight. The same bunch will join you tomorrow to try and watch Fantasmic! too. There is no deciding your own schedule.

The shops at the parks close early. Wanted to buy something? Too bad. Go to Downtown Disney. It only takes 25 minutes to get there on the shuttle. But you'll have to wait 20 minutes for the next shuttle.

Want to do something late at night? You can't. Pleasure Island is gone.

WDW is ideal if you have the time to stay and the money to spend. I can imagine that in that scenario, I would absolutely love it. But it's still lacking a certain Disney touch that is present in Disneyland.
    Interesting reasons. I never thought about the time issue, because I'm just used to Disneyland having pretty good hours. And I agree with the passion thing. Disneyland may not be the same as if Walt was running it, but there's still no denying there's more passion for the park here than for Walt Disney World. I remembered that when they recently completely redid the small river at the entrance to Frontierland, after it had just been redone, in order to fix it, while the Yeti still remains broken or in "B"-mode in Animal Kingdom.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    Walt Disney World is for tourists. Disneyland is for purists.
    Choose your own adventure.
    LOL, this is so true!
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Future Animator

I think it's unfair for someone to say that Disney World lacks the charm that Disneyland has. Yes, Disneyland has been personally touched by Walt, but that doesn't mean WDW doesn't have unique, Disney experiences to back it up.

Disneyland has not gone untouched by next-gen Disney... hence the street party. It's not a Disney-purist experience anymore.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• It all started on a train

Hemet, Ca (70 miles from Disneyland, just close enough to bike there ;) )

DL is close(er) to home.

I haven't been to WDW yet. Look forward to going in the sometime future.

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." - Alfred Pennyworth - Batman Begins

• Who are you again?

as to not help bigen the flame incase there will be a flame war, I will say NOTHING!

oh shoot! I said something!
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Well, Disney World's huge layout lacks the charm of Disneyland's. Everything in Disneyland is quaint and intricately detailed. Disney World's huge layout makes everything much harder to maintain and keep clean.

Also, Disneyland is the only place in the world that Walt Disney personally touched and created. Disneyland seems to be the "original", while Disney World seems to be the sequel that isn't as good, but you don't hate it.
    agreed.
    It's the original (as long as we can keep clones out).
    There's also (as mentioned) the charm of the park. Size, I think has a lot to do with it.
    And most of all, Walt personally had a hard (and worked on) the majority of the rides at the park. It's an honor to ride the attractions that Walt personally touched and over saw. To be able to ride it and see his vision and understand why he built this particular park for us. He could of just built something in his backyard and we would have never been able to experience it.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Once upon a dream

I've been to both resorts. Twice I've gone to WDW for free and while I did enjoy myself, I was never impressed or floored.

Disneyland is the first of course, and the one that everyone will compare the others to. There's just no helping it. It's the one that started it all and the only one Walt stepped foot in and molded for 11 years.

Disney World was definitely part of his dream and it's with that idea that EVERYTHING that follows should be equal or BETTER than the first. Walt wasn't happy with the small size of Disneyland and of the neighboring motels that moved in because he was a dreamer. He envisioned so much more for the park. Disney World was his answer but... I don't think it would have lived up to his dream.

WDW is bigger, but definitely not FILLED with as much imagination per square inch as it should be, if we're using Disneyland as a guide. And each park that came afterwards contained even fewer attractions.. but oh yes they were huge.

I prefer Disneyland because even though it will never be completed, it feels the MOST complete of them all. The parks in WDW have their highlights (Epcot) but it definitely feels as if the imagination had run out. MGM Studios (DHS) was supposed to be one single pavilion in EPCOT and then expanded into a theme park. Based on the layout and design, they ran out of ideas to flesh it out. Animal Kingdom is missing some lands that were promised. Yes, it's a gorgeous park filled with lush vegetation, but there needs to be more if my feet are going to ache the way it does after a day here.

DCA was built with the same lack of imaginative thought. Had this park been built in Florida, it would have fit right in. But because it's at Disneyland, it gets $1 billion dollars for improvements.

THAT'S the difference for me. There's passion. I don't feel that the company is passionate enough about WDW for me to feel the same way. I SOO SO SO SO SO want Florida resort to be as amazing as it deserves to be. But it isn't.

At disneyland, I feel as if I'm in control of my time and can do whatever I want, whenever I want.

In Florida, Disney is in complete control. They tell me which park to go to early and which park to stay at late. And since every other resort guest follows the same routine, it's not magical anymore is it? We're herded like cows from location to location.

The entire batch of resort guests are trying to see the very same Fireworks show you are because it's only offered tonight. The same bunch will join you tomorrow to try and watch Fantasmic! too. There is no deciding your own schedule.

The shops at the parks close early. Wanted to buy something? Too bad. Go to Downtown Disney. It only takes 25 minutes to get there on the shuttle. But you'll have to wait 20 minutes for the next shuttle.

Want to do something late at night? You can't. Pleasure Island is gone.

WDW is ideal if you have the time to stay and the money to spend. I can imagine that in that scenario, I would absolutely love it. But it's still lacking a certain Disney touch that is present in Disneyland.
    Did not know that

Yes. WDW you need to take a bus or tram to get to the next park. While at Disneyland the future awesomeness of DCA is meerly steps away and if a 3rd Child is in the future for Disneyland it will just be rigth across the street.

~babs

Thank you Solitary!

• My turn

Aside from the fact I've always lived closer to DL and that it has become an escapism for me...

I've been to WDW three times and the MK only twice so I don't remember a lot. Transportation to the parks was one thing, since you have to take a bus to the parks, and then the monorail or ferry to MK and Epcot, so forgeting something or dropping off items was a journey. But one thing I do remember greatly, the weather. Humidity and I do not go well together because I sweat a lot when it's really hot. At least DL is mostly dry heat, whereas humidity makes me sticky and gross. Traveling from one attraction to the other was basically running into stores to escape the heat.

Don't get me wrong, I had fun and if I had more money I'd take more trips. But I hate that both of those things, especially weather, end up being near the most memorable moments of my trips, none of which I have to think about at DL.

• Banned User

I came to this thread late, but already I see that some people are rehashing things they've said a million times before (NOT naming any names, mind you!). I guess that's sort of appropriate for the umpteen millionth "DLR vs. WDW" thread...

I guess I'm lucky because I love both resorts about equally, so I'll just leave it at that. Looking forward to my next trip at one of these fun Disney resorts...

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by lou_mom View Post
    f Last time I went to WDW was in 1998 and I enjoyed it but it was like a vacation, DL is like going home..
    Funny, I've never lived in California... but I have to agree. Going to DL isn't like taking a vacation. It's more like going home, to a place I loved to be when I was young. Yeah, that's it.

I remember thinking that at Disneyland there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore. When I went to Disneyworld, it seemed like there was a main path that the crowd herded through. This wrecked the illusion for me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast