• Wishing upon a star....

Parking? How early do we need to get to the park?

We are making that long drive to California again in May and will be in the parks on Sunday May 9th and Monday May 10th. We usually stay at a hotel with an ART stop or the Fairfield Inn across from the parks.

This time we are staying in Newport Coast and will be driving to the parks each morning.

I am kind of freaked out about the parking situation. We only have two days at the parks with my niece and I don't want to spend time on parking, when she has not been to the parks in years.

What time does parking open and when should I get there in relation to when the parks open?

If the park opens at 8, is it safe to assume we will get Mickey & Friends without problems if we are there by 7:30?

Re: Parking? How early do we need to get to the park?

Anytime before opening will be a-OK. In fact, even if you went an hour after opening you'd still be fine.

The main parking problems usually happen in the afternoon.

I was at the park this past Sunday and arrived at Mickey and Friends around 7:20 am (8 am opening) and was directed to the Pinocchio lot next to Mickey and Friends. I drove south from I-5 and took the Ball Road overpass that leads directly to Mickey and Friends. there was only one car in front of me when I drove up to the booth.

Not to mention you're heading down in May, which is typically a less busier time.

The parking gripes come from APers here who come to the park around 3 PM to 8 PM and can't find a spot, not tourists who come super early.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Anytime before opening will be a-OK. In fact, even if you went an hour after opening you'd still be fine.

The main parking problems usually happen in the afternoon.

yeah before 8 am is good besides you can get in right when the gates open the park may/maynot be crowded,but eiter way in the morning right when it opens is a good time to be there.... you have the whole day to experience disneyland with your niece!

the plaza does a nice character breakfast. so you might want to check that one out--at least they were doing it like a few months ago.either way ..might want to check it out

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I live right on the border between Corona del Mar and Newport Coast. On the weekends, Pumbaa is usually open between 9-9:30. That is your best parking option coming from where you will be. If Pumbaa is open I usually can get from my front door to inside of the park in about 35 minutes.

During the weekdays, Pumbaa is usually closed so head straight for the structure. If you want to go early on the weekend before 9am then you might as well go straight to the structure too. However, this easily adds an additional 15-20 minutes of time and a mile or two on top of what I mentioned above.

And then again you will be in Newport Coast. Why would you even want to go to Disneyland?

• Wishing upon a star....

Newport Coast is beautiful and we will be staying at a very nice property but my husband and 14 year old niece insist on a few Disney days. We will have pool and beach days and park days, so that everyone wins.

• Banned User

get there around 7:40 and you'll be parked right in front of the trams.

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

3 am!!!
    Yaye!

• Please pull the yellowtab

There's no need to be there super early before the park and/or parking structure opens. I frequently go to DLR on the weekends and it's safe to arrive at the main parking structure just as the park opens. So say for example Disneyland opens at 8 AM, feel free to lumber on in from 8AM - 9:30ish. You'll find that the line to enter the parking structure is non-existent. With all lanes open you will probably have to wait at most 5 minutes to reach the toll both. Locals don't flood the parks until around 11:30 AM so you don't have to feel rushed. I hope your trip is an awesome one!

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.