Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• Faerie Godmother

Re: So...whose is it, really?

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Sure I do. And did:

There ya go.
    Awesome! It looks like I had the blazons for the middle and rightmost shields wrong.

The middle one should be:

Argent, on a chevron sable between three martlets* sable, three crosses crosslet** or.

The rightmost one should be:

Sable, a wolf or, three mullets argent in chief.

* I guess. Every book on heraldry I have read says that "martlets" are traditionally depicted without legs, but has not given any alternate term for songbirds with legs. I can only assume these birds are meant to be martlets, perhaps painted by someone unaware of the convention.

** These might instead be crosses botonny. A cross crosslet has a crossbar on the end of each arm, and a cross botonny has each arm terminate in a trefoil shape. From even a slight distance it can be hard to tell the difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    I wouldn't count on anything in there being accurate considering they can't spell Philip (Phillip) from one window to the next!!!
    Please pardon this off-topic post:

Phillip / Phillip / Philip in the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough:

http://www.originald.com/pics/update...img6265qs5.jpg

http://www.originald.com/pics/update...img6275sd9.jpg

http://www.originald.com/pics/update...img6286fb0.jpg

Photos from PeoplemoverMatt (OriginalD.com)

Source: Photo Tour of New Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough!
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 04-22-2010 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Hotlinked image

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by von Drake View Post
    Here's the website of someone named Virginia Disney,
    Virginia Disney : About the Artist

...you'll see her "About the Artist" page. It includes a Disney coat of arms identical to the one on the castle.
    An excellent find!

• A Malice in Wonderland...

^
    Yes great find. But why are there multiple family crests for the Disney family then? And who comes up with these crests and who has been in charge of keeping track of who's crest is who's. I don't really know anything about famililial crests, but it seems like their accuracy would be hard to validate. Can anyone help me here?
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

• A Malice in Wonderland...

Quote Originally Posted by von Drake View Post
    If I may, I'd like to reinforce the point made in Kiralora's excellent and informed posts. There is no reason to believe the crest on the castle ISN'T a valid coat of arms for Disney.

To illustrate, check out these different coats of arms, all for the surname Smith:

http://www.smithy.org/assets/images/...at-of-Arms.gif
    http://www.tradebit.com/usr/heraldic...at-of-arms.jpg
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/12274_f260.jpg

You may note certain similarities (helmet on top, etc.), but plenty of variations.

The heraldry on the castle and the "other" Disney heraldry displayed by Steve at the start of this thread are, in fact, far more similar than these--indeed, more similar than they are different. This leads me to think that both might be valid instances of Disney family heraldry.

Kiralora was correct in stating that COAs belonged to individual nobility, not to families. What often happens is that descendants, themselves no longer noble, dig up the arms of their last known noble ancestor and adopt those as the "family COA". But those results can vary--for one, because research itself varies, and because different branches of the family may have exited the nobility at different times.

So, we seem to be mis-framing the question. The matter at hand is not whether the COA on the castle is the "correct" one for the Disney family, but whether it is intended to be such. It is entirely plausible that Walt (or an assistant) might have asked someone to dig up "the Disney coat of arms" and received this as a result. If the result was erroneous (to a small or large degree), I don't think he would have noticed; something tells me it wasn't painted on the side of the barn in Marceline, MO.
    well that kinda answers my last post. thanks.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

• Feeeel the power Kronk...

10 min away from the happiest place on earth!!

So if it isn't the family crest, why did they release a pin saying it was... or are we talking about a different crest?

Accessory - Booster Collection - Sleeping Beauty Castle

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Yzma's_Apprentice View Post
    So if it isn't the family crest, why did they release a pin saying it was... or are we talking about a different crest?

Accessory - Booster Collection - Sleeping Beauty Castle
    It appears now it may be "one" of the Disney coats of arms.

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    Maybe it's one they just made up as Aurora's.....or perhaps, Prince Philip's family crest?
    Probably neither's. If you recall, in Sleeping Beauty King Hubert tells King Stefan that he has already had Aurora's and Philip's castle built and it's ready for them to move in. So perhaps Sleeping Beauty Castle isn't what we see in the movie anyway. Maybe the crest is a merger of the two royal families.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    One of the most widespread pieces of misinformation that is perpetuated by the Disney folks is that the herald affixed above the portcullis of Sleeping Beauty Castle is actually the Disney family crest:

However, the actual Disney family herald appears to be this design:

So...can anyone tell us whose family crest is the one portrayed on Sleeping Beauty Castle?
    Then there's this:

which seems to be combining elements of the two crests.

• Closed Account

Sorry to bring this thead back from the virtual dead, but I just found this interesting.

While driving home from working on our railroad, I came along side a semi-truck with the "England" name across it--it was from the C.R. England trucking company. I'm sure many of us have seen them before.

What caught my eye (and probably never would have before this thread) was the herald:

Look familiar?

• "I Break Things"

So what you're trying to say is that Walt was secretly interested in the mysterious art of truck driving and left clues sprinkled throughout his park in reference to it so that future scholars could uncover the clues and find Walt's favorite roadside diner?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Retired

Totally different. Similar but definitely not the same. Lions stance is different, lions legs are different, quantity of lions are different. One has a complete Lion on top while the other has just a Lions head separated by the helmet from a suit of armor.

The only thing in common is the Lion. Then there are the colors associated with each Coat of Arms.

All Coats of Arms look familiar as they are... Coats of Arms.

• Cleared for the option

By jove Techskip, I think you've got something there!

• Faerie Godmother

I thought we (well, mainly von Drake) had established that the shield on the castle is probably a Disney coat of arms, if not necessarily the right one for Walt's branch of the family. And if so, then when correctly colored it would display red lions on a white ground, not gold lions on blue and white stripes. I think we can safely say there's no connection with the trucking company, or with whatever family or town the company took its shield from.

But having pointed that out, I do want to let Atari Adventure know that the minor differences in the posing of the lions are irrelevant. Every heraldic artist has their own style of drawing, and the very same coat of arms can wind up looking noticeably different if drawn by two different artists, while still being in accordance with the blazon in both cases. The difference in the crest, on the other hand, would be diagnostic even if we didn't have von Drake's findings to reference. Not only does the trucking company have only a lion's head instead of a full lion, but the head is adorned with a red and blue ermine spot for some reason, and there is no such marking in evidence on the castle.

• Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    I do want to let Atari Adventure know that the minor differences in the posing of the lions are irrelevant. Every heraldic artist has their own style of drawing, and the very same coat of arms can wind up looking noticeably different if drawn by two different artists, while still being in accordance with the blazon in both cases. The difference in the crest, on the other hand, would be diagnostic even if we didn't have von Drake's findings to reference. Not only does the trucking company have only a lion's head instead of a full lion, but the head is adorned with a red and blue ermine spot for some reason, and there is no such marking in evidence on the castle.
    Not in my family, nor any family that I know of. Every detail is important and relevent. When contracted, the artist has strict specifications to follow.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast