Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Namaste and Good Luck

Re: Is DLR still hurting for lack of cast members?

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    I'm going to HAVE to quit soon enough. I've got enough room to "call in" twice more before next JUNE.... it's just not enough. You can't expect people to be able to show up consistently 6 days a week, 60 hours a week and only let them call in 5 times a year, it's just not possible!
    I second that!!
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Justin
    I second that!!
    Well GOD who wants to get termed from Disney of all places? So, I have six months restaurant experience now, I can take this to get a good host position somewhere else,a nd I'll be able to serve. Heck, I could even lie a little and say I have serving experience! :P
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Just Me

I'm going to HAVE to quit soon enough. I've got enough room to "call in" twice more before next JUNE.... it's just not enough. You can't expect people to be able to show up consistently 6 days a week, 60 hours a week and only let them call in 5 times a year, it's just not possible!
    This is the policy of the company I used to work for. Imagine if you had a sick kid at home, you would have to call out which would affect your attendance. My disciplinary steps were all because of The Boy getting sick.

As for being patient with the cms that are there, I am one of those people where as long as I see you are working, and doind the best you can do I will have all the patience in the world. If you are standing there, goofing off, talking to other co-workers, and IGNORE me, then I tend to get very loud and snippy.

• Disneyland Cast Member

As a heads up for any store ops Cast Members reading this topic, there is a first vote scheduled for members of the UFCW on Friday, Nov. 4th at Hollywood and Dine. the location will be open from 8am to 9pm. If this does happen make your voice heard. Tell all of the other Cast in your area to vote.
    Here is the notice posted at http://www.ufcw324.org.

Disney's California Adventure / World Of Disney Negotiations
    October 29, 2005
    Negotiations between the UFCW, Teamsters, SEIU and Bakers Unions and Disney continued through the week. Some substantial progress was made at the beginning of the week but as the week continued, optimism faded as negotiations appeared to stall.

Your Union negotiating committee however is not giving up hope. We have agreed to meet with Disney negotiators again next week on Tuesday, November 1 and Wednesday, November 2. If we are successful in concluding this process, we will schedule all day voting for Friday November 4 at the park. We have tentatively reserved the "Hollywood and Dine" location and, if we have an offer to present, Union staff and your negotiating committee will be available at this location on November 4 from 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. to present the offer and provide you the opportunity to vote.

If voting is scheduled for November 4, notification will be through word of mouth, this web site, notices posted in the park and if possible, telephonic notification. Please check this web site next week to remain updated.

Once again, we would like to recognize your negotiating committee (Laurinda Fiddler, Coleen Palmer and Kit Wilson from Disneyland and Joyce Dunn, Steve Fiddler and Paul Halicus from DCA / WOD) for their dedication and hard work on your behalf. They have attended all sessions, worked long days and provided valuable input. In addition, Local 324 Union Coordinator, Rocky Pebley and Union Representative, Jamie Sessions have been present at all negotiating sessions and are available if you have any questions as we continue to work through this process.

• Minion

Wow that sounds like allot of complaints, but perhaps one of the reasons is they will only take graduating seniors and above. I will turn 17 this December, but I'm only a junior. I know you have to be only 16 for parades, so I would really like to try out for the next audition.
    Jeff Wayne

• CM for 4 years!

You only have to be 16 to work in Foods, but I guess they've decided that they have enough people now to be picky. 9_9
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Sock Puppet

Hey Melmel,

Did you receive my message to you regarding the Main Street music cd?
    I sent you a private message, along with my email.

• Namaste and Good Luck

They're allowing OverTime up to 12 hours in my shops. They are extending people to mandatory 8 hours. I dropped all but one of my classes this semister because of Disney. What's the one class I kept?...bowling (it's PE credits ) And with me being a lead, I am supposed to ask people to do OT. I don't and people get mad at me for not asking, but at this point I don't care. I have to put my career goals on the back burner for the semister because the are scheduling me 40 hours a week. I'm really bitter about this and my management knows it. Both of my vacations got denied this summer...so I called out for them and management gets on my case because of it. The park is gonna start hurting really soon because after November, a lot of people will be quitting. It's gonna be a rough time for their labor needs.
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by TENORDRUMMER
    I would love to come back and work just part time, but casting will not even lift a finger to work around a person's full time schedule, which to me does not make any sense and then they want you to be fully available during the peak seasons. There has to be some give and take, especially in their current situation.
    This is one of the main reasons I had to leave and I think it is a big problem. You can't expect people to be fully available 24/7. There is a life outside of Disney. I realize it is probably a scheduling nightmare to work with all those people, but people are more willing to be flexible and work with their employer if the employer will admit the value of the employee and their personal life's needs (school, family, illness....)

• Former Disney Cast Member

I can not agree more with what has been said here. It's so hard to not get points. I've worked there for over 6 months now, and if I call in (or clock in ONE MIN late), than I am suspended.
    My points start dropping off in May, so I have to be perfect and not get any points for 7 months (nearly impossible).

I am seriously consider quitting. It's going to be hard to survive for that long (expecially with flu season coming up. I can't afford to get sick).

I love Disney, but this is just to much!!

• Banned User

OK I get calling in and being sick but how hard is it to not be late to work? I'm honestly asking. Is it really hard to get there and punch in on time?

• CM for 4 years!

It is incredibly difficult to arrive on time. You have to park in a separate cast lot, and pray that a shuttle comes promptly. There are often days when a shuttle does not show up for over 15 minutes, and for a cast member who just sat through more traffic than expected (because let's face it, working at DL is equivalent to working at the local video store, except for one glaring difference-- IT IS NOT LOCAL. Many CMs drive upwards of 25 miles to get to work, myself included. Sometimes it's hard to factor in traffic. To ENSURE that I'm on time, I need to leave for work 1 1/2 hours before the start of my shift, which can be incredibly difficult.) can end up being incredibly late by no fault of their own!

Or, let's say you clock in, and have just enough time, in costume, to walk to your location. You workin NoS, and you have to cross Main Street. BUT THE PARADE IS PASSING. It takes you double the time to walk there, and you are marked late for five minutes, in spite of the parade.

For a part time job, it is INCREDIBLY demanding.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

working at DL is equivalent to working at the local video store, except for one glaring difference-- IT IS NOT LOCAL. Many CMs drive upwards of 25 miles to get to work, myself included. Sometimes it's hard to factor in traffic. To ENSURE that I'm on time, I need to leave for work 1 1/2 hours before the start of my shift, which can be incredibly difficult.) can end up being incredibly late by no fault of their own!
    "No fault of their own" you say? Who GOT the job at Disney? You did, no one forced you, no one held a gun to your head.... you decided to drive 25 miles, you filled out the application, you agreed to the job, etc.... Why not work at a local video store if it's the "same thing" as you said?

UGH... that's the biggest annoying complaint I hear from other CM's, is that they live to far and have to deal with traffic (by their OWN choice).
    Last edited by Wesley815; 11-03-2005 at 11:24 AM.
    -Wes

• Never Look Back

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815
    "No fault of their own" you say? Who GOT the job at Disney? You did, no one forced you, no one held a gun to your head.... you decided to drive 25 miles, you filled out the application, you agreed to the job, etc.... Why not work at a local video store if it's the "same thing" as you said?

UGH... that's the biggest annoying complaint I hear from other CM's, is that they live to far and have to deal with traffic (by their OWN choice).
    True, but the Cast shuttle is out of our hands. You can be waiting at the 3rd shuttle stop, and the shuttle comes up completely full. Now you have to wait another unknown length of time until the next one comes along. I live really close to MelMel, and the driving doesn't really bother me. I just get annoyed when they schedule us when we are in class, we can't possibly show up to work if we are having a midterm at the same time. I used to work at Nordstrom and even they were more forgiving with students. They need to realize that most, if not all of their employees are students, and not old retired people looking to dedicate their everyday to the company. It is very difficult to not call out, and it does not look like it will be getting easier. Even if you try to come to work while you are sick to not get attendence points, you can still be sent home by management for attendence points anyways. I really hope I dont have to quit because of this, but things just aren't looking that great.

• Minion

A couple weeks ago, I was standing in the office at my work location and they were saying people that had been termed two months ago, were being called to see if they wanted to come back!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast