Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

Re: Is DLR still hurting for lack of cast members?

I left in july and they called me for 2 months asking me to come back...lol!

• DL Alumni

Red Face Re: Is DLR still hurting for lack of cast members?

Will they call me back? I worked 2000-2001? LOL! How funny would that be?

I live in San Diego now. Its impossible for me to take on a CM job at the parks now. I still miss it, but not the grueling grind of work.

Now sitting outside of the Plaza Inn, watching the Parade go by, having a full plate of pasta with a carrot cake on the side, now THATS heaven. But standing, rolling the bones on Main Streets, under the watchful eyes of over hundreds of people, and the music, the press of the crowd, the endless questions, the 65 minute drive home at midnight...those I couldn't do again.

Upanova

"Who wants cake?!"
    And there's something else they can enjoy too: PINEAPPLE!

• Namaste and Good Luck

I got a letter from the union today. It talks about how the "significant contract modifications your company is seeking will negatively affect every cast member." THEN near the end of the letter they talk about the attendance policy changes:

"As a separate issue, we have been informed of specific changes in the company's presenteeism policy as it applies to "call dependent", "call personal", and "call transportation". We have heard that company representatives have informed cast members that the union agreed to the changes. This is absolutely not accurate. While we asked for some changes in the "call dependent" for sontinuous days, we did not agree to any other changes which the company has decided to roll out.
    We will be informing Disney of our strong objection to the unilateral changes implimented and we are looking into our rights to challenge these modifications."
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    Or, let's say you clock in, and have just enough time, in costume, to walk to your location. You workin NoS, and you have to cross Main Street. BUT THE PARADE IS PASSING. It takes you double the time to walk there, and you are marked late for five minutes, in spite of the parade.
    Why would someone in an NOS costume be crossing Main Street? I remember hearing about Walt being really picky about this kind of thing, so I figured you could get from anywhere to anywhere backstage?

Hmmm, maybe it's time for DL to build a utilidoor system, too.

• Former Disney Cast Member

Rebel Justin, thanx for posting that. That is encouraging to hear.

And MickeyMania, if you hang out in Town Square for a while you will notice all sorts of people in different costumes cross over to the backstage entrance. There is no backstage area that connects the east side and the west side. and it would be sorta cool to have a utilidoor system :-)

• Namaste and Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Why would someone in an NOS costume be crossing Main Street? I remember hearing about Walt being really picky about this kind of thing, so I figured you could get from anywhere to anywhere backstage?

Hmmm, maybe it's time for DL to build a utilidoor system, too.
    There is a way to get to NoS backstage. There is a shuttle that runs from behind TL (at Harbor Point) to TDA (the big yellow building). It takes forever and a day to catch one because only 2 trams run at a time. But the problem with it is that it stops at TDA, so the CM would have to walk behind Toontown , past Circle D and through the backstage area of Critter Country. It is a heck of a lot easier to walk through Main Street, behind City Hall, and past the show buildings for Indiana Jones and Pirates.
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores

• CM for 4 years!

If I wanted to do it the good old-fashioned way, it would take me about 45 minutes to "walk" to my work location! We are permitted to cross Main Street. It's not my fault also that the tram stops running at 7 pm, so if I close, I am not going to be running around alone backstage at night.

And I'm not really complaining about traffic, I'm complaining about after having struggled hard to GET through traffic, when I still show up with plenty of time, to be marked late because no shuttle showed up in a timely manner and caused me to be late even with all the trouble I went through.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Sad Re: Is DLR still hurting for lack of cast members?

Wow this is sad. Disneyland shouldn't be having this much trouble getting CM's. And what is even sadder is that I don't live out there. My dream job would be a CM at Disneyland. I don't care what position or what the working conditions are. It would be just an honor to work at the most magical place on the planet. I love the Disney magic and want so much to help people love it like I do and of course have a good time as well. I thought the world would be overflowing with people like this so that Disney parks would never be in trouble with too few CM's. I am saddened to see that I am wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    If I wanted to do it the good old-fashioned way, it would take me about 45 minutes to "walk" to my work location! We are permitted to cross Main Street. It's not my fault also that the tram stops running at 7 pm, so if I close, I am not going to be running around alone backstage at night.

And I'm not really complaining about traffic, I'm complaining about after having struggled hard to GET through traffic, when I still show up with plenty of time, to be marked late because no shuttle showed up in a timely manner and caused me to be late even with all the trouble I went through.
    I would also point out, that without the tram- no CM in their right mind would walk the road on the east side of the park towards TDA. It's too small, and is only meant for driving.
    To get to the west side of the park, the most unobtrusive way to get there is to cross Main Street at TownSquare, and if you watch- that is what most cast members do. A big part of it is the show, costumes from different lands don't mix, and plus- getting stopped to deal with a guest distraction when you're not on the clock and can potentially make you late can get annoying. I really feel for those CMs in Critter Country, they have the longest haul of all.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Banned User

Angry Re: Is DLR still hurting for lack of cast members?

From my own standpoint as an EX Cast Member, it's Disney's OWN fault for the lack of CMs due to all of their policies that drive CMs away and not to mention all of the stress and drama that goes on while working at the Resort. Do I miss working there? Yes and NO!!! I applied for two years before being hired in and 6.5 years later it has opened my eyes to the harsh realities of being a CM.

I also believe that CMs are being gouged by monthly union dues and the unions should be doing MORE to help poor hard-working CMs. Now, Disney is LOSING high quality CMs and Casting is lousing up on casting proper CMs who turn up as bad apples who tell other longtime CMs how to do THEIR job. I guess the next time I visit the park and see long lines and more guests than CMs, I will know the reason

• Banned User

Angry Re: Is DLR still hurting for lack of cast members?

And I agree with parades, shuttle inefficiency and other conflicts that affect commutes for CMs. WHY SHOULD THEY BE PENALIZED FOR THE CONFLICTS OF OTHERS?????

• Monorail Racer

Considering I may be laid off in the not too distant future from my airline, getting back into the Disney swing of things would be kind of fun. If it wasn't on the other side of the country that is. I spent six years at WDW and wouldn't mind doing it again, but alas I live just a bit too far away these days.

• Cast Member

My first post! Wish it was for something different though.

As a lead in stores at DL, I can tell you that it's mostly TDA/management's fault for what's going on. For allowing the attendance to get out of hand, for relaxing the standards of guest service they were once known for, and for not ensuring they maintain things through fair wages, conditions, and benefits.

I first started 3 years ago and knew a guy who had 70 points. Mind you it takes around 24-30 to get you disciplined/terminated at the resort after subsequent verbal warning, suspension, etc. They were lax then. But the way they are hurting, and how much demand is being placed on the cast members is ridiculous. Last thing you need are less cast members.

It hurts me as a lead. I never know how many cast members I have to work with each day. There are good cast members like myself that go home each day happy when we can help guests with "magic." Helping guests is part of the rewarding thing of what we do. We also go home sad or angry when we are over burdened and can't do our jobs efficiently. When we can't get something to a guest because there are 5 other guests wanting your attention and a busy store in need of items with managers riding you constantly along with your fellow crew that needs you cause they can't figure out something.

We only want to give the best guest service possible even if the majority of cast members (these days) don't understand what guest service really means. Ask a cast member for hours to a particular restaurant or shop. Odds are they don't have their reference guide and just go "I don't know." Call around to another store for a guest if we don't have something in our store. Give a guest the DelivEars number if a guest really wants something and is willing to wait for it to come back in stock and mailed out to them. End things with a "thank you." Simple things that all cast members should know and do, but far too many don't.

I wanted to quit so many times because it seemed like nobody cares. 60k out in the park, nobody cares, just get the store looking full. Why don't you have this item out? Guests asking if we have this or that. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only cast member in my crew that understands what is going on, how to deal with anything. I guess I don't quit because I have to finish college first.

It hurts the company when there's mass defection. It hurts the morale of the cast. The cast isn't blind, they see the writing on the walls. Everyone bailing like DL is a sinking ship. It doesn't provide a positive atmosphere.

The new hires don't know what they are getting into, sadly.

Most importantly, it hurts those of you that don't know what it's like and are just visiting with little care or knowledge of what goes on in the park. You guests demand so much for your 55 dollars and we're expected to give you the best experience possible. You deserve it. But when we are set up to fail or to give you less than the best service possible, you (the guests) are the ones that get hurt the most. You feel ripped off and complain about the ever rising price of merchandise, food, tickets, etc.

I guess DL gets what they pay for. If they hire and pay for bottom of the barrel, that's what they get in return.

I leave this note with the question I remember most when I was first interviewing to work at Disneyland. "Why do you want to work here?"

I answered cheerfully, "I think Disneyland is a fun place to work for."

It's been a long time since I've felt that way.

Sorry for the rant. Bye.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815
    "No fault of their own" you say? Who GOT the job at Disney? You did, no one forced you, no one held a gun to your head.... you decided to drive 25 miles, you filled out the application, you agreed to the job, etc.... Why not work at a local video store if it's the "same thing" as you said?

UGH... that's the biggest annoying complaint I hear from other CM's, is that they live to far and have to deal with traffic (by their OWN choice).
    I don't think it's any employee's fault for having to go through what sounds like an obstacle course just to get to work! I didn't think other company's management is as bad as what I have to deal with at work, but Disneyland's may just edge ours out.

I guess the next time I visit the park and see long lines and more guests than CMs, I will know the reason
    "More guests than CMs?". Uh...shouldn't that be the norm? I hardly expect one-on-one service. It sounds like now it's more like "one cast member assisting 500 guests", or something like that.
    From the problems with transportation, which I guess began when they broke ground for DCA and took away the parking lot, it sounds like they need to install a timeclock at your cast parking facility, and start paying you from when you arrive there. Make THAT the start of your shift and pay you for your shuttling/dressing/walk time. In the meantime, have any of you who drive private cars considered using public transportation? One thing about Disneyland: unlike your local video store or Home Depot, it is a VERY easy place to get to by bus, isn't it? Won't the bus deposit you right where you need to be, or close to it? Do they still have a transportation club that offers incentives for using "alternative modes of transportation"? It sounds like now is the right time for something like that.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast