Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Why do you prefer Disneyland over Disneyworld...?

Quote Originally Posted by JediPrincess View Post
    I remember thinking that at Disneyland there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore. When I went to Disneyworld, it seemed like there was a main path that the crowd herded through. This wrecked the illusion for me.

Epcot is where you'll find the most charm. That truly is a wonderful park.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I came to this thread late, but already I see that some people are rehashing things they've said a million times before (NOT naming any names, mind you!). I guess that's sort of appropriate for the umpteen millionth "DLR vs. WDW" thread...

I guess I'm lucky because I love both resorts about equally, so I'll just leave it at that. Looking forward to my next trip at one of these fun Disney resorts...

These threads happen all the time. You can either rehash what you believe for the newbies or stay out of it completely.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Epcot is where you'll find the most charm. That truly is a wonderful park.
    Disagree! Animal Kingdom has so much to explore and discover. So many interesting details and hidden paths. Though I've been there numerous times I just discovered a section I've entirely missed!

I do love Epcot though. At least the World Showcase part of it.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by karamie View Post
    Disagree! Animal Kingdom has so much to explore and discover. So many interesting details and hidden paths. Though I've been there numerous times I just discovered a section I've entirely missed!

I do love Epcot though. At least the World Showcase part of it.

Hehe, well... exploration and landscaping does not equate to charm for me. Epcot's World Showcase is charming and romantic. Animal Kingdom is still, for me, a few fries short of a happy meal. It has the potential to be the ultimate Disney theme park but somewhere along the line they lost track of what they want to do with this park. It's just not there yet.

• Dept. 41 and Club 55

It's like asking someone whether they prefer New Coke, or Classic Coke:

In this analogy we can compare Disneyland to the original Coke formula, and Walt Disney World to new Coke. Some people prefer the original, viewing it as a classic; a tradition, something that was perfected over time, something that will last forever. And some people prefer the New, with its bright and shiny can, the ultra-modern logo that speaks to a new generation of fans.

And still other people view the New as a pretender to the throne; a cheap marketing gimmick created merely as a people trap run by a mouse, to compete against the other options in the market.

So it's all down to your personal taste. Do you like established classics, or cheap gimmicks? As before, choose your own adventure.

Animal Kingdom was an alright park but by 4 o'clock I was tired of being in Adventureland and wanted something different. That was on day one of a six day stay and I never made it back. However World Showcase drew me in for two and a half days of my stay.
    Matthew

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by wettham1783 View Post
    Animal Kingdom was an alright park but by 4 o'clock I was tired of being in Adventureland and wanted something different. That was on day one of a six day stay and I never made it back. However World Showcase drew me in for two and a half days of my stay.

That's strange, that's exactly what happened to us during our honeymoon. We stayed at AK for half a day, and disliked its layout and attractions. We left and never came back. But Epcot... wooo-hoo. If there was any park I was completely amazed at when I was a kid, that was it. I just wish FutureWorld had kept up with the times and stayed the way it was, instead of turning into a thrill ride zone / museum of sorts. It was the park where my wife and I spent most of our time, and yes, in my mind, it's the only park that comes close to Disneyland (even in its current state, which, IMHO, is inferior to what it was in 1980-something (or at least, my memories about how it looked like back then).

Horizons was completely out of this world. I'll never understand why they decided to get rid of it. Same thing for the original Journey into Imagination. Oh, well, at least we still have The Universe of Energy. Just get rid of Ellen Degeneres and that other guy, and it'll be perfect again.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    That's strange, that's exactly what happened to us during our honeymoon. We stayed at AK for half a day, and disliked its layout and attractions. We left and never came back. But Epcot... wooo-hoo. If there was any park I was completely amazed at when I was a kid, that was it. I just wish FutureWorld had kept up with the times and stayed the way it was, instead of turning into a thrill ride zone / museum of sorts. It was the park where my wife and I spent most of our time, and yes, in my mind, it's the only park that comes close to Disneyland (even in its current state, which, IMHO, is inferior to what it was in 1980-something (or at least, my memories about how it looked like back then).

Horizons was completely out of this world. I'll never understand why they decided to get rid of it. Same thing for the original Journey into Imagination. Oh, well, at least we still have The Universe of Energy. Just get rid of Ellen Degeneres and that other guy, and it'll be perfect again.

Yup. Re: the first paragraph, it's all about scale. These parks are HUGE. And no, there is no luxury of a Railroad that surrounds the entire park. Animal Kingdom for its size and vision does not have enough content. The fact that it closes around 5pm doesn't help (once again, Disney controls your schedule, forcing you to park hop to something else).

Re: second paragraph. THE OTHER GUY? That's Bill Nye the science guy! He's rad!!! But hehe no biggie. I know that attraction is horribly outdated like much of Future World sadly. But I wouldn't ask that they remove it until they bring back the pavillion that was removed: Wonders of Life. I mean seriously... that's an ENTIRE land that just closed shop. What's up with that?? The drops the attraction count significantly.

And I think that brings me round circle to what this thread is about: Preference. I think the biggest reason why I prefer Disneyland is NOT only location but the slate of attractions. I enjoy going on the attractions at Disneyland many many times over but the majority of things at Walt Disney World... I see it once, I don't wanna see it for a LONG time. For every Expedition Everest, there's like 3 or 4 Tiki Room New Management.

• Hooterville, USA

Nothing beats the original.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

I've never been to WDW, I've looked at google earth and the place looks massive! I like the coziness of Disneyland. I'd like to go to WDW so I can see the Animal section of the park and of course MK, but the golf course and water parks are of no interest to me at all. Mostly just Animal Kingdom. Anyway, I think I'd end up still preferring DL.
    Yaye!

Our family is obssessed with Disneyland. we've never even had to think twice about which park we wanted to go to, we've never wanted to venture to Disney world. we go every other year, just went in '09 and already planning our 2011 trip.. i'm actually jealous right now, cuz my sister is there as i'm writing this, waiting in line at space mountain. she decided to cheat and make a 2nd trip this year w/ her boyfriend and his daughter. it's their first time and they're hooked. Can't wait to go back, just thinking about it brings a smile to my face.

I know it sounds weak, but even outside of the location thing, Disneyland is more convenient. You can park hop in 5 minutes. Downtown Disney and all the Disney hotels, plus many other hotels, are in walking distance of both parks. There are no dining plans, and you don't have to make reservations for restaurants 6 months out. Some table service locations don't even need reservations. There is less planning and less traveling once you're there. So even if you live far away, it is more convenient. Also, it is more intimate/quaint.

Walt Disney World, on the other hand, is a much more grand experience. You are entirely immersed in Disney, and there are almost no "outside world" intrusions. Whereas Disneyland, especially Main Street, has a small, quaint, homey feel to it, like Walt's little park, Disney World feels larger than life.

To Sum Up:
    Disneyland = Fun day in the park
    Disney World = Getting away and escaping into complete Disney immersion.

• ...is busy, please hold.

Think of DL as cookie dough, now think of WDW as the same dough yet out stretched to the point it starts to break in the middle. I prefer DL cookies thnx you!

(And on the subject of Flame War kindling: Even with the resorts, Orlando is still a very very ugly city!)
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I have been going quite regularly to Disneyland since 1962. It is always a "trip" because I have never lived close by.

I have gone to Disneyworld once, around 1983, and stayed in the Contemporary Resort - which I loved since the Monorail came right into the lobby.

Disneyworld was impressive. The size amazed me. Big Thunder, for instance, had its own desert out front. After we wound through the desert, we waited probably 20 minutes inside the ride car for it to fill enough to start. Epcot was interesting and I didn't spend nearly enough time in World Showcase. That was about all the sites when I went. Now it is much bigger and more to do. I want to go back and visit again, but it isn't a top priority.

Disneyland would be my choice. I know the Park well, but never tired of it. We are now taking our grandkids and they are always asking when they are going back.

Disneyland produces a feeling unlike any I experience on any other vacation. I've gone on cruises, wine tours, limo trips, etc. But, when I walk under the entry arch and enter Main Street, I feel 'settled'. I'm content to be there. I can ride all the rides, or 3 of them. It doesn't matter.

I can't imagine feeling that way anywhere else on vacation.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dead_Mau5 View Post
    Think of DL as cookie dough, now think of WDW as the same dough yet out stretched to the point it starts to break in the middle. I prefer DL cookies thnx you!

And also... some of the chocolate chips fell off!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast