Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Closed Account

"It would have been a really bad musical" - Joss Whedon, co-writer of Toy Story

"It would have been a really bad musical, because it's a buddy movie. It's about people who won't admit what they want, much less sing about it. ... Buddy movies are about sublimating, punching an arm, 'I hate you.' It's not about open emotion."
    Why then are they forcing Toy Story into musical form for DCA?

• Favorite movie ever

Blog Entries

Re: "It would have been a really bad musical" - Joss Whedon, co-writer of Toy Story

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Why then are they forcing Toy Story into musical form for DCA?
    No clue. Why are they taking Aladdin out of the Hyperion Theater (a great show by the way)?

I find that turning it into a musical is both pointless and contradictory to what the original movie was like. In simplest terms: it shouldn't.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5drgntKOI

I'M LOOKING THROUGH YOU...WHERE DID YOU GO?

• Disneyland History Lover

Re: "It would have been a really bad musical" - Joss Whedon, co-writer of Toy Story

Good question.

Perhaps it's a different storyline from the films? Who knows. I'm still not fond of the idea, but maybe it'll actually be good.

• Dream in wonderful color!

They did it for Finding Nemo: The Musical at Animal Kingdom.. Sorry to see Aladdin go, but I'm excited about a new show finally coming. I love Aladdin but a show like that should be switched out periodically - Aladdin is going on 8 years already!
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Rrrrreecite!

I wish Nemo was replacing Aladdin. I've seen the Toy Story musical on-line and its sooo bland. I really hope they make some revisions before it comes to DCA

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Because they can.

While I'm not a fan of shows at the park, I also think Whedon's philosophy of buddy movies is too simplistic. It probably could make a good show, and let's not forget Woody and Buzz are only 2 characters.

If anybody is into old (really old) films, remember the "road" films of Bing Crosby and Bob Hope. Buddy pictures yes but also musicals.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Yep, Aladdin just celebrated 7 years in they Hyperion on January 16, 2010. And that's not long enough, if the only idea they have for the next show is Toy Story.

• Minion

ORDDU: The music in Animal Kingdom's Nemo stage show is just plain awful. So I wouldn't use it as a good example of a good musical.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

wooow....way to sell it
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• ---------------

why force it?
    I'm thinking b/c the third movie is on it's way.
    Both 1 and 2 were put back into theaters for the 3-D presentation.
    The DVD's are back on sale so you can buy it on blue ray (Costco about $25 each).
    Isn't there even talk of the ride getting new programming to go along with the new movie.

There is money involved. Lots of T-shirts and "Toys" to be sold.
    Milk it until ppl are sick of it, then still try to milk any last drops out of it so you don't have to spend money on a new idea (IMO).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    why force it?
    I'm thinking b/c the third movie is on it's way.
    Both 1 and 2 were put back into theaters for the 3-D presentation.
    The DVD's are back on sale so you can buy it on blue ray (Costco about $25 each).
    Isn't there even talk of the ride getting new programming to go along with the new movie.

There is money involved. Lots of T-shirts and "Toys" to be sold.
    Milk it until ppl are sick of it, then still try to milk any last drops out of it so you don't have to spend money on a new idea (IMO).
    These are also the only logical reasons I can think of. If they wanted to replace Aladdin, they should have chose another classic Disney movie (Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, etc.) to improve the entertainment offerings in the park.

More importantly, Joss Whedon wrote Toy Story?? Huh! I had no idea. No wonder I like it so much.

As for the musical, glad to see something new come in, sorry to see Aladdin go.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• Future Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    More importantly, Joss Whedon wrote Toy Story?? Huh! I had no idea. No wonder I like it so much.
    Same! Dr. Horrible+Toy Story= Easily one of the greatest writers of all time.

And yeah, I think it's pretty unanimous that Toy Story the Musical doesn't belong in DCA.

Talking Re: "It would have been a really bad musical" - Joss Whedon, co-writer of Toy Story

Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    Same! Dr. Horrible+Toy Story= Easily one of the greatest writers of all time.

Agreed.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: The music in Animal Kingdom's Nemo stage show is just plain awful. So I wouldn't use it as a good example of a good musical.

Agreed! It was just terrible.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast