Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Food joints I miss

Lots of people complain about the quality of food at the DLR. Others look forward to corn dogs, Monte Cristo sandwhiches and chicken frisili (sp?). Sure, the hamburgers are bla (but I do like the burgers at the Taste Pilots Grill) but there are some things worth eating at the park.

I was thinking about all the places to eat at the park that are no longer there. On Main Street there was The American Egg House. Although I don't ever remember eating there, it would be nice to have another place on Main Street to have breakfast in the morning and watch all the people coming in. I also remember loving the Sunkist Citrus House. I loved the fresh OJ and they had these really good honey glazed donuts. Over in Frontierland, in the mid 80s, there was a small service window between the Stage Door Cafe and the Riverbelle (near the mayo and ketchup bin for the SDC) called The Wheel House, that served soft serve ice cream cones (think the first version of Catch a Flav). There was the Mint Julep Bar in New Orleans Square that sold "fritters" that were large beignets (try the ones at the Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney, they are great). Although the mint julep tasted like mouthwash, they had Mardis Gras punch, which was yummy. Adventureland had 'Sunkist I Presume', which also sold a good drink called a Jungle Julep. It was a mix of fruit juices and was also yummy. In Fantasyland, Captain Hook's Pirate ship was a neat experience but I am not into Tuna so I don't remember actually eating there. Also in the old Fantasyland there was the Weltches Grape Bar. They sold the frozen grape juice bars, and as I kid I loved them. And in Tomorrowland, opening in 1977 with the rest of the 'Space Mountain complex", was the Space Place. Sure it was just a burger place but it had 2 stories of seating, which made it easy to find a spot in the Tomorrowland Terrace was too crowded. My best memory of this place was for Donald Duck's 50th birthday. They had special birthday meals and gave away free birthday cake. I never understood why they closed this large restaurant to close an attraction (Mission to Mars) and just open up another restaurant 50 feet away. The should have revamped the Space Place with the Pizza Port menu and keep the Mars building to build a new attraction.

So those are my memories of Yesterdayland food joints at Disneyland. I would of loved to try the Chicken Plantation restaurant and see how it compared to Knott's chicken restaurant. But since I was born in 1969, that was not possible.

Sorry for any spelling errors....too lazy now to proof read this post.

Re: Food joints I miss

I miss the Monorail Cafe most of all...
    MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Last I looked the Mint Julep Bar was still there. The fritters are a pale shadow of the softball sized ones they used to be, though.
    Mike

• We Want The Redhead

Nice memories of 'Yester-Chow.' My first meal ever was Aunt Jemima's stupendously great pancakes in the Aunt Jemima Pancake House which is now the Riverbelle Terrace.
    Those Welches grape bars were so fine on a hot July day in Anaheim. Thanks for jogging the ol' aging brain cells.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

I remember eating the fried chicken at the Plantation restaurant. I remeber it was sooo good. The biscuits were hot and served with butter and honey. I also loved the grape juice bars. My mother and sister would buy me and my niece and nephews the juice bars. That was our treat. My oldest niece also had to have a Tuna sandwich from the pirate ship everytime we went to the park. The American Egg restaurant used to serve the best omelettes. We looked forward to eating there when we were older. They served the best coffee there! I remember looking forward to seeing Aunt Jemima at the Riverbelle. The pancakes and eggs were delish. Even the Mexican food at Casa de Frito was pretty good. Ah, the memories!

• Johnny and Me!

I miss the Fish N' Chips at the Harbour Galley. Now all they have is boring old soup and salad.

• hi!

the fry carts

no lectures on how unhealthy they are / how they can withstand an atomic bomb / how mcdonald's doesnt belong in dland / how you can cross harbor and get them. yes i know. but i still miss them.
    -plagued

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I really miss the Tahitian Terrace. I still have 4 plastic leis they handed out when you first came in.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• when you wish...

I loved, loved, loved the Tahitian Terrace! That's where my love of Monte Cristos began
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here." --Art Linkletter, July 17, 2005

I miss the fried chicken salad from Hungry Bear, before they changed their menu.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

We talked about this recently, but I miss the Fantastic French Dips they used to have in New Orleans Square.

Also, the Monorail Cafe. Their Chicken Salad Cashew Croissant was wonderful!

They used to serve a Great ham and turkey sandwich on focacia break at the TL Terrace.

And I did enjoy the food they served when Aladdin's Oasis had a dinner show. And talk about chocolate overload at dessert!

About 400 miles, maybe less, from Anaheim, CA

I really miss French Market, the way it use to be before they recently changed the menu. My family and I went on vacation to the DLR last summer and we found that they had changed the whole menu. The food like I said is different, more expensive, and you get less than you did before, which I think is really stupid. You also can't get your own drinks and no refills anymore. You would also get a side salad with any meal you got (except the kid's meal of course) and you got your money's worth but it's sadly not so anymore. Oh well, at least there's the other great restaurants there that I love like Rancho Del Zocalo, Pizza Port, and so on.

I never went there, but I've always regretted never eating at the Monorail Cafe or the Tahitian Terrace.

Over on the DCA side, Maliburritos was good, the one time I tried it.

• Hooterville, USA

I loved the Blue Bayou when I used to be able to afford to go there!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Banned User

Although I never went there, the Tahitian Terrace always seemed popular and I seem to remember there always being a line. What was the reason management gave for closing what seemed like a popular venue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast