Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Re: Photo Update 4/10/10: Paradise Park

Thank you Mac Daddy. I love seeing transformations like that!

I think there are good and bad points about the new park. I'm excited about it having a boardwalk, new music, and I think once the planters fill in it will look better. I am concerned about shade in that area and, while it is nice that it is open for viewing WOC, I hope it won't come across as barren and sizzling hot in the summers. I know the fountain play area will help somewhat with that - but lack of shade can really hurt the atmosphere of a park. Aside from shade my only other dislike is the globe lights. I wish they had chosen a different shape. Otherwise I think they did a decent job with it.

Ah, but the globes stand out at night, just as they wanted them to!
    Do do do do do do dodododododo!

-My Electrical Parade Impersonation

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

First of all...thanks for your kind comments everyone! I just got back from a trip to the park today with the kids, and the new area is open, and it was great to finally be able to walk into the new area. The board walk wasn't open yet, but the park area was. No benches, umbrellas, or fountains, yet, but you can now walk around and take photos from across the bay once again.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Really? REALLY?

What exactly about the park is designed correctly? Or more aptly: what was it about the OLD park that was designed incorrectly?

Just judging from Mac's photos above, the old park had more trees, more grass, more shade and a better view of the Pier. It looked more like a park.

The new area is a seating area for WOC and really nothing more. It's flatter, sticks out into the bay further and just feels clunky and unnatural. Of course we all accept these faults because we know that it's really meant to be a seating area - but what kind of park doesn't have any trees?

It reminds me a lot of what they did to NOS for Fantasmic. There are a lot of people still bitter about that changeover today. While the New NOS lost a lot of the charm of the old version, it was a necessary change, as is the new park.

But a necessary change doesn't equal better design.
    In contrast to the "Hater" thread that is currently running, I really think it's interesting that we get such a wide variety of opinions on Micechat. Taking Mr. Liver's response to the new park/viewing area as an example, I will grant that the old area had more trees scattered in the park area and a handful around the surrounding area of the old amphitheater, as can be seen here:

But I think that we need to compare apples to apples. If this new area isn't a park, then neither was the old one. BOTH of these areas were designed primarily as viewing areas, and if we are comparing viewing areas, the old amphitheater was one of the most butt ugly things I've ever seen produced by the Disney company.

Butt.

Ugly.

I don't really have any photos that do it justice because I typically avoid taking shots of butt ugly things. The old amphitheater, walkway above, walkway along the water and area next to the Zephyr were just painfully ugly, and exemplified everything that was wrong about that side of the park. Most of us had complained loud and long on DCA hating threads about the almost maniacal use of concrete on that side of the park, and the lack of anything green once you got past that little patch of a "park" when you entered the Paradise Pier area. While that little patch of a park was certainly green, it was fenced off and offered little or no shade from the afternoon sun. And other than a few lamp posts scattered around, there really wasn't much to look at over there.

Compare that to what this area will eventually become. A fountain, umbrellas for shade, and benches along that entire area rather than the cement planters that were there before.

Furthermore, the material that they used for the new area is 1000 times more aesthetically pleasing than the concrete crap that they just took out. The new walkways are lined and actually have a color to them. Not to mention the surface of the walls that border the Bay. Butt ugly concrete vs. the detailed over-hang with the green railing along the beautiful new board walk. To me...not even close.

So...I'll be the first to admit that I haven't taken any design classes and I am no expert. But I would take this new Paradise park any day of the week and twice on Sunday over the old area. I actually want to photograph this new area. The old area was simply something I walked past to get a shot across the Bay. There is so much more to look at with the light posts, the planters, the fountain that will be coming, etc, etc. And even though the tall trees across the back will kill the view from the hotel, they really do add a nice dimension to the new area as well, and will provide shade across that brutally hot walkway during the Summer months.

So I would still give 9/10 rating to this new area, and am still very pleased with what Disney came up with.

But maybe that's just me. Like I said...we will all have our own opinions.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 04-11-2010 at 06:40 PM.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Compare that to what this area will eventually become. A fountain, umbrellas for shade, and benches along that entire area rather than the cement planters that were there before.
    Oh! There will be umbrellas and benches? I'm so glad to hear that. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

• Banned User

Whats funny is I think I had been to DCA about 20 times before they have closed the amphitheater and I dont think I ever stood foot in it once. Like SO MUCH of old DCA, it was just unappealing or went completely unnoticed because it was so plain and ugly. I never had an inkling to even go and take a picture there or anything. It did nothing for me.

While PP is really just another viewing area (until they get benches at least) at least its a very attractive and appealing one. You want to walk around in it, get pictures of the lagoon, etc. It DRAWS you in where as the amphitheater was just sort of, there.

But that said, the amphitheater did actually have seating .

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

One more quick handful before I crash for the night...

All of these are also from yesterday...

While I'm new, it didn't take me long to recognize several photographers who have stood out. Thanks for your time and commitment to those of us who cannot get our fix of the parks except through the eyes of others. A picture is truly worth a thousand opinions. A camera in the hands of someone who can document and inspire others to make images is a gift that you seem to have taken to heart. Thanks.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Whats funny is I think I had been to DCA about 20 times before they have closed the amphitheater and I dont think I ever stood foot in it once. Like SO MUCH of old DCA, it was just unappealing or went completely unnoticed because it was so plain and ugly. I never had an inkling to even go and take a picture there or anything. It did nothing for me.

While PP is really just another viewing area (until they get benches at least) at least its a very attractive and appealing one. You want to walk around in it, get pictures of the lagoon, etc. It DRAWS you in where as the amphitheater was just sort of, there.

But that said, the amphitheater did actually have seating .
    This.

I haven't had a chance to see in person the lay of the land around the pier now, but I'm having a hard time visioning how thousands of people will be able to get a good view of the show while "standing" in the viewing area. Especially if you have tall people in front of you. I'd want the premium spot, right up front. Oh wait!! They can charge people money for that!! Charge them $70 to be able to stand at the very front, and give them a donut or muffin for the event for while they stand there! Plus the fact that you will have to be standing for over an hour between getting there before the show starts and the running time of the actual show.

When they first started construction I thought they were going to enlarge and expand the amphitheater area so people could comfortably sit and enjoy the show. Or is there something with the new construction that I'm not seeing? Like I said, I haven't been there in person.

Oh and... great pictures as always!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Update: 4/12/10

The benches came in today, and I really have to reiterate what I said earlier: I really love what they've done to the place. I sat there this afternoon just watching the day go by listening to the new sound track...and for the first time in...well...ever, I feel like I have found a new place to sit and just enjoy the day...camera in hand of course. In the past, there were specific things I wanted to go on or take shots of, but no place in that entire park where I really felt I could just sit with a cup of coffee and watch the day go by. In Disenyland, that would be Main Street, Frontierland, Nos, or the Mark Twain.

In DCA, it's now Paradise Park.

So...here's just a few more shots from today featuring the new benches. (I am assuming that umbrellas will be forth coming as they were on the model next to the benches.)

On with the update...

First of all, it sure didn't take the photopass people long to figure out that this would be one of the best spots in the park...

Secondly, more cast members were getting the tour today. I saw two different groups move through while I was there...

The benches, as many of you have seen from Monorail Man's photo, are green with wooden slats, and are similar to the other benches around the Pier area. I'm guessing that there must be between 30 and 40 benches on the three different levels:

I can't wait for the board walk to open up along the water's edge AND for the WOC hardware to sink below the surface of the water. This place already looks amazing, and the uninterrupted surface of the water will only make it look better. Already, though, the park is the perfect spot for folks to stop for a chat while enjoying the view...

And...I'm already trying to find unique ways to photograph this area. As the roses grow in, you can bet I'll be back with my camera to get them from several different angles...

Again...I am VERY pleased with the new park, and plan to stop by there quite a bit during the next couple of months...before the Summer Crowds arrive in force.

That's all for now!
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 04-12-2010 at 08:14 PM.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Nice update again! The benches are great.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Thank you MacDaddy...you're pictures are always so beautiful and greatly appreciated. I cannot wait to experience this park myself when I go next week. Just looks like the perfect place to sit and rest. One of me and my bfs favorite things to do when we go to DLR is to just sit, relax, and enjoy everything...forget the stress of the real world. In DCA those areas are harder to find...we enjoy being underneath drop of GRR, pacific wharf, and winery. It sounds like Paradise Park will be this perfect spot to sit and chat and the view is priceless. Truly ties everything together...I love the details. So much, even in just the sidewalk.

• FastPass n00b

I can't even believe that there are "haters" of the Park! It looks so beautiful and stunning, and I haven't even been there, I'm sure it's probably WAY better being there with the new atmosphere. I'm not a Disney apologist by any means... in fact, I hate what they've done with it's a small world, Pirates of the Caribbean and their obsessive-compulsive dealings with Pixar in the parks (and even skeptical at first about the Captain EO subtractions), but this is just top-quality work with no faults whatsoever.

This is truly Disney Imagineers doing what they do best. It's not up to NOS standards, but it is so gorgeous and improves the atmosphere so much that I just don't think it really matters. Then when you take into account it's nothing more than a viewing area, it becomes even MORE impressive because they could've just made it an empty concrete slab. The balance between a viewing area and a gorgeously themed Victorian-era boardwalk is just perfect. There can be no room for hate in this area, it is an improvement all the way through!

The only thing is the amount of globe lights they used... wow, someone must have gotten a mass discount on them or something. My only thought is that they are filled with LEDs and are part of the show somehow, as part of the "interactive" surprises that aren't too much of a surprise anymore (like the "hidden" fountains). LEDs would allow those lights to change any color they wanted during the show.

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the update and the photos, can anyone tell me is the dome area, like the one at Golden Gate Park, open yet?
    Yaye!

I do understand some negativity about the new PP, but let's take this into context. The old park had grass- True: but it was fenced off so you couldn't actually enjoy it. PP has a great new boardwalk that is suitable for a waterfront facing bright colorful nighttime rides. Also regarding the trees- HUGE standing ovation for PP- Didn't anyone notice the gigantic trees no lining the backside of PP (more than twice the size of the previous trees) These had to be craned in (EXTREMELY expensive) Note, there location provides wonderful shade but, not obstructing views. The old park was nothing but concrete and more concrete- This has various textures and a wonderful fountain for the kids to play in/ And I will enjoy WOC and also wonderful music performances on the elevated stage.. Let's realize one very important thing: MANY of us love Disney- And with MANY comes the need to create spaces where we can all enjoy together. PP does this and so more!!

• A Malice in Wonderland...

I think Mr. Liver must be confused by the pictures. I mean I like trees as much as the next guy but I clearly remember strolling around the old park (note: around, not through) and have seen the new park. The new PP is just miles better than the old with quality and detail exuding from every trellis to every handrail. The park is period appropriate and the fencing doesn't look like something found at your local low rent apartment complex. There is a boardwalk and intricate tiling underfoot instead of bland and emotionless concrete slabs. The lighting is intimate and inviting instead of radiating industrial practicality. Oh did I mention the new park has an interactive play fountain for it's patrons and hidden fountains in the planters? While I do believe in everyone's right to an opinion, in my opinion any notion that the old park was superior is really kind of silly.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast