Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• No bacon; sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    I hope the MI ride will be unique. I think it was on MiceAge that I read they might utilize a two track design. One track would be high and the other would go low. Giving two different perspectives on the ride. That'd be cool. Or maybe even a hanging style ride (ala peter pan) where you're flying through the factory on the track the doors are on, helping catch that lizard guy.
    From what I've heard, anything that elaborate has been scrapped.

• -Going Retro-

I'm going to keep my hopes high for the time being. After, all it has to be better then a closed attraction or an open SSL. I will miss my shady smoking area though

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon
    From what I've heard, anything that elaborate has been scrapped.

• Minion

Yeah, let's recap the more-or-less confirmed rumblings.

M:I will have a small budget. This isn't anything too elaborate, it's an overlay.

M:I will reuse the same track, vehicle guts, and layout as SSL. Supposedly, the vehicle shell will be re-themed, otherwise the actual ride mechanics will be the same.

Pooh was under-budgeted, recycled the building of an existing attraction, and created in Disneyland, next to one of the park's newest E tickets which regularly gets a 90 minute queue, a Fantasyland-style dark ride based on Disney's highest-earning characters, who has been in the Disney family for decades and who had existed for a few more decades before that, and who together with his friends is said to be responsible for about 1/5 of Disney's annual profits. It flopped.

M:I is under-budgeted, recycles not just a building but a ride system, exists in DCA, and on top of that is surrounded by dead attractions and restaurants, and is next to an E ticket that frequently only has a 13 minute queue, and will be a Fantaslyland-style dark ride based on some fairly recent characters who have already been largely replaced in the minds of the general public by Nemo and Incredibles... How well do we really expect this one to do?
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    ... How well do we really expect this one to do?
    I'd say alot better than SSL. Something is better than an abandoned building.

• That's Hawt

THANK GOD! I still remember waiting an hour for SSL ... Very VERY sad I think I may cry just thinking about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Wow, I was glad to get some photos of this attraction last week. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be long for this world. Way to go Matt and Greg! You guys are doing a great job with these parks.

I hope your wrong, but it could flop. I think the Pooh ride failed for lack of effort and imagination. I think the current TDA has a better chance of pulling this one off than the previous one, based on what they have accomplished in a very short period of time. Of course, nobody really knows if it will be a hit, but I believe that the current team could make it work.

Almost anything would be better than SSL.

Bring back the motor boat cruise in DL, that was more entertaining.

I think the small budget is in recognition that there will be bigger changes in the area in the long term. At this point the only dark ride in DCA is......oh yeah, there isn't one right now (movies don't count.)
    The Mur

• Minion

Rode the disastrous SSL once... with my dad, this was about 2 weeks after DCA opened, and was during the week. We had no one waiting in it before us even then. I barely remeber it, it was so bad, I forced all memory I could of it out.

And mind you, this was after the opening glow when they realized a lot of the park wasn't working right, so CalScreaming was down most of the day, and the mini coaster...(Rodeo Dr?). And... well, lots of stuff... but I got to ride Zephyr... which seems to close down nowadays if someone sneezes in Disneyland.

SSL was still there for my second trip, but not my 3rd. And good riddance, glad they're killing it off? I've wondered since then, if this wasn't a ride foisted on them by honchos at ABC like Idiot Iger?

• behind the curtain

While I wasn't a "fan" of SSL by any stretch of the imagination, I was sad to see it close, if only because DCA had so few attractions that even SSL was better than nothing. Now it's good to see that something is finally being done in there, maybe a new restaurant will fill the old Hollywood and Dine too.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDisneyDad
    I hope your wrong, but it could flop. I think the Pooh ride failed for lack of effort and imagination. I think the current TDA has a better chance of pulling this one off than the previous one, based on what they have accomplished in a very short period of time. Of course, nobody really knows if it will be a hit, but I believe that the current team could make it work.
    Bear in mind, one of the major keys to their success so far has been based on throwing money at things. Which is apparently the opposite of the approach they are taking with SML. It sounds like a deliberately temporary attraction to keep the 50th celebration going come January, but not so expensive that they will feel the money was wasted, once they tear it down to imrpove that north side of HPB.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• It's all nonsense

Does anyone have pics of the construction walls or anything? I'm really curious what's going on over there.

• Santa Barbara, CA

My rumor mill said it was being discussed using the TDL Pooh technology. That would be a "wow" and expensive, but not obscene. It sounds more believeable that they would do an overlay on the existing system just to get something back open.

The other thing is that everyone sees all of this as all Matt's doing. True enough, he is the lone and true champion operator of quality and good show, but only plays a part in what gets funded and executed. It does not hurt to know that Eisner is fighting for his corporate life, there have been deaths and the parks need to show improvement to stave off Roy and Wall Street's expectations. A click or two above Matt, we're talking Michael's "legacy" here. They had no choice but to clean the place up and show a turnaround or just keep killing people. Matt came along at a crucial time and to Jay and Michael's credit they picked him wisely. He is THE guy to save the place. His work on Cruise line speaks for itself. Compared to Pressler, Matt has parted the Rivers of America and is leading the guests to the "painted land".

Good thing I don't exaggerate.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• wasting time

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    Does anyone have pics of the construction walls or anything? I'm really curious what's going on over there.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast