Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Angry Wrong AP Room Rates at Disneyland...

As much as I dislike having to say anything bad about Disney and especially Disneyland, I had to let all of you know about some deceptive practices they are doing.

I am an annual passholder and stay at the Disneyland Resort hotels 4 or 5 times per year. I was on the Disney AP website looking at the availability calander for AP Rates on the hotels recently, looking to book a room for sometime in April and in May. In April there are some rooms at Paradise Pier listed at $174.00 and in May almost every night is listed at $149.00. I then called reservations to book some rooms and was quoted $261.00 for April and $225.00 for all rooms in May. I tried to book it online and had the same problem. I asked the person in reservations if there were any days available at the lower rates and had them check every single day in April, May and June. NONE of the quoted rates on the AP website are actually available. I asked if it was just that the website wasn't updated and was told that was probably it. Well, that has been the case for 3 days now and I know the website is updated several times per day. I've tried every day and still every room is 50% higher than what is listed.

It seems to me that Disney is trying to lure the AP's to the hotels with low rates but then trying to hook them into a higher rate when you actually want to book it.

This isn't so much a gripe as it is just a fair warning to all you AP's out there to be aware of.

As an AP and a stockholder, this is the kind of business practice that really disappoints me. Still love the place and plan on going, only this time I will probably stay off property for the first time.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Re: Wrong AP Room Rates at Disneyland...

Yeah I noticed that too. I think I check it on Friday and got excited that Paradise Pier had a decent rate over Memorial Day wknd and when trying to book online it won't give the price that shows available on the calendar. Haven't had a chance to call yet, and now it looks like I don't have to. I've always wanted to stay on property just to be able to try it, but alas I will stick to bidding on Priceline.

• Banned User

I have a feeling that there is going to be some major update to their website. There is another post that gives mention to the Calender being outdated for 2 weeks now. No doubt that the entire web dept is aware of this so something important must be happening behind the scenes.

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Maybe they are restructuring the web site?
    Yaye!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by phi1215 View Post
    Maybe they are restructuring the web site?
    Or they are updating the web server's security policies.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

When I was there in Sept
    I had the best experience on the phone with the CM.
    Everything went smoothly.
    It wasn't until I got to PPH that it went wrong.
    I like to pay the rooms off before I get there.
    At PPH they told me they don't do that and said I had to pay for the two days.
    Luckily the CM at reservations remembered me, had the proper information and got it all settled.

You can't tell names on here, but the CM I had over at Reservations was the best and very very helpful.

Hopefully they get this problem fixed.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Maybe I'm incorrect on this, but isn't that against the law as it is "false advertising" or "bait-and-switch"? I'm not a legal expert, but that was the first thing that came to my mind.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    Maybe I'm incorrect on this, but isn't that against the law as it is "false advertising" or "bait-and-switch"? I'm not a legal expert, but that was the first thing that came to my mind.
    That was the first thing that came to my mind as well. I almost titled the thread False Advertising and Rip Off but I decided to be kind.

I find myself in the difficult position of being a fan/passholder and wanting to save some money when I can and also being a stock holder wanting to keep my stock doing well.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

It seems like it should be Maybe you should report it to someone. (I have no clue who!). That's so wrong
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    That was the first thing that came to my mind as well. I almost titled the thread False Advertising and Rip Off but I decided to be kind.

I find myself in the difficult position of being a fan/passholder and wanting to save some money when I can and also being a stock holder wanting to keep my stock doing well.
    Standard Disney disclaimer... "Subject to restrictions and change without notice".

Exactly how many shares of stock do you own?

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Exclamation Re: Wrong AP Room Rates at Disneyland...

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    Yes. Advertising one thing but providing something different (i.e. 'bait and switch') is considered a form of fraud and is therefore illegal. However, getting any company in trouble for it isn't all that easy. For there to be a crime, the burden is on the accuser, to prove that the company had intent to do wrong.

In the case of Disney, which is highly sensitive to the public perception of the company, I strongly believe that this matter of laziness and/or miscommunication, probably mixed in with a healthy portion of bureaucracy. With the number of people that are trying to book rooms online, I bet that a pretty fair number of people have noticed the problem.

Based on the numerous years of customer service experience and rather limited legal knowledge, I can tell you that the best way to handle this, and to most likely get what you should, is to calmly and politely refer to the legal consideration and insist that the agent make the situation right. Then, if the agent can't/won't oblige you, the next step is to (again, calmly and politely) insist to speak to the next level up in the chain of command, and make the case again. Then, if necessary, do all the above again.

After going up just a level or two, in the chain of command, you will likely get the advertised room rate or, at least, some kind of conciliation, hopefully to your satisfaction. Also, taking the matter up the ladder, like this, will more than likely get the right people aware of the pricing snafu, and hopefully get the advertisements corrected.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Quote Originally Posted by Atari Adventure View Post
    Standard Disney disclaimer... "Subject to restrictions and change without notice".

Exactly how many shares of stock do you own?
    While I understand what you're getting at, the "Subject to change without notice" disclaimer doesn't hold up well when the lower price continues to be advertised online. If the official rate changes and the rate advertisement doesn't change accordingly, it's still considered a bait and switch.

Also, don't forget that Disneyland is in California, which is a very pro-consumer and rather litigious state. Around here, a stubborn and accurate assertion of your legal rights will get you what you are legally due. That is, unless you're dealing with somebody who is small-time and slippery enough that they can slip away and who really has nothing to lose.

The Disney Company definitely does not qualify as that kind of company. They have a very visible public image to maintain and they have have deep pockets that a lot of people would love to find a way to dig into.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    While I understand what you're getting at, the "Subject to change without notice" disclaimer doesn't hold up well when the lower price continues to be advertised online. If the official rate changes and the rate advertisement doesn't change accordingly, it's still considered a bait and switch.

Also, don't forget that Disneyland is in California, which is a very pro-consumer and rather litigious state. Around here, a stubborn and accurate assertion of your legal rights will get you what you are legally due. That is, unless you're dealing with somebody who is small-time and slippery enough that they can slip away and who really has nothing to lose.

The Disney Company definitely does not qualify as that kind of company. They have a very visible public image to maintain and they have have deep pockets that a lot of people would love to find a way to dig into.
    California Business and Professionals Code 17500:

It is unlawful for any person, firm, corporation or association, or any employee thereof with intent directly or indirectly to dispose of real or personal property or to perform services, professional or otherwise, or anything of any nature whatsoever or to induce the public to enter into any obligation relating thereto, to make or disseminate or cause to be made or disseminated before the public in this state, or to make or disseminate or cause to be made or disseminated from this state before the public in any state, in any newspaper or other publication, or any advertising device, or by public outcry or proclamation, or in any other manner or means whatever, including over the Internet, any statement, concerning that real or personal property or those services, professional or otherwise, or concerning any circumstance or matter of fact connected with the proposed performance or disposition thereof, which is untrue or misleading, and which is known, or which by the exercise of reasonable care should be known, to be untrue or misleading, or for any person, firm, or corporation to so make or disseminate or cause to be so made or disseminated any such statement as part of a plan or scheme with the intent not to sell that personal property or those services, professional or otherwise, so advertised at the price stated therein, or as so advertised. Any violation of the provisions of this section is a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by a fine not exceeding two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500), or by both that imprisonment and fine.

It is illegal for any corporation (Disney) to induce the public (advertise) to enter any obligation (book a hotel room) which is untrue or misleading and which is known, or which by the exercise of reasonable care should be known, to be untrue or misleading (multiple guest complaints) with the intent not to sell that personal property or those services (hotel room) so advertised at the price stated, or as so advertised (online vs reality).

• Retired

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

1. I got that line from the Disney website!
    2. I know Disneyland is in California, I used to work there. I am the
    Engineer turned Imagineer who installed Atari Adventure back in
    1982. Hence my name.
    3. I am a California native. I know this state!
    4. Are you an Attorney at Law?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Listing the Price Schedule is not the same as advertising availability.

Listing what the discount price is doesn't say that room rate is available.

Are you looking at the reservation system which is quoting prices and availability together?

Have you never seen the line... 'rooms starting at...'

If anything it's more weak functionality then it is deceptive.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast