Thread: trip questions!

trip questions!

ok. so my boyfriend are planning a trip to disneyland in may-ish 2011 (i know awhile away but were saving up now). its going to be his birthday early may and regardless of when we go we'll be celebrating that. not to mention that he has never been.

i wanted us to stay at the disneyland hotel but now im not so sure with all the construction... is it worth spending more for a better room? which room should we try to get (remodeled or older)?

what in the parks should we make sure to do? best parts of the park?

and how busy will it be in may?

sorry about all the questions! =] Thanks
    Disneyland trips.
    1998. 1999. 2000. 2001. 2002. 2003. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012.
    Disneyworld trips.

• Nerd

Re: trip questions!

I think the DLH is nice. Old or new. If you really want to splurge and go all out, stay the the GCH...It has a lot of charm that DLH just lacks. GCH is the kind of place you just want to hang out at.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• It's Been My Pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    I think the DLH is nice. Old or new. If you really want to splurge and go all out, stay the the GCH...It has a lot of charm that DLH just lacks. GCH is the kind of place you just want to hang out at.
    The DLH has (what I would qualify as) a retro charm to it. It's a little more laid back in comparison to the GCH&S. A splurge at the DLH would get you 'more', compared to splurging just to get in to the GCH&S. You could obviously still utilize the restaurants, lobbies, lounges and bars of both hotels, but when you're bedding down for the night, you'll get a nicer room/upgrade for the money at the DLH.

The baseline rooms at the GCH just bore me. They feel cramped and stagnant... Not enough windows, I dunno. Now, the suites are truly something to behold, but at $6,500/night, I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

• Dreams do come true

Make sure to make reservations at the Blue Bayou 6 months in advance, its the best and can calm you before you run around again.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Emmy20065 View Post
    ok. so my boyfriend are planning a trip to disneyland in may-ish 2011 (i know awhile away but were saving up now). its going to be his birthday early may and regardless of when we go we'll be celebrating that. not to mention that he has never been.
    Have a great time! If you can afford it, make sure you can stay for a couple of days so you can really get everything you want to do during your stay.

i wanted us to stay at the disneyland hotel but now im not so sure with all the construction... is it worth spending more for a better room? which room should we try to get (remodeled or older)?
    I say try for the new rooms at the DLH. But, like people have said, the Grand Californian is spectacular! I really recommend staying there.

If you have enough time, do anything and everything you want! Get in all the E-Tickets, some dark rides, parades, Remember... Dreams Come True fireworks, World of Color. The Blue Bayou is great for a nice lunch or dinner, as is the Carnation Cafe on Main Street or River Belle Terrace in Frontierland for breakfast. Make sure you get some fun and cool souvenirs to remember your stay.

Shouldn't be too bad except for Memorial weekend. It will be very crowded then because of all the APs.

sorry about all the questions! =] Thanks
    No problem! Have a great time. We will be expecting a Trip Report when you get back though!

Quote Originally Posted by kaylas View Post
    Make sure to make reservations at the Blue Bayou 6 months in advance, its the best and can calm you before you run around again.
    Actually reservations at Disneyland or done only 3 months in advance...at least thats what I was told.
    Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kaylas View Post
    Restaurants allow reservations 60 days prior, and tours and premium seating can be reserved 30 days prior.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

I always book vacations through our AAA travel agents, he always done well, and we can make payments, when we've booked far out, so that is a nice perk. I'd say check out that option if you have AAA, and keep doing what you're doing asking questions and checking stuff out!
    Yaye!

My husband and I have gone the first part of may for the past couple of years and it is AMAZING! The weather is mild and there's hardly any crowds. To top it all off we use Ridemax (computer program that plans out when it is the best time to go on certain rides) and we pretty much walk onto everything. Except for the subs, of course. That was a 20 minute wait, but hey...it's the subs.

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moshilove View Post
    My husband and I have gone the first part of may for the past couple of years and it is AMAZING! The weather is mild and there's hardly any crowds. To top it all off we use Ridemax (computer program that plans out when it is the best time to go on certain rides) and we pretty much walk onto everything. Except for the subs, of course. That was a 20 minute wait, but hey...it's the subs.
    Is Ridemax something online, or something you purchase and install?
    Yaye!

alright. so im pretty sure we will stay in the DLH and request one of the new rooms (whats our chance of actually getting one btw?). we are kind of tight on money. we dont have AAA. i wish we did though.
    i was worried it might be busy because of the wine festival??
    ive never eaten at the Blue Bayou but i have always wanted to, maybe we will.
    thanks!
    Disneyland trips.
    1998. 1999. 2000. 2001. 2002. 2003. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012.
    Disneyworld trips.

Quote Originally Posted by phi1215 View Post
    ridemax is online. you buy it online and install it. so all of the above.
    Disneyland trips.
    Disneyworld trips.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Apirl and may you will have the wine and Food over in DCA
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day o 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

Quote Originally Posted by phi1215 View Post
    I've used RideMax as well. You purchase and install, although personally, it ended up being hard to go off of an itinerary. But when we did use it, it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmy20065 View Post

I would say the Disneyland Hotel is definitely worth it. It's a great feeling being on Disney property, right by Downtown Disney. And pool is stunning!! I highly recommend staying at the DLH. Although I would shoot for a newer room, as well as a view room.
    We had a view of the parking lot, which killed the magic for us a little bit.

GCH has an amazing grand lobby, but it has a more "Woodsy" type feel to it. The DLH makes you feel like you're in Disneyland, which I love.

Don't miss Fantasmic! if it's running (Priority Seating is a good way to ensure you get a good view, as it gets packed) It's a great show that everyone should see once.

I also enjoyed the Character Breakfast at the Plaza Inn. It was cute seeing all the characters (no matter what age you are) and the decor inside is beautiful. The food was really good too.

I went to Disneyland Resort in May, and the crowds were easy. Nothing too bad.