Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 72
  1. #1

    • gyre & gimble in the wabe
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    274

    Locations on CM badges...

    I was thinking about this off and on and was wondering what or if you all thought about the Cast-Member badges having the location of where that person is from displayed on them. Do you think it helps to personalize you with that person or do you think that it breaks the show a little to mention places in the "outside world" to the guest while in the parks? I personally think that the badges should only have that CM's name (and the flag indicating they speak a foreign language) and that's it. To me it's a little weird to be interacting with someone in some magical land and that persons badge says Fullerton, CA or whatever, it just doesn't mesh well. Also considering to the rest of the population of the world, i.e. non-Californians it is totally meaningless. What do you all think?
    Feed the Birds. It's not just a song, it's a way of life.

  2. #2

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bellflower, CA
    Posts
    21

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    i just look at some of the people who are quite a drive away and wonder.. do they really drive all that way to work at disneyland? some of them are an hour or more away.

  3. #3

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    I've always wondered why TDA decided to implement this in Anaheim. It is perfectly relevant for WDW because of the amount of international tourism and the fact that they specifically hire foreigners for the world showcase.

    But it's not like Bob would be preferred to Bill because Bob is from Fullerton and Bill is from Downey.

  4. #4

    • I'm not really here
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Too Far From Disneyland
    Posts
    10,991

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    Personally, I don't like having their hometown on their badges. Cast members in a play don't have their hometown on their costumes do they? Disneyland is a stage and the cast members there shouldn't have their hometown on display either. For all intents and purposes, a CM is a resident of the place they are working. John Smith working the load for Peter Pan is a resident of Fantasyland... Alhambra, CA simply does not exist. Jane Doe taking Fastpasses at Indy is not from Pasadena, but from Adventureland.

    It's subtle, but it breaks theme in a very fundamental way. It reminds you that these outside places exist and pulls you out of where you are. It reminds you that you are merely in a theme park in the middle of Anaheim rather than actually exploring the Jungles or ruins of a temple. You can't forget the outside world and soar over London with Peter Pan if you've just been reminded of Brea.

    Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

  5. #5

    • Yes, that is my real name
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Far Northern, California, United States
    Posts
    2,323
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Personally, I don't like having their hometown on their badges. Cast members in a play don't have their hometown on their costumes do they? Disneyland is a stage and the cast members there shouldn't have their hometown on display either. For all intents and purposes, a CM is a resident of the place they are working. John Smith working the load for Peter Pan is a resident of Fantasyland... Alhambra, CA simply does not exist. Jane Doe taking Fastpasses at Indy is not from Pasadena, but from Adventureland.

    It's subtle, but it breaks theme in a very fundamental way. It reminds you that these outside places exist and pulls you out of where you are. It reminds you that you are merely in a theme park in the middle of Anaheim rather than actually exploring the Jungles or ruins of a temple. You can't forget the outside world and soar over London with Peter Pan if you've just been reminded of Brea.

    I think your point is very valid in those situations.

    Personally though, I think it kind of neat to see that there are people from all over the world that work there.

    On our last trip my husband made a game of talking to CM's (especially servers, hosts, maintenance, monorail operators, ect.) and would ask them how long they've worked at Disneyland, did they miss their home, what was the biggest difference being in CA vs elsewhere and ect. He travels for a living and is a geography major so he's pretty familiar with CA, I am not however, so when we'd see someone with a location in CA he would ask them what is it about working for Disney that makes them jump in a car and drive that far to work every day. Most of the responses there was a typical Disney approved answer of because it's a really happy job, but I feel they truly meant it when they said, and that's really awesome to me! How many people can smile and feel happy when someone asks them, do you like your job?
    Yaye!

  6. #6

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    ^ What mycroft said! It breaks immersion by reminding us of the world outside the berm.

    It also breaks immersion by reminding us of the tone of corporate "employee motivation" campaigns, which this dimbulb idea reeks of.

    Another example of TDA's cluelessness about the basic concepts of Disneyland-style show and showmanship.

    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  7. #7

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,059

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    I've always wondered why TDA decided to implement this in Anaheim. It is perfectly relevant for WDW because of the amount of international tourism and the fact that they specifically hire foreigners for the world showcase.

    But it's not like Bob would be preferred to Bill because Bob is from Fullerton and Bill is from Downey.
    Hey!! What's wrong with being from Downey?



  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    235

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    This started as part of the 50th anniversary and the slogan, "The Happiest Homecoming on Earth". Disney wanted to showcase where their CM's are from and to put an emphasis on the "Homecoming". Unless your from (CM's) out of state, I can't see this generating too much interest from the guests. As I understand it from the CM's that I know, you choose your city or state, so it does not have to be your current place of residence, and you are not obligated to have one printed at all if you so choose. It has become a normal thing to see this now, and the turn over with park CM's is so high that most of them were not even around in 2005 when this started. I would expect to see this continue for some time.

  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    Hey!! What's wrong with being from Downey?
    Nothing, I picked the city out of a hat perhaps I should have said Death Valley so that nobody would get offended.

    If I was still working there I would have found some way to make my location "Mars"

  10. #10

    • Yes, that is my real name
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Far Northern, California, United States
    Posts
    2,323
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    Quote Originally Posted by disneylanddad View Post
    This started as part of the 50th anniversary and the slogan, "The Happiest Homecoming on Earth". Disney wanted to showcase where their CM's are from and to put an emphasis on the "Homecoming". Unless your from (CM's) out of state, I can't see this generating too much interest from the guests. As I understand it from the CM's that I know, you choose your city or state, so it does not have to be your current place of residence, and you are not obligated to have one printed at all if you so choose. It has become a normal thing to see this now, and the turn over with park CM's is so high that most of them were not even around in 2005 when this started. I would expect to see this continue for some time.
    When we went in 2005 I thought the badges said the year they began working for Disneyland? I vaguely recall someone's badge saying something like Class of 1996 or something to that effect?
    Yaye!

  11. #11

    • Here's my 2 cents
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Potsdorf, Carpania
    Posts
    814

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    Yes, what mycroft said!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    25 miles from K-Lot
    Posts
    69

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    Quote Originally Posted by phi1215 View Post
    When we went in 2005 I thought the badges said the year they began working for Disneyland? I vaguely recall someone's badge saying something like Class of 1996 or something to that effect?
    Yes you are correct. The hometown started with the Year of a Million Dreams name tags

  13. #13

    • The Study of Wumbo
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greenwich, CT
    Posts
    1,822

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    Whenever my mom sees a CM with a name tag from Warren, Youngstown, Cleveland, or Akron, Ohio, she starts a big conversation. My mom's originally from Warren.

    I don't think it's a bad thing, I guess.
    -Hale (wumbology)

    a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

    (I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])



  14. #14

    •   
    • Disneyland History Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chula Vista, CA
    Posts
    1,928

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    I've always thought it was kind of cool that they do that. I never made the connection of it ruining the illusion, but now that I'm aware of such an issue I'm sure I will any time I read a CM's nametag in the future.

  15. #15

    • N/A
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    54

    Re: Locations on CM badges...

    Quote Originally Posted by disneylanddad View Post
    As I understand it from the CM's that I know, you choose your city or state, so it does not have to be your current place of residence, and you are not obligated to have one printed at all if you so choose.
    City is chosen by CM, but under sometimes strict, sometimes not policies about what can be selected. Many small towns are not allowed because they aren't 'on the list' or share a zip code with the neighboring town that actually has the post office or the like.

    Although the enforcement is all over the place as Hollywood, CA (for example) can be found on name tags even though - surprise - as USPS will confirm it's not a real city.

    If a CM chooses not to list a city the hometown isn't left blank; it's listed as "Anaheim, CA".

    Quote Originally Posted by phi1215 View Post
    Most of the responses there was a typical Disney approved answer of because it's a really happy job, but I feel they truly meant it when they said, and that's really awesome to me! How many people can smile and feel happy when someone asks them, do you like your job?
    Disney has yet to tell me that I have to say I love my job, etc. I just really do!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] DL badges in the 80s ?
    By DisneyFan28 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2009, 08:17 PM
  2. micechat badges
    By thrax in forum Merchandise Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 04:21 PM
  3. red name badges
    By wierdbutloveable in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-31-2006, 12:09 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •