Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

Re: Is DLR still hurting for lack of cast members?

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen
    In the meantime, have any of you who drive private cars considered using public transportation? One thing about Disneyland: unlike your local video store or Home Depot, it is a VERY easy place to get to by bus, isn't it? Won't the bus deposit you right where you need to be, or close to it? Do they still have a transportation club that offers incentives for using "alternative modes of transportation"? It sounds like now is the right time for something like that.
    Yes it does! BUT...it took me 15 minutes to drive there, 25 with traffic, and the bus took an hour and a half! That's without traffic, and there is no guarantee the freaking bus is even going to show up! I got so many points that way. I would get to the bus stop an hour early and just sit there, which is not very safe at 6AM...and no bus would come. One time I had to stand up the whole way, and then this lady spilled on my costume, and I had to go change, which made me late.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmainstreet
    I would also point out, that without the tram- no CM in their right mind would walk the road on the east side of the park towards TDA. It's too small, and is only meant for driving.
    To get to the west side of the park, the most unobtrusive way to get there is to cross Main Street at TownSquare, and if you watch- that is what most cast members do. A big part of it is the show, costumes from different lands don't mix, and plus- getting stopped to deal with a guest distraction when you're not on the clock and can potentially make you late can get annoying. I really feel for those CMs in Critter Country, they have the longest haul of all.
    Or the ODV people...especially the ones who work in tomorrowland. All the way from costuming to the ODV office (behind the haunted mansion/critter country) then pick up all your stuff and go back to tomorrowland! and if you're ODV and work in toontown or small world mall, you get to walk that long road meant for driving.

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

oops

Wow how harsh is this subject. Umm I thought DIsney does pay you from the time you arrive to TDA till the time you check out of TDA. am i wrong? If they really do pay from when you arrive at that attraction/register than that really does suck sorry guys. But i do think you are still doing a great job! I mean your still keeping up with it. Anyway, i'm sure disney is gonna get a lot more CM's now. They are advertising everywhere and plus, all the high school kids want the part time job offered for the holiday season. Me myself am trying to get hired

• Small Projects Team

What night shift jobs are avaliable (after closing)? They must be a little less stressful since you don't have to deal with guests. I was thinking of applying next summer, before I go to UCIrvine.

• ...lurks...

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    If I wanted to do it the good old-fashioned way, it would take me about 45 minutes to "walk" to my work location! We are permitted to cross Main Street. It's not my fault also that the tram stops running at 7 pm, so if I close, I am not going to be running around alone backstage at night.

And I'm not really complaining about traffic, I'm complaining about after having struggled hard to GET through traffic, when I still show up with plenty of time, to be marked late because no shuttle showed up in a timely manner and caused me to be late even with all the trouble I went through.

I agee with you whole-heartedly! No person can understand until they are in a CM's shoes!!!

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

This just breaks my heart. I hope this is one of the threads that TDA reads and takes note of.

TDA, are you listening? I know some of these people personally, and know how deep their love for Disney is and how hard they strive to create the magic for the guests. I know there are CMs that need to go; I've seen some of them. But there are also hardworking CMs, passionate about their jobs, who need TDA to understand what they really do go through. Strong policies are extremely important, but so is personal understanding. I, too, miss the days of quality service (sadly and sorely lacking from society in general these days), but many of the CMs who've posted above ARE quality. Please don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

I'd love to work at Disney part-time myself, and consider it often. I'd be a great CM. I believe in punctuality and good attendence. But I also believe in mutual understanding, cooperation, and some give-and-take. As much as I'd like to help the park out, the current pay schedule and overly harsh policies just make that impossible.

I understand the predicament that the park, and management, is in; its almost a lose-lose situation for both sides. I wish there was some way to bring the former DLR presidents back just to slap them silly for the mess that they set up and created. We are all paying the price for their arrogance and ineptitude.

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper
    Wow this is sad. Disneyland shouldn't be having this much trouble getting CM's. And what is even sadder is that I don't live out there. My dream job would be a CM at Disneyland. I don't care what position or what the working conditions are. It would be just an honor to work at the most magical place on the planet. I love the Disney magic and want so much to help people love it like I do and of course have a good time as well. I thought the world would be overflowing with people like this so that Disney parks would never be in trouble with too few CM's. I am saddened to see that I am wrong.
    THIS IS WHY I AM HERE. They told me I could hire into DL Attractions like I wanted, I said, ok FINE put me anywhere in the park, I just want to be a part of Disneyland's MAGIC! It was important to me. THere's something magical about making a guests day. Even if I have very little opportunity to do it, when I do, it's such a wonderful feeling!

Disney pays you for your scheduled shift. I'll explain situationally. Let's say that I have a Fantasmic! Balcony shift that starts at 6 pm. I must be AT New Orleans Square, checking in with my lead at 6 pm. We get off on that shift at 0030 (12:30 am), and we get to "walk" at 12:10. Yes, we are paid for 20 minutes of "walking" time, but this doesn't factor in enough time to change clothes, much less for Critter Country people to even GET back to Harbor Pointe (we check in right off Harbor behind Space Mountain)

To take public transportation would take me over 2 hours by bus. By train, it would take about 20 minutes each way, but I can't guarantee that there will be a train home once my shift is over. Plus, the station for both the bus and the train is about 9 miles from my house. I live in Foothill Ranch, which is near Lake Forest, which is in the armpit of Irvine, north of MissioN Viejo.

God, I love my job. I love my coworkers. I love the Blue Bayou. I love the Fantasmic! Balcony. I love New Orleans Square. I love Disneyland. I love Disney.

I don't love everything I have to do just to prove that love and keep my source of income.

It just sucks to be marked late and lose "points" over five stinkin' minutes. At my last job, you could clock in up to six minutes late, and be fine, you just had to clock out 6 minutes late. *nod*
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Disneyland Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815
    "No fault of their own" you say? Who GOT the job at Disney? You did, no one forced you, no one held a gun to your head.... you decided to drive 25 miles, you filled out the application, you agreed to the job, etc.... Why not work at a local video store if it's the "same thing" as you said?

UGH... that's the biggest annoying complaint I hear from other CM's, is that they live to far and have to deal with traffic (by their OWN choice).
    It's true that they long-distance cast members could get a job at a local video store, not be late, and get paid the same. These people do choose to drive the longer distance to Disneyland and accept the same low pay. They are the cast members who really want to be there and not the ones who work there because it is close to them. To punish the most dedicated cast members who put in as much, if not more, effort than the local cast members does seem a bit unfair. With so many variables in play once on property, manaagement really should allow for a short time window to be late, time which should be made up at the end of the shift. No cast members should be punished when they are only late after allowing plenty of time for traffic only to find that the cast shuttles are running slow. If, he is late after a longer period of time, however, when it is obvious that it is not the company's fault in any way, then he/she should earn points.

• :)

that $100 'bonus' for qualified positions is only management positions ...and any1 who finds their job out of a newspaper probably isnt qualified for the management at DLR, their picky :/

Quote Originally Posted by jiminysgurl
    Wow how harsh is this subject. Umm I thought DIsney does pay you from the time you arrive to TDA till the time you check out of TDA. am i wrong? If they really do pay from when you arrive at that attraction/register than that really does suck sorry guys. But i do think you are still doing a great job! I mean your still keeping up with it. Anyway, i'm sure disney is gonna get a lot more CM's now. They are advertising everywhere and plus, all the high school kids want the part time job offered for the holiday season. Me myself am trying to get hired
    Not to be picky, but TDA is mainly for CMs who do 'office work' type stuff, reallyno one else clocks in there. This discussion is basically for those CMs who clock in at Harbor Pointe, which is the vast majority of hourly CMs (DCA has its own checkin gate, and there is Winston gate, I know).

But yeah. You see at Harbor Pointe you are supposed to clockin [I]before[I/] your scheduled start time. That's just to notify that you are on property. Then you still have to make it to your location on time- and yes, parades will conspire against this.
    I'm spoiled because I work on mainstreet (suprise), so basically my work location is like 2 minutes away and half the time I work on the East side of the street, so I don't even need to cross one guest clogged throughfare. But I've also worked in New Orleans Square and Critter Country from time to time- why should they allocated 20 more minutes each way out of their day for doing the same thing in a different area of the park?
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Sad Re: Is DLR still hurting for lack of cast members?

I feel very lucky that I got to be a CM in the good ol' days. I'm sorry to hear how bad it has become. I was one of those CM's that drove down from LA, and I was late a few times. No one seemed to worry that I was 5 minutes late once in a blue moon. I was also willing to extend, ER, or move my shift if they needed. I was feexible with them and they were felxibe with me. It used to be better. I often miss working at Disneyland, but I have to remember that its just not the same place it once was.

• Namaste and Good Luck

I heard a new one today. Since this change is kinda illegal someone told me that they think it's a ploy. A ploy to get all of the CR's (who are uninsured by Disney) to use up their dependants this week. Then when the 12th comes around (the last day for the use of dependants), Disney management will repeal this change in the rules. With all of the CR's using the free-be call-out's, they won't be able to call out during the holiday season without recieving an attendance infraction. Scheduling could then schedule them to work many days in a row. This would also make the CM's very very pissed off. It's low, but another idea of what may be going on.
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores

• Disney lover

I think they are hurting a bit, since last 2 times i was there May and July the park seemed to be a lot dirtier then normal, It seemed that in all the que lines there was trash everywhere and the trash cans were overflowing. Not the typical clean family place like normal.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by mattjbhs
    What night shift jobs are avaliable (after closing)? They must be a little less stressful since you don't have to deal with guests. I was thinking of applying next summer, before I go to UCIrvine.
    When I worked there in 92-95, the night shifts had Custodial, security, landscapers, painters, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, ect

I think that only Security and Custodial were hired "normally" through DL Casting. The skilled CM's (plumbers, electricians, mechanics, ect) were hired through their Union Hall, somehow...

It was less stressed because you didn't have to work w/ Guests as much. But you had some strict deadlines you had to meet. In the summer, the park would be open until after midnight, we would have to hose down all the streets and have them DRY before the parked opened the next day. If they were filming any commericals or anything in our area, that would just put more deadlines on us (we would have to be done by 4 am, and not 7 am)

I loved working the night shift, I've seen lots of areas that not everybody sees (maybe not many CM too..maybe)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Justin
    I heard a new one today. Since this change is kinda illegal someone told me that they think it's a ploy. A ploy to get all of the CR's (who are uninsured by Disney) to use up their dependants this week. Then when the 12th comes around (the last day for the use of dependants), Disney management will repeal this change in the rules. With all of the CR's using the free-be call-out's, they won't be able to call out during the holiday season without recieving an attendance infraction. Scheduling could then schedule them to work many days in a row. This would also make the CM's very very pissed off. It's low, but another idea of what may be going on.
    I've heard too, that they want to get rid of "higher" paid CR's, so they can have all lower-paid new hires.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast