Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

Am I the only one who thinks 3D for Star Tours 2.0 makes ZERO sense?!

At first, my initial thought was, "3D for Star Tours, how cool!" Then I actually started to think about it... how in the world would that actually make sense? Aren't riders supposed to be in a sealed spaceship? Don't our bodies implode when exposed to space? How can things be "popping out" at me when there is a window shield in the way?

Then I started to get angry, wondering how this went over the imagineers' heads. The thought of it is so very simple. Sure, it seems cool because it's freakin' Star Wars but on a practicality scale, it just isn't realistic. Not saying that Disneyland should be all about realism, but this is talking about space travel here. Are we all supposed to wear oxygen tanks too that don't expose us to the space air?

My point being is, the 3D on 2.0 is a beyond flawed idea and doesn't work. We can argue that it'll give depth to the scenery, which will certainly be amazing to look at but knowing this is Disney, Star Wars and a thrill ride, stuff will be flying towards the audience. I'm hoping they somehow rethink some of these ideas and maybe put a "shield" onto the 3D effects and maybe every time something "hits" the screen, it bounces off because if things are coming through, then that means either, we're going to be sucked out into space or there wasn't a window there to begin with. And neither are ideal.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Re: Am I the only one who thinks 3D for Star Tours 2.0 makes ZERO sense?!

Dictionary: "science fiction"

n.
    A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.
    Don't think about it. Just enjoy it. That's what makes Sci-fi and Disneyland so much fun.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

6 threads in less than 2 days?

I think someone should get there thread making privileges taken away

• Minion

I imagine the 3D will primarily be used to give the images realistic depth, as you mentioned, so the screen looks more like a cockpit window (I'm sure there's a proper name for that, but I'm not sure what it is) and less like a screen. I don't know how this works with 3D, but maybe they could have some things flying around that are supposed to be inside the cabin while still maintaining that the cockpit window is solid. Or maybe one of the perils we face will be a hole in the window caused by a laser blast/asteroid/whatever that flies at us (cue wind effects for the air being sucked out of the cabin) . Also, maybe some of the scenes will take place on a planet (They should still maintain the idea that there's a window, but if it breaks, it would be a lot more concievable that we'd "survive" )
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

We don't see things in 2d, yet that's what we've been looking at since the ride first opened. How is this experience more real than seeing it in 3d?

• The Study of Wumbo

This matter is discussed a little in Mousetalgia Episode #76, (the most recent one.)

Tim Babb (MCer) is on that one. Very funny.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Disagree. Avatar was in 3d and nothing was popping out at us. It gives depth, which 2D can't do. 3D is great for the ride. It will be Disney's first 3D ride, yes?

• Banned User

I think Best Brains best summed up the issue here in the opening song
    of MST3K:

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes, and other science facts,
    Repeat to yourself, "It's just a show, and I should really just relax."

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    At first, my initial thought was, "3D for Star Tours, how cool!" Then I actually started to think about it... how in the world would that actually make sense? Aren't riders supposed to be in a sealed spaceship? Don't our bodies implode when exposed to space? How can things be "popping out" at me when there is a window shield in the way?

Then I started to get angry, wondering how this went over the imagineers' heads. The thought of it is so very simple. Sure, it seems cool because it's freakin' Star Wars but on a practicality scale, it just isn't realistic. Not saying that Disneyland should be all about realism, but this is talking about space travel here. Are we all supposed to wear oxygen tanks too that don't expose us to the space air?

My point being is, the 3D on 2.0 is a beyond flawed idea and doesn't work. We can argue that it'll give depth to the scenery, which will certainly be amazing to look at but knowing this is Disney, Star Wars and a thrill ride, stuff will be flying towards the audience. I'm hoping they somehow rethink some of these ideas and maybe put a "shield" onto the 3D effects and maybe every time something "hits" the screen, it bounces off because if things are coming through, then that means either, we're going to be sucked out into space or there wasn't a window there to begin with. And neither are ideal.
    u are the only one.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleMover Eric View Post
    u are the only one.
    This, and this:

Quote Originally Posted by socalkdg View Post
    Disagree. Avatar was in 3d and nothing was popping out at us. It gives depth, which 2D can't do. 3D is great for the ride. It will be Disney's first 3D ride, yes?

• =)

I see others have already got this covered. Indeed, "3D" and "popping out" are not synonymous.

Also, your body wouldn't implode in space. You wouldn't live for very long, but the biggest problem is simply the fact that you can't breathe. If you want to read about all the grisly but survivable things that happen in your the first moments exposed to a vacuum, I'll let NASA explain.

Q:"Am I the only one who thinks 3D for Star Tours 2.0 makes ZERO sense?!""

A: Pretty much, yeah.

• Seasick

No 3D. No sound effects either, as sound does not travel in space. Everyone must wear a sealed space suit. Prior to boarding, guests must undergo several weeks of intense preparation for the rigors of space travel.

And not just on Star Tours 2, the same rules need to be applied to Space Mountain.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    No 3D. No sound effects either, as sound does not travel in space. Everyone must wear a sealed space suit. Prior to boarding, guests must undergo several weeks of intense preparation for the rigors of space travel.

And not just on Star Tours 2, the same rules need to be applied to Space Mountain.
    nice!!

I think that the 3D will suit Star Tours nicely. If you watch the demo video that was shown at the D23 Expo, you'll see how some of the 3D will work. There's a spot where Sebulba drops something, and it hits the screen, and falls down. It's not going to fly into the cockpit.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jQaHgsKhQ4]YouTube - Star Tours II[/ame]

• Circle of Ancients

I'm not a big fan of 3D but if it's done right it should be awesome for Star Tours II.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast