Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation AMC Theatres suggestion

I have a modest proposal: AMC Theatres at Downtown Disney should show a classic, Walt-produced movie at one of their theatres all the time. Let people see, for example, Pinnocchio at one of their screens for as long as it makes a profit. Very few people alive today have seen a Walt Disney film at the theatre the way it was meant to be shown. I know that the El Capitan does this on occaision, but most tourists don't know about it. This would give them a chance to see a film on a big screen instead of home video. I'd see Pinnocchio at the theatre even though I own the 2-disc DVD version. I'd really like to see 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea on the big screen again. Did you know it was only the second wide-screen movie ever made in Hollywood? Walt had to borrow 20th Century Fox's anamorphic lens in order to make 20K; it was the only such lens that existed at the time.

Anyway, that's my proposal. What do you think?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: AMC Theatres suggestion

I don't think there should be an AMC in DTD.
    But then again,
    I've been there once and had the worst experience.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• ohai

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    I've been there once and had the worst experience.
    Story Time!

• MICKEY MOUSE IS MINE :)

How about change it to be like El Capitan it has current movies and old ones too
    What?!?! Birth By Sleep is only coming out on the PSP?!?! It's the end of the world!!!

• Sock Puppet

I believe you just restated exactly what the OT is suggesting. This is a good idea, and one that would make a lot of sense and probably please a lot of people. So naturally, it's probably not gonna happen. DTD definitely needs a boost though.

• Mickey's pal

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRicky View Post
    Story Time!
    Yeah, please share.
    "It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was kid."
    - Walt Disney on Disneyland

• Mickey's pal

I'm down for this idea. Imagine seeing Snow White or Fantasia or any other of the classics that were overseen by Walt on the big screen...awesome.
    "It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was kid."

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Personally, I wouldn't understand that at all. I went to the AMC in Downtown Disney, and while it does need improvement, I haven't had a bad experience...yet. I think it would be ridiculous since most of the films are out on DVD, despite limited availability.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald_Duck View Post
    Yeah, please share.
    It was the merchandise party for the first Pirates.
    We thought we'd be one of the first to see the movie.
    We had no clue it would have been at AMC (since the screen was still up on TSI).
    Once we were told it was at the AMC.
    We followed the signs to where the preview would be.
    We were held in the back of the theater (where the dumpsters are).
    After watching several ppl who paid $6 to see the movie (us $83, some paid more) we were let in.
    The theater was hot.
    They didn't put the air on for us until about half way through the film.
    The restrooms had no toilet paper.
    The popcorn was stale (or sorry, we got popcorn/drink with our $83.00 and a bag of gems).

Sure Disney had a good part to blame on this, but AMC also didn't follow through with great customer service (and it wasn't like they weren't told by several up happy people about the air or bathrooms).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• A Pirate's life for me!

What cracks me up is that they don't even accept coupons for Disney movies!

We rec'd two free ticket coupons for the Haunted Mansion movie back when it was first released. We figured that since we were going to be at the Resort when the movie opened, we might as well watch it at DTD!

Wrong!

It seems that even though we were at DTD... right next to DL... to watch a Disney movie... we couldn't use the Disney coupons to see the movie! WTH???

Seems the coupons weren't accepted at that theatre.

Since we paid for four other tickets, the mgr gave us two comp tix instead.

And the worst part was that the movie stunk!

AMEN. It would be amazing to see Alice on the big screen
    -"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

• Banned User

It was the merchandise party for the first Pirates.
    We thought we'd be one of the first to see the movie.
    We had no clue it would have been at AMC (since the screen was still up on TSI).
    Once we were told it was at the AMC.
    We followed the signs to where the preview would be.
    We were held in the back of the theater (where the dumpsters are).
    After watching several ppl who paid $6 to see the movie (us $83, some paid more) we were let in.
    The theater was hot.
    They didn't put the air on for us until about half way through the film.
    The restrooms had no toilet paper.
    The popcorn was stale (or sorry, we got popcorn/drink with our $83.00 and a bag of gems).

Sure Disney had a good part to blame on this, but AMC also didn't follow through with great customer service (and it wasn't like they weren't told by several up happy people about the air or bathrooms).
    While an unexcusable and sad experience you had, that's really a special event that went a little sour, and I read a few of these special bad events Disney has held in the past on websites like these. It sounds like Disney sees the $$ signs by fans and create these events but sadly dont think them through enough and it becomes confusing and well, uneventful .

But take it from someone where DTD AMC is their regular movie theater and go there once or twice a month, its normally a good experience . The employees are friendly, great seating, never very busy and you even get a discount if you have an AP! I really like AMC there because as a local its just fun to watch a movie there and sometime if I have a little extra hours on my parking, I go into DL for a few hours before heading home. Even if the movie sucks, I still get to hit DL for a little while. Its all win-win lol.

Yeah the snacks are ridiculously expensive though but thats any movie theater in L.A. and after living in Australia and Japan where theater tickets and snacks are even MORE expenisive, L.A. is now kind of a bargain for me .

• hi!

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Yeah the snacks are ridiculously expensive though but thats any movie theater in L.A. and after living in Australia and Japan where theater tickets and snacks are even MORE expenisive, L.A. is now kind of a bargain for me .
    you should check into Harkins Theaters.. but i'm not sure where all their locations are. for sure, i know there is one in Chino Hills. quite possibly the most affordable movie theater food i've ever seen.
    -plagued

• Hukuna Matata!

I agree with you 100%

• Mickey's pal

It was the merchandise party for the first Pirates. (...)
    That does suck.

I can relate to the hot part. June 15, 2005. Las Vegas. I'm seeing Batman Begins, opening day, place is packed. Huge sign saying "We're sorry blah blah blah, air conditioner doesn't work." I go in anyways, 'cause, I mean, it's Batman. Man, it was hot as you-know-where, and it stunk in there after a while. But I didn't care, because it's Batman. FIN

Okay, end of my off topic-ness.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast