Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• I'm not really here

Re: So...whose is it, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I think this is a search better suited to someone who seems to have knowledge in the field--like Karalora. Dave might be able to tell us where the piece came from, though. I can e-mail him tomorrow.
    Yeah, this is what I meant... not what it is, but more the history of the piece itself. And thanks

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Bring back the Keelboats!

So the Shield in front of the Castle was installed around July of 1965. What about the 3 in the back? Do we know when they were installed??

This really is fascinating....

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Ex-Marvel stockholder

Blog Entries

I'm sitting here tapping my fingers waiting to see how this turns out...this is the most interesting thread I've read on here...

Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
    The Adventures of the Gonzo Family and the Diminishing Bank Account
    The Adventures of the Gonzo Family and the Temple of the Defaulted Loan

Shameless plug: I have a Band and You can buy our music at
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/zom...er/id514847110

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendGonzo View Post
    this is the most interesting thread I've read on here...
    You shoulda been here five years ago...

• I'm not really here

Seriously! I miss threads like this one where we took some little tiny detail and picked it to shreds examining it from every angle (among others). Hopefully it won't take too long to track down some real concrete answers and officially lay to rest a long standing Disneyland myth.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    So the Shield in front of the Castle was installed around July of 1965. What about the 3 in the back? Do we know when they were installed??

This really is fascinating....
    The famous photo of Walt walking through the Castle shows the three shield shapes, but in a larger version I cannot see anything on them. I still think this rumor is a mis-telling regarding one of their rear shields, which does feature three flour-de-lis.

Walt walking through Sleeping Beauty Castle
    Rear of Sleeping Beauty Castle

• Disappearing/Reappearing

maybe it's one of those things we'll never know.

Like..how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop

• Faerie Godmother

Again, the shield with fleurs-de-lis on the back of the Castle has nothing to do with the Disney family; it is the national arms of France. I'm searching the blazons of the other two, to the extent I can figure them out, in order to find out their significance.

• I'm not really here

Well my wife had the idea that it might be King Stefan's coat of arms from the movie. We just watched through the whole movie looking closely at all the coats of arms in there... nope. No three lions. Lots of fleur de lis and a few lions sejant though.

• Faerie Godmother

I'm not having any real luck here, for either the shield on the front of the castle or the ones on the back (except for France). There are so many thousands upon thousands of registered coats of arms in the various heraldic archives of the world, and the various elements can be combined in so many ways that it's no good simply doing a Google search on what I can identify. Putting it in quotes won't do me any good if I haven't got the blazon exactly right.

Do you think the Cast Members at the Castle Heraldry Shoppe would know?

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

So then where did the rumour start? Wierd...

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Ah, good times... good times.

So to recap: it's not anything to do with England, as the three lions are passant, not passant guardant.

What it is in case anyone knows a herald to ask:
    The crest consists of one lion passant guardant.
    The shield is charged with three lions passant (not guardant) in pale.
    None of the lions are armed or crowned (as with Denmark).
    None of the tincture is known as the entire thing is slathered in gold paint.

Here's a nice detailed photo:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lorenja...42302/sizes/l/

Strangely there's a copy of this BACKSTAGE at DLP, not painted at all. There's also smaller versions of it to the sides of Paris's castle but reversed? Neither of these are exact copies however, the one backstage includes a cordon/banner for a motto beneath it and the outdoors one is stylised differently (in addition to being cast backwards).
    http://www.hiddendlrp.com/?p=444
    http://www.d-log.nl/media/db_images/...357_9db287.jpg

Everything official I've looked at has aspects of the DL one, for example Denmark has three lions but crowned, and Lilv in the Ukraine has three lions as part of its flag, but facing to the right.

I'm beginning to think that this was a crafty mock-up from someone in Imagineering.

Glossary:
    Passant - walking to the left and looking to the left.
    Guardant - walking to the left but looking at the viewer.
    Pale - in a line down the middle.
    Tincture - coloration.
    Crest - thing at the top above the helm.
    Shield - what most people mistakenly call the crest! lol
    Charge - any object on the shield.
    Armed - charge carries a weapon often a sword.
    Crowned - charge wears a crown.
    Last edited by monotonehell; 04-08-2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added story so far.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    maybe it's one of those things we'll never know.

Like..how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop
    I have it on good authority that the answer is "Three."

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Whoops pushed the wrong button - look up for my post.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• I'm not really here

So I, and my wife, spent HOURS (literally) combing through the internet looking for links to places where Sleeping Beauty was written, the author (Charles Perrault), any places that were used as inspiration for SBC and Fantasyland... nothing.

The only coat of arms that I can find that comes remotely close is that of Baden-Wurttemburg in Germany. It is three lions passant in pale. However, this can't relate to Neuschwanstein castle as it is located in Bavaria, not in Baden-Wurttemburg. Though it must be said that Lichtenstein castle does bear a resemblance to both Neuschwanstein as well as to Sleeping Beauty Castle, and it is located in Baden-Wurttemburg. It was built in the 1840s by the then Duke of Urach. Their family was the ancestral rulers of the Kingdom of Wurttemburg before it became a state of Germany. The coat of arms for this Kingdom is even closer to the coat of arms on SBC (at least the lion portion as this has several other features to it). All that was retained of this ancient coat of arms upon adoptioninto Germany was the lions passant in pale.

This is not a definitive answer to the riddle, just a link I was able to find, and the only remotely matching coat of arms.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast