Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Backstage area between Main St and Tomorrowland

You know the area between Tomorrowland and Main Street, backstage? I was just wondering. Could they ever use this as more real estate for Tomorrowland, perhaps to create a large non-cartoon dark ride or something? It just might be a good idea considering Tomorrowland's current area isn't too big and is quickly being [planned/constructed] filled with cartoon concepts.

I realize the Starcade space or HISTA could be used for this, but let's pretend Starcade stays Starcade and HISTA at least remains a 3D theater. Could the backstage space maybe be used?

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Backstage area between Main St and Tomorrowland

Space Mountain occupies a large part of that backstage area. Behind Space to the east there isn't much room as there is basically a small "street" (more like an alley) and then more buildings. On the west side, more directly between TL and MS, you could "theoretically" expand, but not really. See, when the parade goes through the gates, it parks right there. It's the only space where there's enough room to park a parade. You can't just run the parade back to TDA backstage because most floats can't make it under the train bridge at Harbor Pointe. Heck, electric carts can barely make it some times, I'm not sure the parade floats, even if they weren't too tall, would have the power to make it back up the dip.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Thanks for the info Morrigoon. I didn't know anything much about the area - other than having briefly read about it, which made me make this thread - but now I do.

I just had got to thinking about how really Tomorrowland could use a little more expansion space. Not 'fill in the holes' space, but actually new space.

What I would love to see done at TommorrowLand would be

1. Remove Innovations. Put in the new Star Tours. The ride is on the upper story. You enter the line where Rocket Reds is now and then you wind your way to the rotating platform. Then you are let into the building in groups and you stand on the walkway while a droid welcomes you to the new terminal. The platform moves around varrious scenes like a repair bay, aliens at a customs counter, maybe a teloportation experiment from Alien Encounter with Skippy. At the end of the walkway you step into the center part of the 1st floor which is a winding que leading to an elevator. The elevator takes you to the loading dock and you enter you star cruiser. This would allow Space Mountain and Star Tours to create a Spaceport Section of TL.

2. Utilize the Starcade, Star Traders, and old Star Tours building to create a fun new darkride. You are invited to see the new Space Cruise Ship and you are beamed up to the deck (like the Star Trek ride in Vegas). You enter a line on the deck of the vessle where videos show all the amazing things you will see on your tour. Groups are let into a room which overlooks the bridge. The door seals behind you and you watch standard bridge action. Then the platform you are standing on begins to rumble. A wormhole has opened in front of the ship. The Captain yells for you to get to safety. You enter the next room which has floors which rumble and tilt slightly. The alarms go off and a voice on the loud speaker tells you to brace for impact. The platform drops a few inches under your feat and all goes dark.

You enter the last bit of the que which is in a shattered part of the ship. The captain instructs everyone to remain calm and enter evacuation pods to take you to a part of this alien planet which is better suited for evacuation. Help is on the way.

Your pod takes you through a jungle like terrain with alien trees and animals. Your pod sways from the path due to some ferrocious alien beast and you find yourself lost. Suddenly, a flash gordon type ranger jetpacks in and tells you he is here to guide you to safety. He leads you through various dangers like lava pits and man-eating plants. You then discover the secret hideout to the universes most nortorious villian. Your pod is sucked in with a tractor beam and robot guards surround your vehicle taking it to the cells. The evil overlord explains the situation on a large moniter. Laser fire goes off and the room goes dark. The lights turn back on to see the ranger standing in the middle of the moniter, sparks flying from the hole he just crated. You and he race through the corridoors being shot at by guards until you come across a room with a giant machine. The machine which brought your cruise ship to this planet. You face off with the villian, he escapes and activates the self destruct. Things explode around you while the ranger calls for the evac team. At the last second a light comes from above and you find your pod beamed onto the evacuation teams ship. All is safe.

3. Move the starcade and Rocket Reds to the que area and theatre for HISTA.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Man, I have been to Disneyland and that seems to be one small park. I really wonder how they can be hiding all of these areas that you guys are talking about. I mean the park seems to be crammed with rides and passageways that it seems impossible to cram anything new into the park. Does Disenyland really have a lot of opened space that is hidden?

• Photographer/Disney Lover

Its not that its "hidden" per say, but its not utilized as well as it should be. For instance, I love the idea of getting rid of inoventions! Its more of a bother than it is attraction. Everytime I walk by I ask myself and CM's "Anything new?"

"No."

When they began that program, it was made with the idea that new venders and coorps. would invest in the floor space inside. No such grab there. Its just not a popular attraction. If it was executed better, it would be a fun attraction! However, it has decayed, and just like all rides in time, needs to be re-evaluated.

As for the "hidden space" , inoventions takes a massive amount of space. As does Space Mountain. Air Conditioning units, Power Transformers, and Office space is all behind both those buildings. Also the monirail housing is there (i think so anyway...). As for tearing down buildings, DLR doesnt have the time to do such right now. They are in the middle of a 16 month celebration, and have too many visitors in the park at one time to have half of TL blocked off becuase of demolition.

So lets wait, and see what happens. I would vote for either one of two things.
    1. Tear down Innoventions and build some new e-ticket or re-arrange TL
    2. Actually upkeep Innoventions, and amaze me with tech and things from tommorrow.

comments?
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." ~ Walt Disney

• Beyond Your Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy54
    ... Also the monirail housing is there (i think so anyway...)
    Actually, it's near Its a Small World.

• Photographer/Disney Lover

there we go! knew it was around there somewhere....
    E.P Ripley Sits back there too.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." ~ Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM
    You know the area between Tomorrowland and Main Street, backstage? I was just wondering. Could they ever use this as more real estate for Tomorrowland
    There is actually some real estate their big enough for some expansion. Will it ever be used for that -- I doubt it -- remember this area is used to hold the parades during the day after it has done its run from Its a small world plaza. There is also a need for work trucks and delivery trucks to have access to this area.

this area was once destined to be another two small lands "Edison Square" and forgot the name of the other. they were going to be historical replicas of small towns with walk thrus using many AA's to tell historical stories. It never happened and this was many many years ago.

What they should do though is create a themed walkway so that the main street plaza could connect to either tomorrowland or the hub. occasionally they do open the gates and let people to help the congestion from mainstreet. it makes sense for them to just create a walkway that does not need to be supervised by dozen or so CM's while people go thru the backarea and see how ugly it is.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I'm not a cast member and have never been "backstage" so I'm not really familiar with the works back there. If you use Google Earth to view the area behind Space Mountain, it does look like a goodly amount of space. I've always thought the office building... which was probably very convenient years ago when the park still had plenty of open space... could easily be razed and located across the street somewhere.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo
    this area was once destined to be another two small lands "Edison Square" and forgot the name of the other. they were going to be historical replicas of small towns with walk thrus using many AA's to tell historical stories. It never happened and this was many many years ago.
    Also there was to be Liberty Street off back there from Town Square.
    International Street was to replace the both of them for a while.
    China Town was supposed to have been built off Center Street in the early 60s.
    And in the 1990s it was set aside for Hollywoodland.

• Former CM

There really isn't much space at all in the area that everyone is talking about. If you take away that area there would be no place to park any parade floats. The old admin building is still being used. It used to hold costuming (for regular CM's), but that has since been moved to a bigger building. When I left a few years ago Security was in there and also all of the charaters used it as a dressing room and also for making some costumes. Designing costumes for the CM's was done in that building too. Plus all of the schedulers for the parks are done out of there. The group that deals with TV/Radio telecasts also work out of the old admin building. If you got fid of the old building you would be in a hurt for space as there isn't room for everyone that was in there. At it's widest part between Main St and Space it's only about 100 yards (and that's most likely high) too.

• :)

Yea, it's true actually there isnt much space at all! Space Mountain occupies a large sum of the area, the Cast Member food court place is back here also, and this is where the floats go durring prep before a show, Character dressing rooms are back here, the CM security office is back here and alot of electrical boxes and mechanics are in the same vicinity and when there is a TV show / Movie being filmed in the park (last one I remember was George Lopez show) it's where I saw some of the "Star Trailors" Hmm, one more thing! When somebody gets hurt in the park, if you notice the First Aid building is directly next to this backstage area (at the end of main St. Between Main St. and Tomarrowland)...the area back here is just enough for Ambulences and fire engines, emergency vehicles, etc when an emergency occurs...CM's occasionaly will see an ambulence back here when someone breaks a leg or gets hurt glad if I could be any help...
    Last edited by Zeus; 11-01-2005 at 04:03 PM.

• Cast Member

The old Admin building is still very well utilized and razing it would send several workcenters out with no where to base their operations. Scheduling for most operations is located there. Costume design and some of the entertainment operations are there as well. The area behind Tomorrowland and Space Mountain up to the berm is used for cast locker rooms, food prep and park maintainence. Its not feasible to turn that area into another land. Just not enough room. Pretty much the only way the resort can grow in its present location is to move all back of house operations off property.

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by NavyCopSB
    Pretty much the only way the resort can grow in its present location is to move all back of house operations off property.
    Which is a great idea, that needs to be done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast