Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• A Suitcase & A Dream

Hercules Electrical Parade floats

Does anybody know why the floats made for the Hercules Electrical Parade were never added into the parade? It seems like quite a waste to have the floats designed and built and only be used once. It took them over 10 years to have a new float built after that.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Hercules Electrical Parade floats

Quote Originally Posted by imagineerthat View Post
    Does anybody know why the floats made for the Hercules Electrical Parade were never added into the parade? It seems like quite a waste to have the floats designed and built and only be used once. It took them over 10 years to have a new float built after that.
    Is this about the Electrical Parade and having a float about Hercules?
    Or a whole new parade that is Hercules?

From the way the post is written it suggest a Hercules parade.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

He (or she) is asking about what happened to the Electric Parade floats that were made for the premiere of the Hercules movie. They brought the Main St electic Parade to New York and sent it down Broadway toward the theater where the premiere was held, in a newly refurbished theater Disney helped restore. There was Pegasus float leading the parade and one other themed to Hercules. As far as I know that was the only time there were ever used. I asked a similar question, on the WDW forum, a few months ago that never got answered.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    He (or she) is asking about what happened to the Electric Parade floats that were made for the premiere of the Hercules movie. They brought the Main St electic Parade to New York and sent it down Broadway toward the theater where the premiere was held, in a newly refurbished theater Disney helped restore. There was Pegasus float leading the parade and one other themed to Hercules. As far as I know that was the only time there were ever used. I asked a similar question, on the WDW forum, a few months ago that never got answered.
    Thanks!
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Banned User

pics/video?

• The one and only

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeDX62jPz3Q]YouTube - Disney "The Hercules Electrical Parade" - NYC 1997[/ame]

• Once upon a dream

Was a movie a hit then? Idk anything about hercules.

Also, I like the first float except the pegasus could be done better!

Thank you Solitary!

• Sock Puppet

These floats are so awesome. Shame they're not used. They're way nicer looking than the Pleasure Island float they recently brought back.

There was also a Fox and the Hound float the year that movie was released. It'd be fun to see that again.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

I totally forgot about all the bulbs being auctioned off.
    And in usual Disney style, throw a plug in for Light Magic.
    Last time I watched the parade, I don't remember Pinocchio in it.
    Am I forgetting, or was it taken out?
    Wonder why (if it was).
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Need a little history to answer the question, and place in the proper context.

MSEP glowed away forever from DL. (making way for what ended up being one summer of "Light Magic" )

MSEP made it's way to NY,NY, for a special one time run, for the Premiere of "Hercules". For several years, Disney had HUGE special premieres for it's new animated movies. These Premiere Parties were then made into a tv special, to promote the new movie. (In fact, Disney also had a "shopping mall tour" designed specifically to promote Hercules, with games and a stage show.)

Two floats were designed specifically for the Hercules Premier Party in NY,NY. After the Hercules Premiere, MSEP made it's way to WDW. I don't believe the Hercules units were ever shown in WDW.

Eventually, the MSEP made it's way back to DLR, in 2001, in a emergency attempt to rescue the newly opened DCA, in an attempt to drive up attendance.

I'm not sure what became of the Hercules Electric Parade Units, but in previous similar topics, someone had mentioned that the Hercules Units would have been too large to run on the parade route at Disneyland.

It's really too bad that they spent the money for building these two floats, and only running them one time, when they could have planned for them to become a permanent part of the parade.

I wish I had been older when my parents took me to see this, one of the few memories I have from the evening is fighting with some kids who pushed us away from the police barrier at the last second. But seeing it New York City was magical. Wish they would do this again sometime.

But I too wish they would plug these Hercules floats into the actual parade and show Hercules some love.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

the Pegasus float had a large wing span. it was designed for NY streets. Pegasus simply could not fit on any parade routes at any of the disney themepark.

• Minion

Pegasus' wingspan is 25', I'm sure DCA's parade route is that wide, and if needed, they could just make his wings be stuck in the up position
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Maybe they'll bring it back one day as a "promotion" or something. Last Year they added Tinkerbell so why add two floats when you can just add one and say the whole parade is NEW!!!

I remember those well. Always thought it was a shame that they never used them again too. For that matter, what became of the Blue Fairy? I haven't seen it since before they added Tink, but I hear she's completely gone.

Thinks for the video Jordiekins. Great to see it well preserved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast