• Future Imagineer!!

Talking Taking First Timers to DL

Isn't there something really awesome about taking someone to Disneyland for the first time. Be it they are 3 or 33 there is still that special feeling when you are watching them experience the parks for the first time. I took my best friend for her first trip when we were 18 and now she loves it almost as much as I do!! Anyone else have any fun or good stories about taking people on their first trip??

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Re: Taking First Timers to DL

I agree with you one hundred percent. This past holiday season we took our 7 year old and 3 year olds to Disneyland for the very first time and it was amazing!! To see the pure joy on their faces as they experienced rides, characters, fireworks, and parades made the cost of the vacation worth it. I made sure to plan plenty of character meals including goofys kitchen and ariels grotto (For my daughter, the 7 year old), and even the surfs up breakfast at PPH to ensure that they were able to interact with as many characters as possible. It was so awesome and now I am hooked We are planning another trip this Christmas that I have already booked and am hoping to make this a new family tradition. There is absolutely nothing better than sharing a first visit with someone.
    Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come

• world class bilge rat

Back in the early 80's I used to fly airplanes for a living, and had one of my own. I lived in central Oregon at the time.

I took a lot of people to DL their first time. If I live to be 150, I'll never forget the look of awesome wonder on their faces when they saw the park the first time. Eyes as big as saucers, oohs and aahs, it didn't matter if they were 6 or 60, the reaction was the same.

Even after being in the park all day, I'd still see the same looks when they saw something new.

That's part of the magic of DL. Overwhelm the senses, but not too much. Walt and the Imagineering team had this down perfectly, occasionally it's still seen these days, but not as much.

Rob

Last summer I took my neice for a trip to DL, it was her first, but she was really little the first time, so it was special. I wish I cold take her again right now!!
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

i can imagine how great that must be, but i've never taken anyone to the parks for the first time. ;(

• no flash photography...

I've taken two people to the park for the first time. One just was an *** and I could not wait to leave...the other person was just so happy to be there. She was all smiles the whole time.

• Future Imagineer!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I've taken two people to the park for the first time. One just was an *** and I could not wait to leave...
    oh man that is the worst!!!! I've never been with someone that bad but I have definitely been with some killjoys

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

• Cleared for the option

This summer I will be taking my 3 year old for his first time. I can't wait to see his face when he gets there!

• Nutty guy from Canada

My first time to DL was on my honeymoon with my wife in June of 2008. We had so much fun that we took my parents (2nd and 3rd timers) and my mother-in-law, brother-in-law (1st timers) this past February.

We also took our 6 month old son but as he probably won't recall the trip I don't think we will count it as his first time.

Watching my mom-in-law and brother-in-law enjoy themselves was part of the fun of going for the second time. Even though we had been before we missed much of the resort due to the heat the first time so we went on Pirates and the Mansion for the first time this trip. The Mansion is my favorite ride currently.

We all had such a great time that while we were there we signed up for the Disney Vacation Club with DLR as our home resort, guaranteeing many, many trips in the future.
    Last edited by Asylim; 03-28-2010 at 05:23 PM.

• The Ultimate DisneyGeek

I LOVE going with people who have never been, just the look in their eyes when they walk into the park makes me so happy . Its like that day is the happiest day of their life.
    http://twitter.com/Mr_Disney

Disney Fan since 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoobones View Post
    This summer I will be taking my 3 year old for his first time. I can't wait to see his face when he gets there!
    You know three is such a wonderful age and you always wonder how well they will behave...will there be tantrums...and all of that stuff that comes with a three year old. My son was three this past Christmas when we went and i will admit that I was a little concerned because sometimes even a simple trip to the mall can be a challenge...but to my amazement he did wonderful...I was shocked but so greatful. We had such a wonderful time.
    Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I was a first timer when my friend Jennifer invited me to go to Disneyland for the 5oth Anniversary. I think she got a lot of pleasure watching me enjoy my first time. Then I got to take my grandson for his first trip, and he got to take his mom. It is a whole lot of fun for me everytime I go, and it was fun sharing my excitement with them when they finally got to go as well.

• hi!

While it was nowhere near her first time since my parents took me a lot when I was really young, I was able to take my mom to the parks for her birthday last year. she hadn't been since I was little (10+ years) so it was pretty much her first time.

I had a great time! and she did too. it made me appreciate some of the things I've taken for granted by being there so often.

I get that similar feeling when a member of my circle of friends is newly indicted to getting an annual pass with us.
    -plagued

We're taking 3 people in October for the first time. One is my partners best friend who is the biggest Jack Skellington nut. When we told her about the HM overlay and the halloween fireworks she flipped. Not to mention all the Jack stuff she can buy. The other two have never been either and have never fully understood our Disney obsession.

My goal is to make them all three as crazy about all things Disney as we are.

As a teen going to Disneyland in the summer with my family back in the late 80s, my dream for the future was always to bring my own wife and children to the park. I was able to fulfill the first half of the dream when I met my wife while we both served in the Navy in Japan, and took her to Tokyo Disneyland for one of our first dates. She had never been to any Disney Park, so that was definitely special.

For the 50th Anniversary, we finally got back to Disneyland, and were able to take our four children, who were 5, 7, 9, and 11, for the first time. They had heard their Daddy repeatedly tell them tales over the years of all the magical things he remembered seeing as a child, and it truly was an amazing experience living the wonder of a child's first glance at the multitude of memory makers in that wonderful place.

We are going to relive that magic of sorts in May, when we treat my cousin and her family of 6 to their first time. Cannot wait!!!