Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Photo Update 4/10/10: Paradise Park

(Updated 4/12 to include new shots of the benches in post #39)

So the walls finally came down around Paradise Park today after months of construction. Before I get to the shots of the new park, I thought it might be good to share some shots of the transformation that has taken place over the last several months. So...let's travel back in time.

The year was....um....OK....so it was only 2009 when the walls went up, but it seems like years ago. Sadly, I only have a handful of shots of the park area before construction began. I think this was due to the fact that I was always shooting things that seemed much more interesting, like the Sun Wheel or the Orange Stinger. But here's what I managed to dig up:

From what I can remember, the lagoon/lake was drained late 2008 and the walls went up somewhere between Dec 08 and Jan 09...

Work continued throughout 2009...

And into 2010....

...until finally, after all of that work, the walls came down today and the new park appears to be very nearly finished...

(More to come...)
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 04-12-2010 at 08:16 PM.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Re: Photo Update 4/10/10: Paradise Park

It's amazing how pretty the park got. Great photos too! You're one of my favorite photographers on MC. c:
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Isn't it amazing when something is funded and designed correctly? Wish all of DCA was designed with this kind of quality to begin with. Still isn't on par with the quality of New Orleans Square but it is a huge step in the right direction; wish I could say the same about the ride portion of silly symphony swings.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Updated 4/12/10 - Photos of New benches on post #39)

I've got quite a few photos to post from this afternoon, but I'll just post a handful now and try to get a few more up tomorrow when I'm actually awake.

Before I do that though, I just wanted to mention how impressed I am with what Disney has done with this area. They very easily could have just left well enough alone and not bothered with World of Color...or retheming the Pier and surrounding area, or Carsland...or any of the other projects that are currently underway.

As I mentioned in the DCA tracker thread, today I caught a glimpse of what the park will be like in just a couple of years, after Carsland opens, and the Little Mermaid is up and running. It already FEELS like a different park between the new sound track, the large trees lining the walk, the planters with flowers already blooming, and those lightposts. So...kudos to Disney for not giving up on DCA. I know there was some discussion about this a couple years ago and I'm glad that Disney made the right decision because it is really paying off.

Here's just a handful of other shots, and I'll try to get some more up by tomorrow...

Last edited by Mac Daddy; 04-12-2010 at 08:17 PM.

• Dream in wonderful color!

Great pictures! Very impressed with what they did here - looking forward to seeing this for myself tomorrow.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Dive ..... Dive.....

I hope they change the color of those trashcans, I don't think turquoise works. A dark green to match the railings would have been better.

As always, beautiful shots and thanks Mac Daddy!

• Snap!

Wow, thanks for the shots, and thanks for the new updates especially. Looking good.

• The Ultimate DisneyGeek

Great pics ... Glad to see Paradise Park looking so nice !
    http://twitter.com/Mr_Disney

Disney Fan since 1995.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

Amazing shots. You're right this area is looking very polished. I cant wait to come back.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

• waitin' to board

Laffite's Landing.............yea I wish...currently about 700 miles away unfortunately.

..Nice pics....The area has had a good turnaround.
    Last edited by Treasure; 04-11-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: spelling

• Planning my next trip...

The transformation is impressive! The park is looking beautiful (finally)

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Awesome photos! Thanks for that, can't wait to see some more!
    Yaye!

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Isn't it amazing when something is funded and designed correctly?
    Really? REALLY?

What exactly about the park is designed correctly? Or more aptly: what was it about the OLD park that was designed incorrectly?

Just judging from Mac's photos above, the old park had more trees, more grass, more shade and a better view of the Pier. It looked more like a park.

The new area is a seating area for WOC and really nothing more. It's flatter, sticks out into the bay further and just feels clunky and unnatural. Of course we all accept these faults because we know that it's really meant to be a seating area - but what kind of park doesn't have any trees?

It reminds me a lot of what they did to NOS for Fantasmic. There are a lot of people still bitter about that changeover today. While the New NOS lost a lot of the charm of the old version, it was a necessary change, as is the new park.

But a necessary change doesn't equal better design.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Firstly, thank you very much for the photos Mac Daddy! It is greatly appreciated and quite interesting to see what is going on in the parks, as it happens.

For this particular topic, I must say I agree with MrLiver. Is it functional, basically visually pleasing and not garish, and will it perform it's job as a viewing area for the World of Color show? Yes, it will.

It looks nice, it fits in, but it's not meant to be something exciting: therefore I am not at all excited about it. I have nothing at all against it, construction looks solid, there's plenty of room for people to stand it would appear. But in the end, it is still just a wide open space that is correctly paved and installed. It isn't exactly something I get excited about. Then, the old one was just a park as well...both are fine, neither are exciting. DCA already has a lot of wide open, decently designed spaces for people to move...here is another.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast