Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Photo Update 4/10/10: Paradise Park

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I hope they change the color of those trashcans, I don't think turquoise works. A dark green to match the railings would have been better.
    i have to disagree, that turquoise works well with that color pallette and it brings some color to the area. You also want to make sure that the trashcans are visible and not blend in to much to there surroundings

Dome area?
    Thanks for the images Mac Daddy!

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Very nice shots MacD!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

double
    Last edited by Baloo; 04-14-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    How so?
    because it wasn't really designed as a park to really sit down and explore.

The large planters with trees were actually designed to be temporary. they were to be replaced with structures to add to the overall "California MArket place" idea.

That area had three access points non designed to allow the proper flow to explore the area. two of them led directly into the concrete amphitheater with multi-tier steps that also functioned as uneven seating spots. Trees only placed along the walking areas which did not help shade any part of the park people would sit which is something that concerns you about the new park.

and like i said in my previous post, the bottom level started and end at the ends of the park into large concrete areas with no seating spaces since the grass areas were at a higher altitude. the walls in that whole bottom area were at least 5 feet tall.

If and when they had the acrobats the bottom walkway would be useless because people could not explore the area since it would create dead ends in the middle of the park. The new park has access stairs so that guests can continue exploring the rest of the park

• Banned User

Really? REALLY?

What exactly about the park is designed correctly? Or more aptly: what was it about the OLD park that was designed incorrectly?

Just judging from Mac's photos above, the old park had more trees, more grass, more shade and a better view of the Pier. It looked more like a park.

The new area is a seating area for WOC and really nothing more. It's flatter, sticks out into the bay further and just feels clunky and unnatural. Of course we all accept these faults because we know that it's really meant to be a seating area - but what kind of park doesn't have any trees?

It reminds me a lot of what they did to NOS for Fantasmic. There are a lot of people still bitter about that changeover today. While the New NOS lost a lot of the charm of the old version, it was a necessary change, as is the new park.

But a necessary change doesn't equal better design.
    I would agree, asthetically the new Paradise Park isn't very pretty to look at in the daytime, i.e. a lot of concrete, excessive number of lights, some shrubs with prickly leaves and no trees. DCA is a big heat trap with all of the concrete radiating heat, and I don't think WOC will be as popular as everybody believes it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I would agree, asthetically the new Paradise Park isn't very pretty to look at in the daytime, i.e. a lot of concrete, excessive number of lights, some shrubs with prickly leaves and no trees. DCA is a big heat trap with all of the concrete radiating heat, and I don't think WOC will be as popular as everybody believes it will be.
    Have you seen the video yet? How can it not be everything they have billed it to be? It's going to be incredibly popular. Just wait until the national media get's a couple highlight shots on the news. WDW will be building their own before you know it.

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blorgan View Post
    Dome area?
    Thanks for the images Mac Daddy!

The building that looks like the one in SF in the park, I can't remember the name of it. I saw it on Google Earth, but I've never seen it at the park, probably because I don't spend a lot of time at DCA. I was trying to figure out where it is, in the photos it looks like it's behind the walls, inaccessible to the public, but I didn't know if that will soon be open?
    Yaye!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by phi1215 View Post
    The building that looks like the one in SF in the park, I can't remember the name of it. I saw it on Google Earth, but I've never seen it at the park, probably because I don't spend a lot of time at DCA. I was trying to figure out where it is, in the photos it looks like it's behind the walls, inaccessible to the public, but I didn't know if that will soon be open?
    The original dome is part of the Palace of Fine Arts in SF. In DCA it used to be part of the Golden Dreams film attraction and now it's going to become part of the Little Mermaid attraction.

• ...my first visit to DL

Except I would rather have a nice park than a nice amphitheater.
    Wow Liver - this totally flies in the face of your usual "the park is successful as long as it turns a profit." I doubt that a nice little park will keep the turnstiles humming...but a nice amphitheater for World of Color will...

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    The original dome is part of the Palace of Fine Arts in SF. In DCA it used to be part of the Golden Dreams film attraction and now it's going to become part of the Little Mermaid attraction.
    Yes! Palace of Fine Arts, I kept drawing a blank! You wouldn't believe I lived in SF for 8 years would you, lol!! I must not have eaten my wheaties today, I have been forgetting everything!

Well bummer, I never got to check it out or see the film attraction. It will be interesting to see how they incorporate that into the new ride attraction.

Thank you very much for your reply, I can now move on with my day, lol!!!

Yaye!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234