Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

In defense of Celebrate! A Street Party

-Yes, We all miss Parade of Dreams. It was lovely.
    -Yes, maybe the entertainment department can do better. It has in the past.
    -And yes, maybe we should have gotten something new this year.

But is whining about any of these things purely realistic in these times? Don't act so shocked and appalled. Money isn't everywhere these days. Not to mention Disney is putting a lot of the money it already has into other things. (Hint, hint: DCA) Also, not to mention C!ASP is not a parade. And before anyone says anything; No.. No it's not a parade. No. It simply falls into a completely different and unique category. So for the love of God and all that is holy please stop calling it one.

I can understand why it may be viewed as unattractive to some. I mean, it's loud and in your face. It's different. (Ahemm It's a party.) And it leaves a hole in the hearts for those who yearn for it's predecessor. But I don't understand why people would consider it flat out "terrible". Honestly people. Have you ever even given it a chance? Have you ever gotten down in it, and even let yourself enjoy it a little bit? I highly doubt it. What about the positive reception guests have been giving it? People love it. And don't tell me they don't know any better. It's not like none of these people were around just 2 years ago.

Also, before I continue, let me point out Pixar Play Parade, which runs 6 days a week (not on Thursdays) and has been running non stop since March 2008? C!ASP haters never seem to mention this. I wonder why?

Back to Celebrate: So what about the cast members in the show? I am a dancer. Not a great one, but alas, I am one. It's a hobby. I've been taking classes for a while now. Let me just say it takes all of my concentration and energy to even get a combination half as complex as the Celebrate choreography right. It looks easy, but it's not.

So. These skilled, hard working performers that smile so brightly when they take the stage: Would you tell them, face to face, that this show is "terrible"?
    Would you tell these kids, who dance their HEART out, who get paid comparably less than others in entertainment, with considerably less hours, that their show is "awful" or "crap"?

The bottom line is I don't get how bitter some people are about this show. And me? Well, I'm just going to keep on Celebrating.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

Re: In defense of Celebrate! A Street Party

Good argument.
    I think the Pixar Play Parade is different because it has actual sets that are wonderful to look at. It "feels" more Disney.
    I've sat through it (now talking about C!ASP) and watched it and I was very un-entertained. My girlfriend and I both wished we stood in line for something else in the mean time. But I want to see Disney characters. I want to see sets. I want to hear magical music. There's a feeling of emptiness after watching it for me. The other day at Universal, a place with 0 parades or anything of the like, had a flash Universal characters mob dance in the middle of the most uncrowded area in the park and even that was more entertaining. Why? I don't know. Maybe because it was unexpected. Maybe because the music was fun. Maybe because they were wearing suits. Who knows.
    And to be honest, if one of them did ask me what I thought of the show, I'd give my honest opinion. I've been known to break a few hearts for being "too honest." It's just in my nature but I ALWAYS give positive feedback for whatever I did like and make sure my criticism is constructive. I never want anything I say to seem like the end of the world for something. Even if I hated everything about something and only liked one thing, I make sure that one thing stands out like it were something amazing. So for the economic times we're facing now, in some way, I have to believe there is a bit of money or old floats stationed in the back somewhere for a better parade. Maybe they're saving it for the 55th. Maybe they just don't want to go back on their theme of the year of "celebrating" (which I never liked to be honest). But I know other people like it and I'll let them like it. It's supposed to be fun but it doesn't work for me. I don't want to say I'm hard to please either because there are so many things that are so easily on my likable list that's ridiculous that I even like them. I just have a very acquired taste, I suppose and there's no room for C!ASP in it.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    -Yes, We all miss Parade of Dreams. It was lovely.
    -Yes, maybe the entertainment department can do better. It has in the past.
    -And yes, maybe we should have gotten something new this year.

But is whining about any of these things purely realistic in these times? Don't act so shocked and appalled. Money isn't everywhere these days. Not to mention Disney is putting a lot of the money it already has into other things. (Hint, hint: DCA) Also, not to mention C!ASP is not a parade. And before anyone says anything; No.. No it's not a parade. No. It simply falls into a completely different and unique category. So for the love of God and all that is holy please stop calling it one.

I can understand why it may be viewed as unattractive to some. I mean, it's loud and in your face. It's different. (Ahemm It's a party.) And it leaves a hole in the hearts for those who yearn for it's predecessor. But I don't understand why people would consider it flat out "terrible". Honestly people. Have you ever even given it a chance? Have you ever gotten down in it, and even let yourself enjoy it a little bit? I highly doubt it. What about the positive reception guests have been giving it? People love it. And don't tell me they don't know any better. It's not like none of these people were around just 2 years ago.

Also, before I continue, let me point out Pixar Play Parade, which runs 6 days a week (not on Thursdays) and has been running non stop since March 2008? C!ASP haters never seem to mention this. I wonder why?

Back to Celebrate: So what about the cast members in the show? I am a dancer. Not a great one, but alas, I am one. It's a hobby. I've been taking classes for a while now. Let me just say it takes all of my concentration and energy to even get a combination half as complex as the Celebrate choreography right. It looks easy, but it's not.

So. These skilled, hard working performers that smile so brightly when they take the stage: Would you tell them, face to face, that this show is "terrible"?
    Would you tell these kids, who dance their HEART out, who get paid comparably less than others in entertainment, with considerably less hours, that their show is "awful" or "crap"?

The bottom line is I don't get how bitter some people are about this show. And me? Well, I'm just going to keep on Celebrating.
    In point of fact, your post is less a "defense" of CASP and more an emotional rant and ad hominem harangue against those who don't like it, as the sections I've highlighted show.

You're certainly free to have whatever opinion you want about CASP, and I respect that.

But to launch a thread that is a diatribe against those whose only crime is to have a different opinion about CASP than yours is rude, uncalled for, and an unnecessary pot-stirring of the forum; to call it a "defense," when it is blatantly a beratement of other MC members, is disingenuous.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

It honestly wasn't that "rude" to be that defensive about his defense post. Couldn't you have easily just posted your opinion on the matter and left it alone? He's obviously passionate about the show and is being a little colorful with his opinion. Nobody was singly called out for their opinions and belittled. In the end, you didn't even defend your stance on his defense really.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Maybe just take a break from the parades for a while and we'll be all set.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    In point of fact, your post is less a "defense" of CASP and more an emotional rant and ad hominem harangue against those who don't like it, as the sections I've highlighted show.

You're certainly free to have whatever opinion you want about CASP, and I respect that.

But to launch a thread that is a diatribe against those whose only crime is to have a different opinion about CASP than yours is rude, uncalled for, and an unnecessary pot-stirring of the forum; to call it a "defense," when it is blatantly a beratement of other MC members, is disingenuous.

Agreed.

• Minion

But is whining about any of these things purely realistic in these times? Don't act so shocked and appalled. Money isn't everywhere these days.

I haven't seen CASP!, but speaking to this argument in general - money isn't everywhere these days, but it sure is in the Disney company. I'm sure they've taken a hit to some degree, but I don't buy the "poor, poor corporation" argument. As one of the most popular theme parks in America, I'm sure they're still raking in the dough. And if not, can't they borrow a little from the Hannah Montana division? And if all else fails, they could just use some of that money they haven't spent developing great original attractions for the last decade.

BTW, Disney classics like The Three Little Pigs (cartoon short) and Snow White were produced during The Great Depression.

As far as the "hard work" element - I don't think anybody is arguing that the dancers didn't work hard on the parade. The animators of The Wild rendered thousands of hairs for Samson the lion and the other characters. I'm sure that was a lot of hard work too, and as an aspiring animator, I respect that. But I still didn't like the movie, for story, tone, and character reasons.
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 04-16-2010 at 02:05 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Good points animagusurreal, especially on "The Wild" comparison. I sadly have forgotten about that movie until you now mentioned it. I guess that's one way Dreamworks trumped Disney (even though I dislike Madagascar too) :-/

• Parmageddon Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post

You do that.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Parade of Dreams... good parade? LOL. LAWL. HAR HAR.

Sad that people consider drivel like Parade of Dreams as good. I remember when parades used to actually be good.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Minion

ICE oh ICE where art thou? Here is a thought for the subject in any attraction, parade, or entertainment show people are going to have different opinions a debate on these opinions is where points on both sides are discussed not the actual people or the tone of their point.

I think the largest strike against C!ASP is its location. Had it premiered in DCA instead of Disneyland, I think it would have been viewed much more favorably. Unfortunately, it the modern/post-modern street party just clashes with the classic feel that Disneyland evokes.

I'd still like to see C!ASP become the nighttime parade (as I've heard it's a more enjoyable experience at night) at DCA when the MEP comes back to Disneyland proper.

• no flash photography...

I think it's ok...not great...and Disney is known for great...not just scrapping by with ok...so there lies the disappointment. It's not a bad pararde, but it's not up to the disney standard.

• Hukuna Matata!

[QUOTE=Alex E;1055939778] the entertainment department can do better. we should have gotten something new this year.
    I can understand why it may be viewed as unattractive it's loud and in your face. It's different. I am a dancer. Not a great one, QUOTE]

It seems like you have some deep down conflictions with Celebrate. I wouldn't compare The Pixar Parade to Celebrate, Pixar to me is a great show, yet that is my opinion I feel I have the right to express myself about that dislike for the parade. Your rant is more negative than most threads I have read against Celebrate. Maybe you are just having a bad day and nothing more, I would hate to imagine that you take this so seriously, I'm sure your better than that.

• Disney Fan & Musician

I'm going to be the minority here, but I don't mind the "street party". I don't enjoy it as much as PoD, but it gets the job done. Many people enjoy it and that's all that matters. Us purists will keep asking for something better than what Disney puts out.

I kinda like it. It's a different feel than the rest of their street entertainment. I give them props for trying to do that. Although, I'm very bummed that we did not get Worlds of Wonders this year. Hopefully we'll get Jubilation.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast