Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Discovery Bay Site Plan

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPi View Post
    I remember as a kid seeing the model of Discovery Bay at the preview center on Main Street and being so stoked. The whole concept looked like a great new theme and a natural off shoot from Frontierland. I understand that the movies a lot of the attractions were based on tanked at the theater, but the idea was great. I really wish Disneyland would reconsider building this. With the massive crowds, the park really needs to expand one way or another. I did not renew my AP in Feb. because I was just tired of dealing with the crowds.

Justin
    You obviously go to the park during the wrong times then. I go during Disneylands off seasons only now because its so nice not having to deal with the summer crowds.
    I <3 Disneyland California
    &
    <3
    California Adventure

December 15, 1966 - Also known as the saddest day in world history.

Smile Re: Discovery Bay Site Plan

Quote Originally Posted by e4skins View Post
    You obviously go to the park during the wrong times then. I go during Disneylands off seasons only now because its so nice not having to deal with the summer crowds.
    I thought there was no longer an "off season" -- but glad to hear you've found it! If you wouldn't mind sharing your secret, can you tell us when you go?

• Banned User

Sorry, but this map is very un-accurate. The Marvel Gallery is actually a galaxy, and the real Marvel's Gallery is the small octagonal building next to what you claim is the Marvel gallery. They layout for the "Lost World River" is completely fantasized. In addition the IATTOTW building has never before been seen, so you obviously made it up. There should be discretion that this is very un-acurate.

As "brand-conscious" as Disney has become as some would argue.....

I have a hard time believing they would use that area for a land focused on a movie that did not do particularly well. "Island at the Top of the World" is NOT a classic Disney film (AND I saw it in the theatre). C'mon, David Hartman as the "star"? I was very young and it still wasn't a very good movie.......... vikings and fire and all such stuff...........

Yes the Jules Verne motif was used for TL in DLP -- because it was outside PARIS! and the French love French things and thus made it easier for the French to "accept" a Disneyland in France......... but we already have a TL and the paint job we got at DL's TL "refurb" (paint) didn't quite create the sense of "wonder" Disney was looking for......... so Discovery Bay is NOT quite what TDA would go to Burbank asking for 100's of Million's of dollars........ Again, no franchise, no merchandising, no money........

I'd be for a B&TB attraction between Casey Junior and IASW on the FL side, TDA seems to be having second thoughts about a Tinkerbell dark ride on the east where the Motor Boat Cruise used to be due to the tepid reaction the new "Fairies" initiative has garnered as it relates to merchandising........

Northwest of BTMRR is a lot of land............. but I have yet to see an idea that uses the land, gives us 2-3 more attractions and is thematically appropriate to the Frontierland/Fantasyland transition........... Discovery Bay has NO franchise, hence, it's not going to be built............. but Pocahontas "might" have such a franchise and fits into the Frontierland motif.

I'd rather a Liberty Square off of Main Street where rumor has it they're planning an arcade so we could have the Hall of Presidents (but NO more clone talk..........).

I once felt that the Festival of Fools/Videopolis area should be a place for the Narnia franchise that turned out NOT to be a franchise.........

I'm no big fan of Toontown, so I think THAT area should be considered when you think about the Big Thunder Ranch/Festival of Fools area..........

What I DON'T have is an idea for an entire land.............

Yes, Frontierland NEEDS to be built out towards ROA and use the Mine Train land for something. Yes, Toontown has become a wasteland except for Roger Rabbit and an area to stage fireworks from.......... no, Gadgets-go-coaster does not suffice (yet not EVERY attraction needs to be an E-ticket).

But I would suggest that they move the berm out to the perimiter of where Toontown is now to create more space for Fantasyland/Frontierland/whateverland..... and bulldoze Toontown (while moving some Toontown elements into Fantasyland...., the DLRR can run it's tracks slightly below the berm to hide the backstage...............

There IS some creative room for more in Frontierland west and northwest of BTMRR, there is some room to the west for Fantasyland north of CJCT and SLCB south of IASW, there's more land east where the Motorboat Cruise used to be and Toontown can go (just go - just leave Roger Rabbit and incorporate the BEST of Toontown into a corner of Fatasyland).

But again.......... I haven't yet seen an amateur imagineer come up with an idea I like. The land is there............ but there has to be a "Franchise" or some return on such an "internal expansion" that makes sense to the bean counters in Burbank.........

Just my 2 cents/pence................

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin77 View Post
    Sorry, but this map is very un-accurate. the real Marvel's Gallery is the small octagonal building next to what you claim is the Marvel gallery. They layout for the "Lost World River" is completely fantasized. In addition the IATTOTW building has never before been seen, so you obviously made it up.
    I see English is not your primary language, and something was lost in translation. When I labeled the thread "fun" and described the visual as a "basic site plan based on photos of the concept model," that meant it was not to be taken as the actual WDI architectural prints for Discovery Bay. I think most people got that.

I used plenty of artistic license and drew it in a couple hours, but it is the closest the public has to a site plan for the legendary canceled project... that is, until you draw up your own, less "un-accurate" site plan from scratch and post it here.

The Marvel Gallery is actually a galaxy
    This sounds interesting. Please elaborate.

There should be discretion that this is very un-acurate.
    Not quite sure what this means, but "un-accurate" is not a word; try "inaccurate" next time.

Does anyone have a link to any pictures that show the full model?

RandySavage, I'm working on a page for my website on Discovery Bay. Would it be okay to include your site plan on my site?

Beastly Kingdom
    ? Sci-fi City? Pirateland? Port Disney? Discovery Bay?
    My website: The Neverland Files - all about Disney projects that never got built!
    My blog: Disneyology - Imagineering news and commentary!

• Minion

^Sure, but you may want to label it "artist's impression."

Thanks so much! I shall do, haha. Should I credit it to RandySavage?

Out of curiousity, what program did you use to make it? It looks great.

Beastly Kingdom
    My website: The Neverland Files - all about Disney projects that never got built!

• Minion

^ I put a credit label on the original image so you can use that.

I've just done one for Beastlie Kingdomme, posted here:
    Beastlie Kingdomme Site Plan - WDWMAGIC.COM Forums
    Last edited by RandySavage; 04-02-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Was the Dragon Tower really meant to be an outdoor coaster? I always imagined it being indoors.

Beastly Kingdom

• Minion

^ Yes. You can see the majority is outdoors (far left here):

You can also read the fantastic description by lead designer Paul Torrigino, here:

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda (World View) by Paul Torrigino

and continued here:
    Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda (World View) by Paul Torrigino

Wow, so it was. That must have been one heck of an Imagineering feat to blend the track in well enough. I saw your post about hiding it amongst walls and debris.

Beastly Kingdom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12