Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hating Disneyland

Just a curious topic: how do you react when people diss on Disneyland? I have a couple of friends who went once and literally despised it. Even though it gets annoying hearing them talk about how they hate it, I just say I agree to disagree.

Yet it is saddening to hear cool, yet cynical people just trash the parks, with the phrases "overpriced", "crowded, "lame" and "childish" being inserted often. It just irritates me to no end, but I am aware that DL is not for everyone (in fact, you know I wouldn't doubt that over 10% of the crowds in there everyday would rather be someplace else). Yet it just depresses me when they spit upon it, and it feels like they're insulting me for liking it as well. Maybe it's just an insecurity, I dunno.

But how do you react to Disneyland hatred?

• My turn

Re: Hating Disneyland

Story of my life. I seem to be a magnet for Disney haters, so I have a lot of experience dealing with them.

So whenever I overhear someone say it, I immediately think "We will never be friends."

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

"Different strokes for different folks!" I don't let it bother me, so most of the time I just ignore it. I do, however, feel a little down whenever my family sort of calls it babyish... They really don't realize how much Disneyland has changed my life.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Can't really let it get to you. Some people are just cynical and can never understand nor can they appreciate it.

And yah, people like that can never be my "friends".

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Well, to be fair, Disneyland can indeed be, and often is, crowded and overpriced. That doesn't mean I don't like it.

As for haters....people are different, simple enough. It's no different than me hating olives, or my girlfriend not eating meat....people disagree and like/dislike different things. While constantly bashing it isn't cool, and you can ask them not to, not much else beyond that really...you like it for your reasons, and they don't for theirs...leave it at that, and presumably you have other things you all agree on It can be irritating to hear, sure, but just be like..."OK, I understand you don't like it, but I don't have to talk about it being awesome and you don't have to trash it constantly". Most reasonable folks can abide by that, I'm sure.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• =)

I know plenty of people who don't care for Disneyland. I don't remember ever having too many close friends who outright hated the place, but my circle of friends has never been limited exclusively to fellow theme park fans. That being said, I do feel it when people put down the park, just as I feel it when people put down the music I like or the foods I like or the hobbies I like. That's pretty common, I think.

When someone tells me they really don't like Disneyland, my first step is usually just to get a feel for why they don't like it. Crowding and/or supposed childishness are almost always the reasons. If the person seems interested in talking about it, I'll usually "defend" the place in a friendly, logical way. I often just let it slide, though - it's pretty difficult to change people's minds about...well, anything.

• ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    it's pretty difficult to change people's minds about...well, anything.
    yup!
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Just a curious topic: how do you react when people diss on Disneyland? I have a couple of friends who went once and literally despised it. Even though it gets annoying hearing them talk about how they hate it, I just say I agree to disagree.

Yet it is saddening to hear cool, yet cynical people just trash the parks, with the phrases "overpriced", "crowded, "lame" and "childish" being inserted often. It just irritates me to no end, but I am aware that DL is not for everyone (in fact, you know I wouldn't doubt that over 10% of the crowds in there everyday would rather be someplace else). Yet it just depresses me when they spit upon it, and it feels like they're insulting me for liking it as well. Maybe it's just an insecurity, I dunno.

But how do you react to Disneyland hatred?
    I pity the fact that they cannot appreciate the artistry and talent that has gone into the place so many of us love. Alas, their view will not change mine.

• Banned User

:/

• Vroom, vroom!

I know people that never went to disneyland and think of it as childish.
    Actually the people I know dont know disney well at all. They think disney they think disney channel. Well the people I know try to tell me that grat america or animal kingdom is the best o.O those to me are amusement parks and the rides arnt even good enough in either thrills or in theme.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

My cousins always hate on me for loving Disneyland. As an 18 year old college guy, they think its ridiculous for me to love Disneyland and me go multiple times a year. It's hard for me to explain in words why I love it, I just let them rant and keep to myself most of the time. They will never understand the true beauty behind it. They'd rather go to Six Flags...Ugh.

• Disney Night Owl

People are either going to love me or hate me for doing this, but someone I was dating began to seriously bash Walt Disney and Disneyland...and so I stopped seeing this person. Sure, people are entitled to their opinion and yes, opposites can attract but man...to be with me, you gotta love Disney, the end.

When someone puts down Disney here and there, with actual explanation and yet they remain open for debate...I have total respect. However if they hate to hate, it's just annoying. However you will find people who will argue and hate things with absolutely no reason for just about every little thing out there.
    http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
    Always looking for new Disney friends.

• ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Liz View Post
    People are either going to love me or hate me for doing this, but someone I was dating began to seriously bash Walt Disney and Disneyland...and so I stopped seeing this person. Sure, people are entitled to their opinion and yes, opposites can attract but man...to be with me, you gotta love Disney, the end.
    Ppl like certain things.
    Even when your with someone you may not like everything (or the same exact things).
    But when it hurts your relationship b/c that person can't understand it
    and attacks you for liking it....
    then I agree with what you did.
    You can respect each other differences, but bashing and attacking is not a way to run a relationship.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Merry 2014!

I dislike the superior tone my sister gets when she says she'd rather spend her money on other vacation destinations. She is correct there are better vacation values out there, she went on a week long criuse for $300, but she needn't imply I'm stupid for choosing to go to Disneyland.
    Last edited by Fantasmico!; 03-26-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• GIANT MICKEY MOUSE TATTOO

People who dislike disneyland and or disney in general have made my backhand that much stronger. with that being said

only kidding

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast